Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azcactusflower

mosaicing a birdhouse

azcactusflower
13 years ago

Has anyone on this forum done any mosaicing on a birdhouse. How did it turn out? What kind of grout did you use? Any pics? Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, pics, etc. given.

Comments (16)

• silvamae
    13 years ago

I have mosaiced about a hundred or more. They all turned out great. I used sanded grout, and it's easier if you mosaic a section at a time, i.e. the roof and the bottom, let them cure and seal them, then the next day, the body. I have done the entire birdhouse at once but it's stressful. Any questions, let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: birdhouse

• azcactusflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you silvamae for your quick response. Your little house is so cute!!! I love it!!! Can I buy the sanded grout at home depot? What did you seal it with? thanks for the hints you gave me so I don't stress out. I read in your member's page that you have a home studio where you do mosaic art. It is so nice to communicate with someone who knows what they are doing, unlike a newbie like me!!!!
    I am in the process of trying to find some pretty dishware to break into pieces. I live in a very small rural area and so dishware is hard to find. I have found several plates but need a few more so I can coordinate the colors. This weekend I hope to go to several yard sales, hopefully I will find some more. WHEN, I get it done I will post a pic. Thanks again.

• azcactusflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry silvamae, I do have another question. What is the best glue to use to attach the pieces to the birdhouse?

• silvamae
    13 years ago

I started out using Weldbond, then switched to MAC glue. I order MAC glue from Maryland Mosaics. Below is a link if you would like to check out my blog. On the right side are some helpful links.

Here is a link that might be useful: silva's blog

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Such a sweet birdhouse Silva. Love the color.
    Do you put it outside for the birds or is it decorative?
    Kathy

• texaswild
    13 years ago

That's suuuuuuuuch a beautiful little birdbath, SILVA. Nice job all over.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Silvamae is our BirdHouse Queen!!! Yes you can get sanded grout at Home depot and sealant also, I go(cuz I can in my town) to a specialty tile store and buy outdoor mortar and outdoor grout and sealer. I am finding that even with that, certain tiles/dishes I have used, still crack/chip off with the freezing!!! grrr! All that work and WHY don't I ever bring stuff in for the winter!?!? Ususally I enjoy having "something" out in the yard to still look at after the plants die down, then it gets so cold I just never wanna get out there and haul some of that heavy stuff in the shed

• silvamae
    13 years ago

Thanks! My birdhouses all start out as wooden birdhouses from Michaels (craft store). They can't stand up to the outdoors; no matter how much I seal them, they would eventually fall apart. The first thing I do to a birdhouse is knock out the wooden perch and install my own and then mosaic from there, using the perch as the "theme." Here's another little birdhouse (below).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• azcactusflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is so cute!! You might as well post more pics silvmae because they must only get better and better. Yes I agree with calamity, you are our EXPERT and QUEEN of mosaic birdhouses. I'm raring to go but got to visit a few more yardsales this weekend so I can get my pieces ready. Gee thanks to all of you who offered help and hints. That is why I love these forums, everyone is so ready to help and get a person going on something good. As my little granddaughter says, tank ou, tank ou, tank ou!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love this one too. The pepper perch is perfect!

I don't bring things in for the winter either. I'm trying to gather plates that might last out there. They tend to not be the ones I love tho.

Kathy

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Those birhouses are so cute....and we'll look at ALL the pics that you care to post!

• anneinva_2009
    13 years ago

I pick up lots of plates at thrift stores. I think they would be cheaper than yard sales. Less work too. just make a habit of visiting them every so often to see what comes in. Also on etsy you can buy plates that have already been cut into little pieces. I have bought them and they are pretty.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I have a plate collection too, but I'm concerned about which ones will last out doors. I think Slow told about the tongue test - if it sticks to your tongue on a break, its too porous and will absorb too much moisture. Since its frowned on to break before you buy, I guess we just have to collect a lot!
    I am getting a sense of them with experience however.
    I'm wondering if Calamity J's plates that bust offthe mosaics in the winter all passed the tongue test. I love plates the best and really want to use them outside.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Kathy, I think that any plate would chip and that it all should be put away in the winter from now on, I have more casualties this winter and am fed up with myself! I'm clearing a spot in the shed and start putting it all away! I have used all porceline and it still cracks, just not made to be chopped up and have rain and freeze as it's use.

• Denise Erspamer
    8 years ago

Since the original post are there any newer products to seal a mosaic wood birdhouse for outdoors?

• Dawn Walker
    3 years ago

I want to know about the sealant, not the grout.

Sponsored