Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine45_gw

grout before or after installation?

sunshine45
14 years ago

I've just finished gluing down tiles on my first mosaic, a smallish (18 by 48 inch) backsplash piece for a built in kitchen hutch. (!) I might be hooked. Still waiting for that vicious cut in my finger to heal, though.

I used glass mosaic tiles from the tile store and some stained glass, as well as slices of blue agate, adhered with Lexel on clear 1/4 inch plexiglass to take advantage of the white wall behind it. Trying to ensure success, I made the design very simple. Originally, I thought something backlit would be gorgeous, but the plexi is too thin for this idea to work, I think.

Anyway, I'd planned to grout the mosaic before mounting it, but the plexiglass has some "give" to it, and I'm concerned that the grout will crack while I am trying to fit the piece in the backsplash area. . .But grouting it after installation makes me extremely nervous (new, beautiful cabinet and granite countertop).

Is there a certain kind of grout that won't crack as easily?

I lurked on this forum for a while before I decided to proceed with the project last fall. Reading all the helpful posts and seeing such fantastic and inspirational photos really convinced me that I could do this. . .but now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks to everyone and anyone in advance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington