Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Seahorse Update...Finally!!!

Calamity_J
13 years ago

I guess it just took buying $100 more worth of stained glass for this project, for it to come to fruitition!Sheesh! I had bought a sheet of uroburos for $60...not enough bling...bought some irridecent glass...ahhh! That did it! Had to have both to get my "vision". Irridecent stuff went around the eyes and on the fins...so far, and the new uroburos(also had a sheet of plain-er stuff)chopped up to go on the belly?part...You can see in the right side of the background, the other sheet of glass waiting to be nipped up! This will be grouted in....BLACK...of Course!!!ha! Just can't get me away from the black!ha!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (35)

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

That is so cool!!!

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Hot diggity dog! Awesome!

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

It is truly amazing what you have done with the seahorse. He is going to be absolutely gorgeous when you are done with him. The colors are just beautiful!! He would really enhance and add beauty to anyone's garden. Where do you plan to display him?

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! He's so wonderful.
    ($60/sheet seriously, glad I like old plates, tho if I don't find more for outdoors I may go your route there.)

I can't wait to see him completed.
    Black grout sounds like a good idea.

I've gotta print some pics of our visit to you too.
    I don't think I've told you how much I love my rock tumbler. I've used it soooo much! 10 minutes in that baby and no more cuts to my fingers!
    Kathy

• texaswild
    13 years ago

W/be a real beauty, CALAM. I w/NEVER attempt to mosaic something w/such texture. Your choice of glass is wonderful. Love that sheet on the floor. Is that ball chain you're using, and is it the large balls? Wish I could find the large stuff. Even the small is too expensive for my stingyness. What is the little thing right on his forehead? Also, where is the triptyche from that hangs on the wall in back? Oh, BTW, I discovered that if you click on the image it enlarges it nicely.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Everyone! I am sorta hoping to sell this guy, to recoup costs, but who knows, he may have to live by the pond! Yes, I have ball chain on him, I recycled it at the recycle thrift store...it comes off the window blinds they end up tossing into the recycle pile cuz we get so many, can't sell them all, so I was taking off the chain before it got tossed. The thing on his forehead is a glass star that Cindy/Klinger made with her kiln, and a mold she got from yours truly for Christmas! Very Cool!!! I am thinking of also using the glass starfish around the bottom that she also made. That is a poster on the wall in the background of a Tiffany window(I cut it out so it looks like a window!) I was so excited to get a wip pic up yesterday and my camera battery was dead! So got a quick shot of him and I tell ya, he is SUPER blingy when the sun hits him!!! There was reflection from him all over the wall behind him!!! LOVE!!!! I am hoping to finish mosaicing him today, we shall see...am torn with getting out in the yard and tidying up too, the weather has been so rainy/cold, that any sunny day is pulling me outside...to go see what spring bulbs are coming up(like a kid at Christmas with being a newbie gardener)heh heh!

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Oh WOW....he is seriously gorgeous! I love that iridescent glass. Can't wait to see more (although I totally understand wanting to get outside to play in the yard too!!)
    Sheryll

• silvamae
    13 years ago

Wow! That is awesome! KING of the seahorses.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HEY! Fellow Canuck!!! Where ya from?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is raining outside, so I can play>guilt free!ha! So I just KNEW I would end up hand cutting/custom the body pcs!!! I was sorta hoping I would just nip them and finish this part that way...but ohhh no, > NOT! It would just be too much the same...I just have this "vision" in my head, and now that I have seen what it is gonna look like, I am HAPPY!!! I switched to mortar, used up 2 tubes of silicone already, and wanna save the silicone for a GOG. The mortar and the extreme 3d-ness of this is a challenge, but oh well.I was hoping to just whip this off today, but not with all the hand/custom cutting...

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Looking GORGEOUS. That's a real tough piece to mosaic. You can do it, though - you're a pro.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

That is really amazing! I could see that outside around a swimming pool or pond. I admire your patience to deal with something so intricate! Great work!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One side Done!!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

That is looking so great!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Oh wow - you made a LOT of progress - LOVIN' this, and the black grout w/really set it off.

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

You are just flying on this, considering the challenges he's presented! He is looking wonderful!! Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but to me he looks a little bit coy, like he's saying 'See? I'm worth every cent of all that glass you bought for me, aren't I?' :)

I didn't realize you were Canuck as well! For some reason I seem think everyone here is from Texas. I'm in Northwest Ontario...still probably a good month from being able to play in the yard...so plenty of guilt free time yet to spend in my craft cave. Hmmm, trying to convince myself that's a good thing, but I'm not buying it

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Too Funny Shrill!!lol! But You may be right about him, I am falling in love with him! I may be thinking green grout now too....boy, I sure have a fair amount of cuts all over my fingers!ha! May need to take a day to heal! NAAAA!ha! I am Livin' in My Craft Cave these days, Hubby comes in and feeds me/visits me!lol!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finished this Baby!!! Wish I could get to my fav part...GROUTING! But gotta let it dry. Added Klinger's starfish(she made with her kiln!)

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Absolutely spectacular. Don't know how you work so danged fast. Took me all day pracly to just apply mortar to mine. However, since I got up at 4:30, I had to take a short rest. Wish my favorite part was grout - I hate grouting. Can you believe you'll be finished w/this darlin' project tomorrow??? Love those starfish. I love the stuff Cindy brought to me in PV. This thing looks really heavy. W/it take you and DH to move it to your pond?

• amerique2
    13 years ago

What a beauty, Calam! Loving it.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Only took me 3/4hr to grout this!!! Had to wait Alll day, had so much company...when I wanted was to be left alone with Seahorse!lol! Here's some pics, 1st one has my assistant!lol! With a pic of me wiping off the excess with just a cut up pc of towel(learned that here, waaaaay faster/less messy than a bucket or 2 of water and a sponge, sheesh, those days are OVER!

{{gwi:135303}}

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Absolutely glorious, CALAM. You make it sound so easy. That w/have taken me all day to grout, and a few sheets of newspaper wouldn't have been enough to catch the mess I w/have made. Beautiful project, m'lady. Please post a picture of it in place by your pond.

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

My jaw just about hit the floor when I got to that last picture! He is just STUNNING - that black grout sets off the glass perfectly!! I really like the starfish you added to the base, too. He looks like a keeper to me!

I have to admit I'm also drooling over your workspace, so bright and airy and BIG! If we ever move, one of my 'must haves' for the new house is going to be a room like that!

• glassgypsy
    13 years ago

Wow Wow Wow!! That is stunning!! Beautiful work!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Hi there!
    I commented over at garden junk, but i just want to say again how much I love this. I'm here (at this forum)reading past posts about grouting, and just had to look at sea serpent again. Seeing the pics of the process is amazing.
    Fantastic piece. Worth a $___load of money if you decide to sell.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS!!! I had to just walk away from it for a few days...after moving it aside...It Weighs a TON! Ya, it is solid concrete, but add glass and grout too?!?! HEAVY! This ain't gonna tip over in the wind!lol! So glad he is done!

• anneinva_2009
    13 years ago

just beautiful
    can you tell me the tip about using towels instead of sponges?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure! I smoosh on the grout, making sure it is deep in all the crevices I need it in, then take a 6-8inch pc of rag/towel, and start wiping the grout off. That's it. No fuss, no muss! I just change the rag when it gets too mucked up with grout. It wipes off so well, and there is no water to make the grout all sloppy! I love it! I learned this tip on this very forum! That's why I stick around here, the friendly advice!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

That's Riana's method. She puts a little dryish grout on, then immediately uses the rags to rub it off. Very un-like my method where I put the grout all over a piece, then w/a dry sponge smoosh it in, then w/more dry sponges and brushes, start brushing it off - no water.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I thought I had com. on this I guess not .I love love love this it is so great!!!
    I use this method also I use a lot of t shirts ha!!!

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how quickly you got this done! Beautiful!! So you're putting it near your pond? Ooh, I can't wait to see it in it's "natural habitat" LOL. Wonderful job!

• amerique2
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! What a beautiful creature! I can't wait either to see it in its garden spot.

• texasfern
    13 years ago

Glad to see some things never change, you are the bomb Calamity! Gorgeous!

• fldirt
    13 years ago

Wow...that turned out beautiful. You did a great job as usual.

• jenel
    13 years ago

Wow!!!!! That is sooo cool! And the iridescent glass was totally a justified purchase. Fish are iridescent! Please be sure to post a picture once you have him in place.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21