Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Where do you buy the impregnator?

girlgroupgirl
17 years ago

Um, no. Ladies, I am not asking about THAT KIND of impregnator.

I am asking about the kind mentioned at some point on this forum as being the most excellent thing to seal grout for exterior projects.

My pot is ready to be planted, but I need to seal it first, and pot #2 is ready for grouting. I want to begin on the 4 stepping stones that need to go in the garden... all outdoor stuff! Plus, I want to make sure our renovator has a good stock of it when he goes to do the floor and bathroom in the basement. He'd not heard of it and wants some so he can first seal the cement and also seal the backer board.

I checked Lowes, and also Wally-world today (who don't seem to have any tiling supplies).

I have some sort of sealant in a plastic yellow container. It is liquid, and it is what I have used in the past.

GGG

Comments (9)

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

GGG I am also interested in this. I have a couple of teracota pot saucers I would like to mosaic and need to know what to seal them with.

Did you put something on your pots before adding your mosaic other then some color behind some of the glass globs?

Sheese so many projects I would like to do. Good thing I am able to get a head start in the yard this year.

Chris

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just used the Maipi (sp?) mastic to glue on the glass globs. It turns a very pale silvery grey and shows the color of the globs up perfectly.
    I used a pottery sealant that I get in a spray can to seal the inside of the terra cotta pots. It comes in a green can and is just called "Terra cotta pot sealant", lol. It comes from "The Pottery" which is a specialty garden shop in north Georgia. I've heard of other people finding this product at craft stores too.
    I don't use saucers with my pots anymore because I found water collected in them, and then slugs and those little centepides that only seem to come when there is something around that is rotting....so I just use pot feet to make sure all is drained well.

• silvamae
    17 years ago

Here's one I can recommend: Aqua Mix UltraSeal Premium Stone & Tile Sealer. I am 99% sure I got it at Lowes but it might have been Home Depot. Now this stuff is expensive, but worth it! Recommended for both indoor and outdoor use. I believe I remember seeing a sealer actually called Impregnator at either Lowes or Home Depot that was something like $31.00. I wanted to buy it but didn't.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Silvamae, yes. I have the quamix Ultra Seal but someone here mentioned the Impregnator 511, I could not remember the 511 until just now. I just looked it up. $54 or so a gallon on the internet.
    WOW.
    Aqua seal, here I come!

GGG

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

Thanks for the sealing information. I just want to use the saucers to mosaic on.Not for pot saucers. I was thinking to use them as small bird baths in the summer. I know here I have to bring in that king of thing or it will fall apart in the wet, snow and cold.

Well company coming tomorrow. Not sure when I will be back. Have fun ladies.

Thanks Again I wrote it down to take to town to look for it.

Chris

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

I use Tile Lab tile and grout sealer. When it's applied it just soakes into the grout and you can't tell where you've applied it, easy to miss some areas. I also found that if you don't wipe it off the glass right away it will leave marks. I'm looking for something better. If you don't seal, will the water soak into the grout and ruin a project?

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

SQUIRRELLY, thanks for that. I have a new bottle of the tile lab stuff that I need to use on our dining room floor, but also plan to use it on a counter so the "leaving a mark" info is important. Thanks again.

Veronica

• silvamae
    17 years ago

Squirrel, the instructions on the Tile Lab say to apply it by spray. This method helps to distribute it evenly. So I decanted some of it into a little spray bottle and liberally sprayed my mosaic, then polished each tesserae. I repeated this procedure three times because the piece is an outside table. So far so good!

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, I just bought backerboard for my "either side of the window" mosaic project. Do I need to seal that before I start gluing shards?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County