Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Rainy Day Project - Old Porch Posts

texaswild
15 years ago

I bought an old column several years ago, and only recently decided what I wanted to do w/it. It's been standing in the doorway of my l.r. since I brought it home - unattached, and many times, visitors w/lean against it, so thought it time to DO something w/it. Had the yardman cut it in quarters on my table saw yesterday (too large for me to handle), and since plans for an all-day road trip was postponed cuz of rain, I jumped at the chance to begin this project. They w/go on the door facings of the living room and dining rooms. The doorways are very wide, so w/a small half circle shelf on top of each, there's still plenty of passage room. Pictures are before and after, and the d.r. doorway.

Porch Posts

Comments (42)

• charmo
    15 years ago

Wow, those look really nice and will look even better when it's all installed. You should post more pics when they are installed. You are very creative for sure!

• klinger
    15 years ago

What a clever idea for those posts. Course now that I've fallen in love with this I realize I got rid of posts when I moved cause I couldn't think of a use for them. aughgh. Always works that way. I love the bright colors you've chosen and they will look awesome when you're done.
    Cindy

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

eeekkk! I have a whole bunch of those I bought at an estate sale 3-4 yrs ago..already cut in half or quarters. I never thought about using them inside...now you have me really thinking. I was going to use them on 4 x 4 posts in the yard...uuuummmmm...I love them and you kow I like them bright. Glad to see you using some of the black/white checkerboard....isn't it just the greatest.
    Beautiful job Slow....you just kinda sneek up on folks once in awhile.

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Wow, again you amaze us all!!! They will be just too cool!!
    It gives me an idea for my bathtoom, I have been putting it off cause haven't been able to decide how or what I want to do with it....but my minds eye is seeing the light!!! Thanks , Cathy

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

velly intellesting......

it must be fun, to watch the reaction of those, who come into
    your home, for the first time...

I wish you would do a pictorial, room to room.....
    otherwise, I have to travel to Texas, to see in person...lol

how close is Brownsville, to you?

.(*_*).

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I L.O.V.E. y'all. When I ask my yard man Juan to do stuff like this for me I can just imagine him shaking his head, so I always preface each request w/"yeah, I know I'm crazy, but would you please.......?" When this idea hit me I was so anxious to git-er-done I was spastic. Then, of course, PV always puts my creative juices flowing full force. So, I'm enjoying the rain this week, and hope to get them at least covered. All through the night I was dreaming up a creative cap to put on them. Thank, y'all. Doncha want to just kick yourself when you toss something out, then get an idea? BECKY. CRACKPOT ANNIE drove from Harlingen in a day. Said it was a long trip. I just checked Mapquest to Brownsville - via car - 11 hrs. 28 min. PLEASE COME SEE ME. W/LOVE to meet you.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

OMG Betty................I'm drooling......I thought you were out and about all day yesterday so I didn't have coffee with you........now you were a busy bee weren't yoU!!!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

This is a VERY COOL IDEA! can't wait to see it all installed

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Slow! I saw your pics the other day, LOVED them, and didn't have time to write about them then. The posts are outrageously wonderful. They have your signature style and the checkerboard that I love.

Can you imagine the real estate agent that lists your house some long-away day? "Unique opportunity for eclectic artistic buyer" maybe? But, I actually think that when that day comes, the city should just make it a historical landmark for people to enjoy. Everyone needs a shot of joy!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What a great addition to the "home of my dreams"!
    Can't wait to see the final pics, well, and more WIPs would be good as well.
    Hey Strawberry, come thru SA and we will travel together!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Slow, you are too much...what a fun place to live in!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

wow, I need to get an itinerary going...lol
    I've still gotta see if I'm invited to Vancouver Island, where the island girls live...

it's off season enough, to go by the clipper and I need a break from this area...I've been so home bound, well, I mean between my home and the kids' homes, to babysit, I hardly get to any other places..
    but today, I went to my drawing class, at the senior center..my art teacher gave me quite an assignment for the week...
    it's got nothing to do with mosaics or the china painting I do..it's rather a combination of the abstract doodles I draw, and to incorporate them into a picture of a horse..with 3 horses in the picture...
    it took me all of today's class to get a grasp of what she was trying to get me to do..it's to get far out of my comfort zone, with the kind of work I do...I'm going to be stressing for a number of days, till next Wednesday..
    we go for both Wednesday and Thursdays..
    pen and ink, water color, illustration and design, all together, for a hint of surrealism.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got another post almost covered, and played around w/a cap, and this is the best I've come up with. I might change it. Have to take out that thing on the floor between the facings and cut it b/f installing. AND, of course, I forgot to leave holes for the screws!!!!! - W/have to take some off b/f grouting and drill screw holes. Always in such an all-fired hurry. Y'all KNOW what I'm thinking, don't y'all - perhaps some dangly beads around that cap doncha know? Of course, each post w/be different. Can't do anything twice. OK - TX and STRAWBERRY - hope y'all are serious, cuz I'd LOVE to have y'all visit. BTW - the entry is to the immediate left of picture - very small.
    Post - not attached

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Girl you are just to good .Can't wait to see it done.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

yes dangly beads are in order here! I think it looks exactly like the other one, I couldn't have pulled that off! lol

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Gotta have a dangle or two!!! I am so lazy in comparison to you......you just zip right through things!! Love the latest a LOT!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hadn't finished the last little side piece when I took the first picture, so this is THE same one - just set it up yesterday to see how it looks, and I like it too. The other one is almost done, but when I went to post a picture I messed up my camera and couldn't post a picture, so gotta take it to the camera store today for help. Thanks, y'all.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phone call did the trick on the camera - I had the memory card locked - such a dufus! Here's the second post.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Lordy that is wonderful!
    You go girl!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Fun! Fun! Fun! I LOVE that!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

You're rocking and rolling aren't you missy! I was crookin my neck to look under your work table to see what kind of supplies you use!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did I ever tell y'all you make me smile? They're still not attached cuz I have to go to Lowes to get long screwes. I did drill holes for them. Still raining here - w/start the other two tomorrow, even though the laundry is high, floors dirty and furniture is an inch deep in dust. Love my toys, though.
    Posts in place in l.r.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Wonderful Wonder Woman! I drilled holes in mine and inserted pieces of dowel in them then mosaiced and will grout and then screw them up. Why not cut a vase in half on the saw and mosaic it and then mount each half on top?
    I am sure you will come up with a better idea for a top piece, 1/2 a styrofoam ball? Love it.

• klinger
    15 years ago

Betty they're looking wonderful. They so fit in with your home. Such a great idea I like flags idea of a half vase on the top.
    Cindy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Top would be a great place for some light.
    Candle, wall mounted lamp, lantern?

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Wow, those are just awesome....Slow, you have started a whole new theme here!!!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, y'all. Got them attached, and tried to cut some blue hand-blown glasses in half but they're too fragile. TX and FLAG - I like both your ideas - had first thought of candlesticks, but to be safe, I only burn covered votives when I can't watch candles all the time, so came up w/this idea. The insulator I bought from one of the attendees at the mosaic party I went to last year in Jasper. Can't remember the forum member - don't see her posting anymore, but it's PERFECT. Now to find three more unique votive holders. I'll put my friend Becky on the mission to find more of these insulators. I used to have tons of them, but tossed them out in a voluminous move. Waaaah. Thanks for y'all compliments. FLAG - you mean you've already mosaiced some of these? Pictures w/be nice.
    Post w/Insulator Votive

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!! Wonder Woman IS a good name for you!! LOVE the insulator too! I have a few and on the Garden Junk forum, someone made lit them up with a string of christmas lights in them! LOVE the painting with the items in it sitting under it...how cool is that!!! Ahhh you are such a neat Gal!! Luv Ya!
    Oh, and ANYBODY who wants to Party with us Island Girls...just hop on over!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

The posts turned out just awesome!! I LOVE your house! I noticed the picture on the wall with the candle holder and pitcher etc. and below it an almost exact mirror image in REAL stuff! HOW did you do that!! Did you paint the picture? I know you quilt, do you also paint?!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Look and wish no more my Lady. I have a box full of those in any color you might want, just help yourself. They are heavy and certainly won't catch fire. If three is all you need, I know for sure I have that many. And the posts look beautiful.

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

WOWSA!!!! I think they are just too cool!!! Love the colors!!! Great idea, and great job....Cathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Like I say - no better way to wake up w/coffee and friends like y'all. Thanks for making my morning coffee taste better. Yes, I painted still life. The blue vase got broken, and the little blue/white pitcher holds an ivy outside on the little mosaiced shelf on the front door facing in summer. Mosaicing has eaten up all my former hobbies. Some days, I long to paint, but mosaics win out every time I start anything else. FLAG - I'll be down sometime this week, unless Becky has enough. She, too, has some. I'll probably be down for some of those gourd seeds anyway. Thanks.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Those are just so cool .

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Love the insulator. If you have a hard time finding them, I have a bunch. I would love to contribute to the piece!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, thanks, TX. My friend Becky gave me one, and I plan to take FLAG up on her offer for another one. I can't use one under the curtain dividing the d.r./l.r. for danger of fire, so I only need one more. That's the neat thing about this forum - everyone is so willing to share their knowledge and supplies. I've been truly blessed w/gifts from several of our forum members. Thanks again, y'all.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally attached the last two posts. Weekend company again, so won't be mosaicing for awhile - gotta clean house.
    Posts all finished

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well done, Slow! Love it! Love it! And I'm glad Sqirrellycanadian pointed out the painting to us! My gosh! What an artist you are!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How sweet. On the painting, I want to again, but mosaic is a carnivorous hobby. You were the one who said there's a carnival going on in my mind. I'll give you an example of that. In an add last night on t.v., a girl was peeling an orange. I saw the light through a piece of orange, and thought "how would I paint that - oh, I know, I'd add a touch of red." Nuts, huh? I remember one day trying to get the transulucency of a lemon slice and how long it took me. Yeah, that's how my mind works all the time. Wish I had five of me w/the energy of my youth.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

OMG Betty........you should give tours of your home and charge admission................I love your posts.....you are "art-tist!"

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's just what Riana told me to do. She said I could serve tea in my l.r. and charge to take the tour. Yeah, right. Thank you, GYPSY.

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Slow, Your posts are fantastic!! As is all your work!! Just amazing...your house looks so cool, I wish I could come and see it all!! Cathy

• gibsona
    15 years ago

Good grief! Is there anything you don't do, my friend? Painting, quilting, magical mosaics, world traveler and inspiration to goodness only knows how many!! :0) Awesome job!
    Have a good one!
    Ann

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!