Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

The Sidonea Project

nicethyme
15 years ago

this is my wip to be a gift for my friend's daughter.

a couple great (Gypsy and Lyndalu) mosaicing friends are sending me some watches to include...

this is Sidney, the namesake, inspiration and eventual recipient

Comments (77)

• lascatx
    15 years ago

That is fabulous! Can't wait to see it finished.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey there lascatx, its been forever since I've seen you!

well I got side tracked by life but I'm making a concerted effort to get back to it!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh yeah, I'm starting to feel this again

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I know what you mean about being sidetracked - my yard derailed my mosaicing, and still have a long way to go. Yeah - doesn't take but sticking down a few tiles to get us back into gear, does it? This is looking fabulous, girlie. WHAT an idea!!! That child is gonna flip when she sees this.

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Oh my this is just way too cool....Yeah life has a way of sidetracking us....You'll get it done and it's looking wonderful!!!!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you got that right Slow, you think you're not in the mood but start sticking and suddenly you're right back on it! Thank you and cathy for commenting

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

finally making some more progress on this

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see Jane is popped in - hope she sees this

For you Janey Bo...

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS! This is over the top, I am speechless...about the most unusual and most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I don't know where you got this idea? I am sure that you are like me and the stuff justs starts being? I love the birds and I am sure Janey Bo will have a fit about the peacock. Did you paint those tiles for the feathers? This is FAB! I don't think I can think of any words to describe this, I am sitting here drooling and lovin it more as I lock at it. The tree trunk has so much movement.....WOW. I'll quit as I am out of words and out of breath...love it gal. Keep up the good work.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What FLAG said. I'm ALWAYS speechless when I look at your creations. Yeah - are those clay tiles for the peacock feathers? Also what is the top face tile on the tree? This is the most thought out mixed media I've ever seen. Talk about a circus or carnival going on in someone's head - well, girlie, you take the prize. Love the ground. Happy happy is what I see. What is the size? That child is so fortunate to have this gift waiting for her. Your art, girlie, is priceless.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! Thank you FLAG and SLOW. The feathers and the face are both polyclay (feathers being a cane) I showed this to Sidney's mom this AM and asked if faces were cool or creepy cause I was thinking maybe dot the foliage with green faces and she said that would be awesome. so thats exciting - I'm imagining swirls of green mirror and maybe leaf cane slices.. just 4 more birdies left to make

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

This is just amazing!!!! It is just sooo cooollll!!!! Truly an awesome piece of ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• huggybear_2008
    14 years ago

Wow.. That is just awesome, I lurk here a lot and see what all you guys are working on and oh I am always stunned.. you all do such great work.. Nicethyme, this is like nothing I have ever seen before.. I will have to show this to my sweet DIL as she is a real clock lover and I know she will really like seeing your work here. You are so kind ...and with such a big heart.. Thanks for sharing with us and for what you do each and everyday..
    I am staying posted to see it all finished..
    Thanks again for sharing.. just so pretty and whew.. just plain awesome..
    Huggy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CATHY and HUGGY, thank you both for your replies! It spurrs me on when I get stalled!

SLOW, I missed your question on size... its 2' tall and 3' wide LOL which I had considered huge until you started the great wall of SLOW around your fountain!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOO HOO! the birds are done!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

It's all been said - absolutely phenomenal, girlie. There's some beautiful watches, as well as interesting pieces of glass, in there too. Who but you would have thought of making them bodies of birds, pray tell?!!! You beat all. Too beautiful. So many wonderful things to look at. This'll keep her busy indefinitely. Bless you.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, yes many of these watches are beauties and i kept reorganizing them trying to capitalize on their designs. I think that top red gem and "diamond" watch came from Lyndalu and I've been excited to build a red bird up there.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I just got back to this.WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!Every one has said it all!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

A PEACOCK!!!YES!!! I am so Blown Away with ALL these Gorgeous birds!!! AMAZING!!! LUV IT!!! I keep staring at all the cool stiff in it! At first I saw a bird form at the trunk too and then noticed that face!!! Just Fantastic!!! How will it all turn out?
    Only Time will tell!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Yeah, I love that tree trunk and the face, but you didn't tell us what it is - one of your clay tiles?????

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

One dang'ed awesome piece of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL thank you Nana, Slow, Jane and Cathy

Slow, yes its polymer clay and ooooh boy wait till ya see all the green faces in the leaves! i'm having some fun now

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

It's just so incredibly beautiful!! Can't wait to see the green leaf faces.......it's so interesting to look at!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! Leaves with faces!!!! OH YA...Bring It ON!!!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Nice, did you put mica dust on some of that glass?? I keep looking and looking and seeing more each time. I commented at Carl's but just had to come back and look again here to see if i missed something. Its just beyond description!!!

I am so excited for Sidney. She is going to have those arms and legs a moving around in total excitement!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou J, Squirrelly and Mermaid - no mica but some of the glass tiles have copper and gold streaking.

got rained out today so I played... can't believe this is all I got done

• katishooked
    14 years ago

What a huge project you have going here. AND ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. From the beginning pic to this last one, absolutely impresses me. Wonderful job Nice. I love it.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

W.A.Y. T.O. G.O.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love those faces. What a novel idea. Wish I could get into your head for ideas such as that when I'm dreaming up my next project. Raining here too, so nipping plates by hand today.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

This is just BEAUTIMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

What a masterpiece you have there!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kati, Slow, Cathy and Emtnest

here's further progress

• stjohnsgypsy
    14 years ago

I am so blown away...........I love everything about it so much....you are so so creative and a mosaic master!!! The faces are way cool..and of course, the birds with their watches.....just blows me away!!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh it is so incredible!! Love seeing the updates!! You go girl!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gee Gypsy... and you are the mixed media mosaic queen that inspires me!!!! lol

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Excellent - loving it w/every addition. Yeah, I sure miss Gypsy here. Wish she'd come back.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Those faces remind me of the faces you did when you did the "Office" thing!!!lol! Now I'll have to go find it!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah J, that was the Veronica thang... I wonder where I have that pic... they're made with a push mold sent by an angel... in Texas! lol

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor Veronica

• klinger
    14 years ago

Jane told me I had to come and check out your work of art. Wow, I just am taken aback by this. I love how you've incorporated the watches into the birds, and all the interesting pieces you've incorporated into this piece. It's gorgeous and those faces are just plain cool,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, what a treat - looking at Poor Veronica again. Your work makes me happy. Gosh, I'd love to meet you and spend a day/two talking about our passion.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I Ditto Slow's comment!!!! Veronica...LOL!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks all! lol

last nights progress, I'm still iffy on that last bit of greenery and the shape of the next one

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh I just love seeing the updates!!! Can't wait to see it finished!! And you must post a pic a Sidney when she sees it!!! I bet she going to LOVE IT!!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

This is getting more and more interesting as you go along...I think it is just beautiful...I can't wait to see more updates.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

W/each piece it gets more beautiful and interesting. You've got the touch, girlie! I like the way you think it all out. Wish I could do that. LOVE those faces.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

photoshoot for this piece is now scheduled for early July. I'm going to have prefessional prints done to sell as a fundraiser for the SDCPF/ Project Rainbow.

The photographer is coming from out of state to do the shoot in my home, he was recommended to me by a very successful painter that I garden for.

I'm so excited. I'm going to get note cards and posters made.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

WONDERFUL NEWS NT!!! I am still amazed and speechless at this wonderful work of art from an artist with a heart of gold. True!!
    Let us know about the note cards and posters, OK?

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well, GOOD FOR YOU, girlie. What a grand idea. Oh, yes, do let us know how we can buy some cards.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

YES!!! I want some cards!!! Autographed of course!!! You know, Just put your paw print on there!!!lol!hee hee! Seriusly tho!!! WOW!!! You are soooo light years ahead of me and beyond!!! If I Ever finish the garden projects I have...I'll be gearing up to make a few things...they're percolating in my mind! Now I wanna do something with birds now!!! See what you do to us!?!???

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This thread continues on

Here is a link that might be useful: Sidonea project part 2

Sponsored