Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydropetunia

Source for *orange* 1/4 ceramic tile

hydropetunia
14 years ago

Hello new friends!

I am trying to find an online source of orange tile. By 'orange', I don't mean 'burnt' or 'tinged'--I mean solid, no-doubt-about-it orange. My project is to build a mosaic of the tiger 'Hobbes' from the comic strip 'Calvin & Hobbes'. You can see how a tiger would require true orange and not a watered down version.

My local Lowe's and Home Depot don't have any, and neither do their catalogs. I guess bright orange isn't a popular color for bathrooms and kitchens. :) I have tried specialty tile stores, but they are even more hoity-toity and less likely to have such a basic color.

I would prefer 1/4" ceramic tile in standard sizes such as 1", 4.25" or 6". I already have the other colors required in 1/4" ceramic. I am willing to try a different thickness / composition if it is the only thing available.

I would appreciate any recommendations for on-line or overlooked local places to find these orange tiles. I realize I will probably have to pay for box quantity and large shipping fees.

Thanks in advance, and I promise to take pix of my progress!

-hydropetunia

Comments (10)

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Wits End Mosaic Supply will have what you need and in every color imaginable. Good luck.

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

I talked to Lowe's about "brights" in ceramic tiles and there is a company called daltile or something like that which makes their inexpensive ceramic tiles in black and white which they stock. They can special order the brights and I went to the wholesalers show room and the colors are excellent, they have a great orange. However, the tiles are 4x4. The only color I didn't find was fushia....and that I am still looking for. :(

• emtnest
    14 years ago

You might find some good blending colors here: http://www.directfrommexico.com/talavera-pottery--tiles.html
    Their 4" tiles are $142 each with a 15 tile minimum. They pack them very well for shipping. If the link does not take you to the right page do a search for 4 inch tiles on their site.

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

I'm just asking for future reference...MT....is that really $142 for one 4" tile?? One tile? Just checking. I think I am going to wait until I am REALLY REALLY good at this mosaic thing before I try one of those....lol.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

oopsie... $1.42 one dollar and 42 cents...:)

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Dear MT....thanks. I was just fantasizing about where I would use that kind of tile if I should ever be that wild/crazy/rich/goofy/confident to use it. I feel so much better. lol. You made me laugh tho and that is a good thing!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

How many tiles would you need of the orange if it were 4"?

• hydropetunia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys. Thanks for all of the help. I have been unable to find 1/4" ceramic orange tile.

The fellows at Lowe's were very helpful in attempting to find a supplier. I did not order at the time because the closest matches were 'orange burst' and 'mandarin', and I didn't trust the ancient computer displays to accurately display the color. They even said if I had the time they could order a sample of each color before placing an order. 'Orange burst' probably would have worked.

I purchased -glass- tile from a discount supplier found on eBay or amazon. The color was listed as 'coral' but looks orange to me. This will be my first use of glass tile. I have already started breaking it up.

I estimate I will need maybe 1.5 - 2 square feet for this project, so 13-18 4" tiles.

-hydropetunia

• emtnest
    14 years ago

I will go through my stash and see what I have and get back to you...

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Is this what you are looking for? My camera would not pick up the actual color so I worked with the saturation to get it as close to the tile as possible. They are 4"X4" and 1/4" thick. Email me at: grannyd50iam@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts