Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceramic letters?

Posted by Wanderer1 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 18:09

Hi all
I have been trying all over to find some ceramic 'letters' to put into my mosaic (outside) wall but can't find any within my price range. (Postage from America to here is exhorbitant!)
So I thought I would have a go at making some. Just basic squares with a letter on it.
Any suggestions please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceramic letters?

One way to do it would be ceramic tiles, you take a dremel and engrave the letters in the tile. when grouting, grout fills the engraved area and it shows up.

o

I have a Taurus ring saw and I cut out letters and numbers from stained glass with it.

o

Oh wow!
Dremels?
Taurus ring saws?
You two have totally lost me lol.
Sounds a bit sci fi to me! Don't forget I live in Orstralia. We're a bit behind you lot!
I think I asked once before what a Dremel was and that was explained but a Taurus ring saw? My eldest son is a Taurus. He's a carpenter. He has ring cause he's married. And he has a saw. Well several actually. Would he know?
Actually I think I'll just get some small tiles and use ceramic paint. Sounds easier than messing with Dremels and Taureans lol
Cheers
Wanderer1

o

I was going to suggest paint that you bake in the oven, like pebeo porcelaine. I don't have a ring saw either.
Kathy

o

a ring saw is a glass saw. The blade is a ring that rotates.
You might possibly find a potter or someone with a kiln to make you what you want.
Many people also use wood scrabble tiles. or the square beads with alphabet letters printed on them.
Or, small clear glass squares with the letters printed on paper and decopaged to the underside. Or painted by hand onto the underside of clear glass squares.

Here is a link that might be useful: ring saw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here