Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

My puttering for the week.

flagtruck
15 years ago

Here are more WIP pics of the gourd, large one, one board for the cladding of my small 4x4 posts on the porch of my studio and some spheres I am starting. The small one is about 8" and the larger one 16". The post surround is the first of 16 I have to do and I like the way it turned out. I am going to grout it and then screw it to the posts. I have dowels inserted into the screw holes for now. I can tell right now these are going to be fun and what a chance to use al lot of the dishes I have broken up..

The large gourd is essentially finished except for grout. It has rained here every day since Monday and turned cold again, so I will wait for warmer weather to get my grouting done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porch post surround

Comments (25)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

FABULOUS, FLAG - Your colors are so delicious, and of course, your designs are so unique. I'm gonna LOVE those posts. The gourd turned out so beautifully, and the sphere is wonderful. Doncha just love mirror tiles? Yeah, I'm sick of this weather, for sure. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can start my front door. Oh, rats. I forgot about the weeding first!!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I Too LOVE the colors AND the "I'm not a quitter!!!!" LOL!!! hee hee ho ho!!! The gourd reminds me of the Red Hatters Club, They LOVE red and purple together!!! And what is that pretty thing on the cart in the background?

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Oh how I love your studio, I could just sit there all day, it looks like such a happy place! You've got the coolest stuff on your sphere's and gourds, love the colors and all the variety!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all you guys for making me feel like I did something! Jane the thing on the cart is a pedestal I have done for one of my birdhouses. I still need to grout the top of it and repair any damage that this winter has done. I will post a pic when I get it finished with the birdhouse on it. I love the red and purple together and so do the Red Hatters. I have a friend that I saw today who was in the local Red Hatters, but they have disbanded as they all had too much other stuff going on. Squirrely, thanks for the compliments on the studio. It is too small already sorta like Gypsy's, too crowded. Maybe I need to think that I might have TOO much stuff in there. lol
    Slow,thanks, you made me feel good. What are you going to do to your front door?Did I miss that?

• klinger
    15 years ago

Oh, I really enjoyed looking at your latest projects. Love the post covers and the gourds. Great dishes and tiles you chose,
    Cindy

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

I just love those the colores or just great!!!!

• charmo
    15 years ago

Love your posts, and everything else around it too! Are the post just the regular pressure treated type wood? If not, do any of you know if we can mosaic over pressure treated wood? Not newly pressure treated of course, it would be too humid but some that have been installed 4 years ago?

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Flag where did you get your frogs and lizards.I would love to do some.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Your stuff is amazing!! I love the colors you use!

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Flag, Your WIP"S are super!!!! Love the colors...great work..thanks for sharing, Cathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hot pink paint and lots of mirror and mixed media on the front door, FLAG. Soon as it warms up.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't wait to see that Slow. Nana, my frogs and lizards came from everywhere. If I find it and it holds still for a minute of two, it is covered with thinset. I think some of them even came from the toys at $ store. Chrmo- I wouldn't mosaic directly on pressure treated wood, use latex Kilz first then a layer of watered-down thinset on the posts. By all means never use Thompson's or any other sealer, I tried this and there is something in it that reacts to the thinset and makes everything pop off..Termites are a problem with treated posts. I just had the blue bottle tree on a post covered with mirrors break off at the ground and fall and it was the termites that ate it off and weakened it. I lost the gazing ball on top and the large blue vase it was on, no bottles broke and the mirror is still intact. I think I will tie it up to a tree or something and put the bottles back on.
    Thanks to all of you for your praise, you make me feel good about what I am doing.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Flag I am so green about your craft palace. LOL My little apartment is beginning to get real crowded. I have two themes, mosaics space and Zoes'(GD) space. Anyway I sure do love your sphere. The colors really pop. What is the sphere made of?? Did you cover something to make it or what?? Keep up the good work and of course the pix. Always enjoy seeing what you're up to.

Kathy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

The posts are perfect for that wonderful yard of yours. What a great way to use up broken plates. It's all so colorful and whimsical. I love your gourd. The colors are gorgeous, and your lay out is always impecable. But I truly LOVE the beginning of the yellow/orange/red sphere. Wow.....with the mirror too, it really caught my eye. I'm enjoying your use of reflective material like the mirror ont hat ball, and of course,the pagoda. Take time to post updates, as we look for you and miss you around here!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kati= the sphere is a terracotta one that I got years ago, I have two or three small ones and a couple large ones. I am just practicing as Slow and I are going to make a couple on Yoga balls soon. I am dying to make a big one/
    Thanks Daisy for the praise. I am working on another post cover today and finished the small sphere and now working on the 15" one. I hope tomorrow is nice so I can grout a few things and move em on out to the yard. Getting pretty crowded on my outside worktable and inside the studio.
    Calamity was going to be adopted and come grout for me, but I think she renegged. Oh well, someday I will get it all done..lol

• texasfern
    15 years ago

As usual you blow me away!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS work Flag! love it all - those posts are TERRIFIC

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the latest of my projects, I now have 7 post covers,the 6 in the pic and one I finished today and haven't photographed yet. These are fun to do and look pretty good on the posts, I have mounted them there pending grout to keep them from getting knocked over. The on it's side pot is all done in Oceana glass...My grouting line up is becoming long....lol...maybe this week if we don't have rain and it warms up. Until then it's the studio for me and 9 more covers to go....

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated photos

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Flag your post are Beautiful!!! Nice job girl!!

• charmo
    15 years ago

Your posts and everything else all look beautiful! Very colourful, it looks very warm and inviting!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, so beautiful. I was thinking you were using cement board. Didn't know you found cedar. W/LOVE to know your source for cedar.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow- Lowe's cedar fence boards. I ripped them on the table saw to get the right width. No exotic secret there.\There are the ones I wanted you to do a board for me so I had some of your art displayed for me on the front porch...weather is supposed to be beautiful today so I may try to grout when it warms up.

• cait1
    15 years ago

AWESOME!!!! I'm also blown away!! Love the gourds!! Do you seal them first and if you so, do you use the Kilz?? Now I want to grow gourds.

And your stash is AMAZING!! I couldn't keep my eyes from coveting all those containers! I want a stash that big!!!

You're great!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Ditto Cait, I am blown away.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Flag, I SO love those posts! What a grand addition to your wonderful yard.

Did you finish the yellow, orange,red sphere? I really really want to see that too.

Sponsored