Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New (hi!), question about crash glass project

Posted by meems_nc (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 17:09

Hi , I have never posted in this forum but have read through quite a few posts over the last few days, gotten some really great ideas and learned quite a bit. Thanks :)

I have a few questions about an old project I started a few years ago but lost interest in and have now decided it's time to either finish it up or get rid of it and free up some space in the garage! I have a couple questions and I'm hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the direction of buried information in previous posts I haven't come across yet.

I made a big cement sphere using a yoga ball as a mold and have begun coating the outside with crash glass. The spaces I've left btw. the chunks of glass seem pretty narrow to grout. The edges of the glass also seem very sharp. I'm a little scared to try grouting - it seems like I'll shred my fingers for sure! Can/should I grind the edges in some way before grouting?

I have more questions too, but I guess I'll start with this. Thanks so much for reading and for any input you may have!

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New (hi!), question about crash glass project

When I used TG, the edges weren't sharp. Did you use the tempered glass from car windows? To save your hands, get the rubber palmed garden gloves to grout. I want to prepare a yoga ball too, but it isn't high on my priority lise yet. Show us pictures of your WIP, please.

o
RE: New (hi!), question about crash glass project

Another thing you can do is get one of those noodles that the kids swim on and cut it up and use it to spread your grout.It realy dose help easy to use then just through it away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here