Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic Foyer Q

Posted by laura21230 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 16:06

Hi all,
My first time posting here! I have done some smaller projects, and am about to start my first floor project, so I want to make sure I have a good plan. Can someone who has done a floor before let me know if this is going to go horribly wrong? :)

This is for a small foyer, just inside the front door, it's about 40" x 44".
I'm going to use ceramic tiles on cementboard, which is already installed. I was thinking I'd glue the tiles to mesh using Weldbond, then use thinset to attach the mesh-backed tiles to the cement? Does this sound right?

Thanks, everyone! You all have some great pictures on these forums, it is inspiring!!

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic Foyer Q

Laura- I would use the thinset to set the tiles on the mesh and also to adhere to the cement board. I am sure that this would give you a better bond than Weldbond. Also see if you cannot cut your mesh in some joint lines prior to installation so that you are handling smaller pieces as 49 x 44 will be very heavy with all the tiles on it and may stretch during the moving to the board. If you make smaller segments you can set them easier. Good luck and post pics. Carol

o

Thanks for the tips Carol, I didn't know I could set the tiles on the mesh with thinset - I will try that! I will post pics later; I need to get supplies first :)

o

Oh, this one w/be fun to watch. You got good advice from a pro, LAURA. FLAG knows her stuff.

o

Oh boy and new project!

o

I find this interesting, as with using thinset to adhere the tile to the mesh, you lose the flexibility of the mesh. I personally use Weldbond to adhere the tile, dishes or glass to the mesh, then you can use thinset to attach your cut pieces of mesh in smaller segments and nothing will come-up.
I've done floors, outside steps, walls...the beauty of using mesh is that it keeps the pieces light-weight & flexible.
Rosemary

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots

o

Carol-Thank you for the suggestion of adhering the tiles to the mesh with thinset. I will try this the next large project that I do. I tried teh wellbond on my floor the last time and had a problem with the glass coming loose and having to put a lot of pieces in indvidually...WHAT A PAIN!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here