Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

pique assiette

nicethyme
11 years ago

last winter, we spotted an estate sale and I went back each day watching out for these dishes to be marked down - still not very cheap but I sprang at 40% off and got a few of each size... they have a "fish scale pattern" in blue and white

I thought I'd make a fish but haven't been moved to do it yet,,, but then this idea came to me "This Little Hen"

I just got her face together using some printed cherries on an old plate in my stash... DUDE! I love how this is coming

Comments (28)

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Dude - You do chickens so danged well, you should go into business w/JUST chickens. Looking absolutely great. You're right - gotta stay w/what inspires you.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

I was gonna say that too. Cant wait to see it done.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

This will be great. Those Chick-chick-chickens you did were the most amazing creatures ever! Remember when that piece was Number 1 on CMA (out of thousands and thousands) for weeks? I will follow your progress with great interest.

• wishdish
    11 years ago

I love this. And what cool plates you got! Looking forward to following this project...

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all so much, she's got a magnetic personality! LOL

I did some more last night and am already trying to figure out the background and colors... maybe wood colored glass with greens between wood slats some how... eerr? maybe

I was really hesitant to do a chicken from this angle and didn't think I could get the face to read very well - I think finding that mille for the eye got it off to a good start. Next problem is seeing if I can make those feathered feet - I wanted her to be ones of those poofy hens

• silvamae
    11 years ago

The eye is perfect. I love the look of poufy hens. We had a Buff Orpington Red (named Buffy) when I was a child; she loved my little brother and followed him everywhere.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had those at an estate I worked at, always imagined that if you kicked one it would just explode in a cloud of feather LOL

well I started thinking about the fill I realized I'd rather make her nesting... that look on her face suits an idea I had so,,, we'll see if I can pull it off

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Our chickens with the feathery feet are Cochins. I think they're so beautiful! I've never done pique assiette, because frankly, most I've seen are just the plate designs broken and put back together. You've made me reconsider though - this is going to be gorgeous!
    Becky

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Becky, its really challenging to use plates. but once you start to see them in values of light, med and dark and make what ever pattern they have work for you just as you do with andamento... it can be pretty neat - like quilting I think.

this was my last chicken piece and I LOVED all those crazy patterned shards, I even learned to utilize the footers

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I LOVE that piece. After I saw it, I started saving all the footers . . .

• texaswild
    11 years ago

You've certainly captured the face of a mad little hen - looks like someone is approaching her nest. I never tire of looking at the other piece you made. The lack of contrasts in a flock of chickens could have been a mess, but you really pulled that one off. It's unbelieveably well done. You l'il artist, you!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YES! Slow, I see her face as looking perturbed as well LOL I 'm thinking of having a window behind her and a view of a crowing rooster! hahahahah

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OHHHHHH YES -- only you w/have these ideas. Get busy - huuuuurrrrrrrry - you have us all watching this one.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Every one has said it for me .Looking great!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay she has her clutch of eggs now! and since that's the last of the plate shards going on this, I thin set it all down last night.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Sassy l'il hen.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Missus Fluff and Puff ..... so adorable.

• cathyscache
    11 years ago

Love, love , love it!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see it finsihed!!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you Slow, Silva and Cathy

(fluff and puff - LOL)

I finally got my saw together after replacing the blade and several bearings, so I could make this cut.

Do you think she sees him or just hears him crowing?

btw, this rooster's paint scheme was inspired by a plate sent to me waaaay back when I 1st started mosaics, by Wackyweeder!

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

OMG this is wonderful! I'm loving the rooster in the background. I think she doesn't love him as much as I do :)
    I learn so much from watching projects like this happen. What a great forum.
    Becky

• texaswild
    11 years ago

You gonna tell us how you painted that rooster on the glass. You never cease to amaze me - w/EVERY one of your techniques.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Oh this brings back memories. When I was young, one of my jobs was to gather eggs. When a hen decided to get "broody" she was reluctant to leave her nest and would sometimes even peck my hand. She took this certain fussy tone as she warned me to get away.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Slow, I just painted the scene on the hardie backer, coated the glass with silicone and SMOOSHED! lol

• amerique2
    11 years ago

Really wonderful work!! Loved both pieces. What are you using for her eye?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

amerique2, her eye is a millifiori

here is This Little Hen

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

I love this piece more than I can tell you. She has so much attitude and the nest and coop and rooster in the background are just fantastic. I'm gushing, but wow. Just wow.
    Becky

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Ditto what ITSME said. Everything about this piece screams talent. It really speaks to me. As I said on Flickr, my Bro, a poultry farmer, w/love this little hen. He doesn't comment on a lot, but he wrote back to me yesterday the following: "That's just dog gone some thing".

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hah! your bro has a way with words! love that!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!