Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Next Crazy Idea

texaswild
15 years ago

Here's my next inside project. Pulled weeds for an hr., and couldn't wait to get this tube cut in half. Gonna give it a thin coat of thinset after I cover it in duct tape, then let the mosaicing begin again. It's a fight between this project and the front door. Hmmm - rain is coming again soon. I'll get this prepared for another rainy day project.

Half post

Comments (31)

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

So what is it a column..good idea...but the door is first.lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, FLAG - a half column to go in the hallway. The other side of the hall is filled w/bookcases and art - this spot has always bugged me cuz it's EMPTY - only place left that is! I put the two halves together for extra strength, duct taped, and a layer of thinset. Yes, the door is first - MAYBE.
    Half post w/thinset

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wht is that tube made from?
    I swear you don't stop for a minute do you?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, TX - it's a cardboard tube you can find at Lowes. They're for making columns. I used two of them - one inside the other one when I made my front garden column - poured Quickcrete between the tubes. This one, I cut w/a jigsaw, and used both halves. Why stop - gotta lot to do b/f I have to move to Heaven.

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

Did you duct tape the entire surface, or just duct tape the 2 halves together?

Apparently, Jesus has lots for you to do before he calls you home sister because you go a mile a minute!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Good going Slow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WACKY: First I used duct tape several rows around the tubes together so they'd hold the shape and not splay, Then veritcal rows to cover the whole thing so as to waterproof it so it wouldn't collapse under the wetness of the thinset. I put Elmers glue in the thinset cuz I didn't have enough "flex" or admixture for standard thinset I'd bought last year when I visited my bro and couldn't get to Lowes for Mapei. Decided to finally use it after it sat in the garage for over a yr. Smoothed it w/wet palms.

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

Thats what I wondered. So you kinda used duct tape as a substitute for rigid wrap. I likes it! It could work with some objects, not all. improvisation is only one of your gifts.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, WACKY - Queen of Make Do.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

I see what you mean now!!

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Slow great idea!!!! I may have to steal this one if ya don't mind. So the tinset sticks to duct tape???? HUH.....Oh how the brain is swirling...........LOL Cathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, CATHY: I just went to look at it, and it's finally dry. I stood it up and tried to bend it, and it still has a little give to it. Not much, but enough that I'm going to now coat the inside of the cardboard. Oh, BTW - this w/stand alone - not gonna attach it to the wall. I'll put a half round piece of MDF inside at the top and bottom and cement them in, so it'll be a stand-alone piece. It stands by itself now, but to be sturdier, the MDF w/make it better. Then, of course - a nice half round on top w/mosaic. Anxious to see what you do w/yours. My DD is trying to find a place in her house where one w/go. She likes the idea also, as long as it isn't attached. Yep - thinset is pretty sticky stuff. I put some Elmers in too - didn't measure - just guessed.

• meadel
    15 years ago

OMG !!! You ( like Wiley E. Coyote ) are a super genius !!!
    I must put this one out of my mind.. .. I must .. !! lol... too late !! I gotta get me one of those !!
    BTW... what is that jug in your studio ? Flo no water ???? your genius juice? Send me some ..quick !

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Slow.. sheesh.. you go away for a bit and come back and you've finished mosaicing every sq. ft of your house. Awesome idea. and awesome work. just what we expect from our Queen. You go girl and go and go...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, MEADEL - yeah, that's probably what my neighbors and the postman are thinking about now - "the ole girl has finally gone round the bend to looney tunes la la land to join the "carnival in my head" (a quote by DAISEYME). I don't care - I'm gonna love this one too. The jug is leftovers from "Flex - no water", admixture I bought several yrs. ago when I started mosaicing my front walk. The tile man, who told me "it can't be done, won't work blah, blah, blah", wrote that on the jug so I'd remember how to mix the thinset. After I bought it, I called the 800 no. on Mapei mortar, and went w/that, and have never looked back. I only use that stuff I bought from him when I'm out of Mapei mortar. MER - It IS starting to look like a mosaicist lives here, huh?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe someone - MEADEL - called me a genius - N.O.T. This idea was totally off base. The thinset didn't adhere to the duct tape. Today I was having withdrawals to glue something to something, and told self "it's too early to clean for weekend company", so decided to work on this hairbrained project. I had realized there was trouble awhile back, but put it outta my mind and went to work on the wall. Alas, today, wanting to mosaic SOMETHING, and realizing I needed to address this project, and realized this won't work, I threw a temper fit and threw the whole thing in the trash to go off tomorrow, I couldn't get it outta my mind. After trying to make a half circle w/the wire mesh, which turned sour, I retrieved the tube and had this "brilliant???" idea. I tore off the duct tape, glued on burlap, and had planned to cover it w/plaster, but....., after letting it dry a bit under a fan, started gluing on stuff. I had applied thinset on the inside of the tube, so it's stiff. This, if it works, w/be a stand-alone half post. **sigh** - genius - N.O.T. Crazy - YES. I consoled myself w/"if I don't experiment, I don't learn".
    Half Post - New Approach

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A little progress - using mostly scraps - cleaning out the workshop.
    Half Post Progress

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

i think whatever you are smoking drinking or eating you need to bottle and sell. you have more energy than the energizer bunny and more creativity than michelangelowarhol. i absolutely love those posts that you do and would love to put one in my patio. i bow down to the queen. they have truly given you the right name.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Slow you are so like me will not give up !! looking good .Let me tell you what I use a whole lot I use fiber glass dry wall tape on any thing I need to be held together they now make a wider ome you can get a wallm..It realy works great.I am now redoing out door garding stachuit is a frog holding a spear wich broke so did the frog I filled it with cem mixed with strafoam so it would not be so heavy .The g spear I made out of those light fixtur It was to small I started layering it with the tape and thinset cut the lip off and sucured it with the tape .I will put a pic when I get thr.I did not mean to get carred a way sorry.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

KRAFT - now you got me LOL. I just have a large dose of determination is all. Thank you. NANA: I've never used the tape cuz I thought it only comes in the narrow roll, but I'll be looking for it tomorrow on my next trip to Lowes. Thanks for the tip. Anxious to see your pictures.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Well I'll be danged...leave you alone for 5 minutes and you are dumpster diving! Looking good gal..I knew you could figure it out.now tell us how to do one of those in the full round that will hold up outside w/o pouring concrete inside it. Inquiring minds want to know...and any scraps you don't use on your cleanout, throw my way.LOL
    that way I won't have to dive.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In for my evening check - had to clean house today, and didn't get to play. FLAG - After my weekend guests leave, I w/come down and make you one out of the wire mesh. No way, girlie, w/this last outside - it's cardboard. Pouring the concrete in between the two sized tubes is more work intensive than rolling two pieces of the diamond mesh and mortaring it. Easy smeasy. What'll you trade me for the work - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Hmmmm maybe a new tile or two for this masterpiece?

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, you go girl!! I can't wait to see what your family, friends say this weekend when they see your new outdoor room!! would love to see their faces!!

It's getting to be time for you to start offering tours to your home and gardens. Between you and Flag, they sure would get their money's worth.

Or better yet, offer some classes in mosaic inventiveness and creativity!!

just awesome.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How nice of you, MER. Tours - that's what Riana suggested, but dang, I have so little time and strength to do what I love doing, I don't want to get into something that w/take time away from what I love. Many thanks. See you Thursday, FLAG.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is one of the slouchiest projects I've made in awhile. Not happy w/it, but I lost interest during the interruption to make the wall, and the inspiration never came back. Okfine - it's done.
    Half Post Finished

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Look at the BLING comin' off that baby!!! Turned out great Slow!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Not bad lady, not bad at all. Sorry you don't like it as much as you thought...I love the vertical tiles at the top. Are those some of your new glass ones?

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, maybe it was just a bit of a letdown coming off your fantastic Great Wall of Slow??? I love it any way. Maybe it will grow on you..

I feel that way about lots of my projects, but I'm no Slow.LOL

So what's up next?? Munching popcorn..

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I think it turned out great !!!! I love it .

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Y'all are so nice - even on my failures, y'all make me feel better. FLAG - the red and blue were 3"X6" of the new tiles, and the green at the bottom are the little brick tiles from the same lot. The 3X6s cut easily. The rest of the project is made up of scraps I wanted to use up. It's a scrappy project for sure. MER - you're right - a let down. I'm working on finishing up the cinder blocks I had standing by the fountain b/f the wall. I had only covered the front sides. Now that I'll be scattering them around the yard for plant stands, I have to finish all sides. I'm twirling an idea for a fountain next, which requires another wall - for the front swing area. It'll be a larger project than the wall, if you can believe it. Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting