Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Second Hanging Planter

texaswild
13 years ago

Finally grouted this little puppy. Was finished a couple weeks ago, and life got busy. These make great patio pots, y'all. I can also see them on garden walls/fences - could be a whole wall of hanging plants.

Second Hanging Planter

Comments (11)

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Wow! Another beauty!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Yep another beauty!!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all. They're fun to make and fun to have hanging about. These went to the nursery for sale, but I want some for myself, but gonna work on the castle grounds next.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I love the pattern and the colors you used. They really pop!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Very Vibrant!!! I bet they will sell like hotcakes! I got my e ticket yesterday...I'M COMING SLOW!!!!! I can Hardly wait!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CALAM: I can't believe it's really true, and look forward w/much anticipation to your visit. We'll have such a great time. Dreamed last last night I was at the Haciendo, looking for another venue for a workshop, and I hadn't brought the info w/me. Spent the whole dream waiting for Sam to come back and search the internet for the workshop I was paid up to attend. Riana, of course, was there doing her workshop. Can y'all tell I left my heart in Puerto Vallarta???

• texasfern
    13 years ago

as usual you blow me away Slow.
    If i may ask how you made them?

• fldirt
    13 years ago

Very nice & I love the colors.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all. TEX - I used hardware cloth. Cut a square off and fold it around to make the cone shape. Stitch it together w/wire "needles" - take the linesman pliers to bend the end of a six-inch piece of wire - pinch it together and use it as your needle to go into the mesh, pull it out and twist and cut. Put another layer of the hardware cloth on, stitching it securely. Then use mortar mix, mix w/water to a nice consistency - enough to squeeze into a ball w/gloved hands, and w/the heel of the palm of your hand mold it in between the layers of HC. The diamond metal lath holds the mortar more easily, but for small things the HC works. I had to put on two layers of mortar for one of these as the HC was so close together, the mortar wanted to fall through the holes. It's the technique I learned from Riana in Puerto Vallarta five yrs. ago. Glad to see you back - don't stay away so long, and show us what you just grouted.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful colorful piece. I love the idea of a whole wall of them. I can't wait for summer so I can try this method.
    I have a new puppy so I haven't been at GW much for the past week, but its fun to catch up here and at G.Junk.
    Would you mind sharing what the garden center sells them for? And what percentage do you get of that amount? My friend here in NH whom I mosaic with every week is getting pressure by her husband to actually make some money, not just create. I'm not ready to sell any mosaics but she is, I think. We have upscale stores in nearby towns, plus of course garden centers everywhere.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CONCRETE: These just went in last Wednesday. They may not sell - who knows? This town is so tight w/their pennies!!!!!! I put a price of $125 on them. The nursery owner charges me 25% commission. I took three wall plaques to a gallery in another town yesterday, and was told by a customer that the work needs to be exhibited in a Dallas gallery. Yeah, right!!! I'm really too lazy to market. Just getting the pieces there was a PITA, and made me grouchy. Don't care whether or not they sell. The lady invited me to bring them in last week when I took my granddaughter shopping and mentioned what I do. It's a very limited market, but in a tourist town - who knows!!