Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamalinda_gw

How to make an oval mirrow frame?

mamalinda
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm completely new to this and I've never done mosaic...

But I've I got it in my head that I'd like to make a frame for our bathroom mirror with some leftover tile we have after tiling the front of our bathtub.

Our mirror, however, is oval - about 3' at the tallest and 2' at the widest.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could make an oval frame to mosaic my tile pieces onto?

Any and all ideas, tips, suggestions, etc. would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Linda

Comments (8)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

First, I'd Google images for "mosaiced mirrors". You'll find lots of ideas. Also, visit some of the mosaic artists' websites and search for mirrors. If I were making your project, I'd take the mirror from the existing frame, put it on a piece of 3/4" MDF, and trace around it. I'd add to that line toward the center of the oval, about 1/2" and cut it out w/a jigsaw. Drill a hold somewhere inside that oval for the starter hold for the blade. I'd then sketch out either a whimsical or just a regular oval around that first drawing - about three/four inches, or whatever size I wanted. Cut that out, and mosaic away. Put the mirror on the back of the frame and attach w/silicon all around, and w/mirror hardware attachments one can find at glass companies. Then on the front, I'd probably use either BBs, small tiles or some decorative beads to go around the edge of the mirror. Viola. Hope this helps.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I'd look for an inexpensive mirror in an oval frame at a place like Kohls or Ross's. They're difficult to cut yourself. My dad made a jig that moved in all directions needed to help him cut an oval frame. It was quite an amazing mechanical contraption. You should be able to buy a mirror in a frame ready to mosaic for about $20.00-$25.00 I think, so you could start right away. Then you don't have to have a separate mirror cut either. Have fun! Be sure to give us lots of pictures!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oops! I didn't see Slow's good instructions for you and thought I was the first responder. It never occured to me to trace and cut as Slow suggested.....and she's the Queen of all things mosaic and does these things all the time, so you can wholey trust her instructions! Great information as always from her! Go for it!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

I have also done a mirrow by glueing the mi to the mdf or plyboared iI glued the mirrow to it and then work around it onley mine was a mirrow .You know I do not think I got a pic.Slow idea is a great one too.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

http://mosaic-addicts-group.ning.com/photo/2208128:Photo:25?context=latestI did not do this .some one else just want to show you what it can look like.

• emtnest
    15 years ago

At the link above, you have to join the group to view the photos. I joined... and found some great works..thanks

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Yeah, NANA: Later in the day after I posted my response, I thought "why didn't I tell her just to glue the mirror to the MDF?" What a dufus I am. That is the better plan I think, in case you don't want an under-mounted mirror. Much easier too. MAMA - hope you're getting set to have a wonderful time w/it. We look forward to some pictures, and don't mind asking more questions - we LOVE to help newbies.

• mamalinda
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for all the ideas! I'm going to get some MDF over the weekend and then I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County