Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BB question

Posted by texasfern (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 12:37

What do you use to fill the holes in the bowling ball?
I want to start one today, i NEED to start something, and what I usually use takes too long.
I need a "fill it now and get started" plan!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BB question

I have done a couple BB and I put aluminum foil in the holes then put some plaster like polyfilla on top of it, when dry you just sand a little to make things nice and smooth and voila, you are ready to go! Hope this helps!
Woo hoo, finally I can help someone!

o

I read to use wood putty. I tried little pebbles to fill most of it and then thinset, but the thinset droops and cracks. I'm having trouble with filling and losing the etched lettering on mine. Arg!

o

I stuffed the one I taped, with cotton balls, covered with masking tape, covered with duct tape.
it stayed firm.

o

I don't put anything in mine. I usually try to put a large piece of tess over it and, on some, I just leave them open to prove that it really is a bowling ball! Good luck!
Ann

o

I fill it with left-over grout. Smooth over the hole...perfect.

becky

o

I stuff paper towels and then fill up with GE Silicone II. It will set within the hour.

Susie

o

I only fill in the two finger holes and leave the thumb hole so that it can be put on rebar or something else... if it is not put on anything it can always be put hole down. Also use leftover grout or just mix some up.. cement or thinset works as well.

o

I only do 2 holes like Emtnest does. I use tightly packed foil and close over that with thinset

o

What a frugal creative bunch we are!
Thanks ya'll. I'm almost finished with the mirror, and will stuff the little holes and start tomorrow!
Hopefully I will have a camera for some pics.

o

I have covered them with tess And others have left cuz it's so fun to see peoples faces when you turn it over and show them the BB holes!!!lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here