Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coloring Grout Question

Posted by Jayne77 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 12:34

Hi,
I am new to mosaic work although I have experience with stained glass. I am working on an intricate and colorful stained glass mosaic right now and would like to have many different colors of grout. Should I premix many containers of grout and do each area a different color or should I paint the grout afterwords? I read somewhere on this board that painted grout looks tacky. Is that true? Please help!!
Thanks,
jaynelouise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coloring Grout Question

Welcome: Personally I use black, charcoal or gray on everything I mosaic. Grout color is strictly a personal choice. Lots of artists use multi-colors in one piece very effectively. Don't believe I've seen the word tacky used on this forum re grout colors, but if so - who made that person grout police? It's the artist's choice, IMO.

o

It is as slow said personal. I am a fan of black charcoal or gray also-very rarely do I venture away from that.
Linda Smith (mosaicsmith) on her blog has a couple of good tutorials for multiple color grouts in a mosaic.
Painting grout-I have done it, you must use a wash, if you use straight undiluted paint it can look thick and unnatural, hence the tackiness you refer to. I would not recommend mixing up all the colors at once-it may set up before you get to use it! Heres some links. Linda, as an artist really has a fine instructional blog.
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-shading-grout-in-mosaic.html
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2010/04/thoughts-on-how-to-choose-grout-color.html
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2009/10/shading-grout.html

o

I too have painted grout many times but if you paint it straight on the grout with a brush, it looks ''unnatural'' somehow. What I do is I lightly sponge on paint with a sea sponge and then wipe off the tesserae with a terry cloth rag. Sometimes I do multiple layers of paint. Sponging it give me the soft blendy look I want.

o

Thank you for all of your help! I will post a picture of my mosaic when it is finished!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here