Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? for Sloe or anyone

Posted by nanatricia (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 12:17

I am doing a heart that will go in a side walk.The owner put a hole in the side walk this for it .I did it on hardy board (cem) .Should I grout it be fore I put it in the hole or wate and do it after I put it in.I am going to have to put filler in the bottem to make leavel with the side walk.I am consearn about my body ( have fib and Lupes ) I will do what is best .I am doing this for the flower shop I used to work at so I want it to look good .
Also what sealer should I use the side walk is pretty high it will just be run off.It is in the middle as you walk up the steps.Thanks every one By the way I am not a good speller I am sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? for Sloe or anyone

I, too, find it hard to work down on hands/knees these days, and if I were doing the project, I'd grout the heart first. Then, you can fill in around it after it is placed in the spot. Sounds like a fun project. Now I wish I had a hole in my front walk. Think I said the same thing when JOYY was filling holes in hers. You don't need to seal it cuz I assume you're using thinset, and I recommend you use the same thing for grout. It's concrete, like your sidewalk. Be sure and spritz the sidewalk w/water b/f setting it all in. Also, Google to see if there isn't something that w/make a good bond between old and new concrete. Seems I've read that it's necessary, but if I were doing it, I'd just spritz w/water. Then later, if it separates, put more thinset in the cracks. I experiment w/everything - totally self taught w/no fears.

o
RE: ? for Sloe or anyone

I couldn't have said it any better than Slow, I agree with her that you should use thinset for grout and the only thing I don't agree with is sealing it. I seal everything.
The thing about wetting the concrete prior to filling in around this is a good idea. Good luck and post pics. I am sure it is beautiful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here