Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on graveside pet memorial marker

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 9:39

A friend lost his dog this week and buried him in his back yard. I'd like to make him something. I was thinking of making a graveside marker so that he can see it when he goes to visit him but I don't think he would want an everyday reminder like a picture inside the house.

So far I'm either thinking of a stepping stone or a cross. I like the cross idea better but don't know the logistics of how he would display it. Would I have to stick it on a stick, and if so, that doesn't sound strong enough to survive the elements. Any advice on the logistics of an outside marker like this?

Any other advice on what kind of pet memorial gifts you have made for people that have gone over well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on graveside pet memorial marker

If you want the marker to stand up, you need a stand that won't deteriorate in the ground. If you want it to lie flat, a stepping stone is a good idea. You can make your own by using heavy cardboard and duct tape to make a mould of concrete. OR, you can use the method to which I've become addicted - diamond lath/concrete. Picture of one I made for a friend follows: The picture that comes up is the back. Check out all views to show the process. (I know - I'm shameless - any excuse to show my stuff).
Pet Grave Marker

o

also-you could make a mold of a cross and insert either a copper pipe or some electrical conduit pipe in the concrete as you pour it to have a pole to stick in the ground. Either way would be lovely and a nice thought for your friend.

o

I have done what WW said it worked out great .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here