Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Back and Overwhelmed But Here's a Beginning

texaswild
17 years ago

NO TIME to spend w/you wonderful people today but just to let you know ROSIE and I are back w/a couple pics, I've put a couple in my album for you to see my project that's still a WIP. Absolutely no words would describe the magical time we spent together w/CALAM and KLINGER, or the indescribable beauty, serenity, inspiring place where our brains were on overload every single moment and everywhere we looked while we spent there. I LOVED CALAM and KLINGER before, but now I absolutely adore those two wonderful people. They are now my "Forever Friends". I only wish every single one of you could have been there. I plan to go back next year. A couple pics of my little shrine follows. I made it from the technique we learned. The blue bottle bottom was found on our first day out on the street looking for treasures on the ground, as we searched for the elusive hardware store. Riana was wonderful, and her technique opened so many doors I'll never get to open them all to explore the possibilities. The art at the Hacienda is never-ending and I want to make one of each of the things I saw. Signing off now to get to work on catching up on reading the forum and, yes, chores in the garden that are screaming at me. Hoping to grout the shrine tomorrow.

Shrine WIP

Comments (17)

• shrty411
    17 years ago

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH! they're home! we really missed you guys! It's sounds like a wonderful time and it must have been if YOU are planning to travel again LOL

welcome home Slow and Rose!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Cute little shrine!! Nice to have you back!

• stjohnsgypsy
    17 years ago

Welcome Home Slow and Rosie! Bet you guys have so many cool ideas! How did you travel on the plane with your shrine? It is really nice!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

So glad to have you home!!!
    I just looked at the pics in Rosie's album.
    They are so great. What an amazing time it must have been.
    You are all so lucky to have been able to do that together.

I'm so glad to have you home. You guys were really missed around here!

Hazie

• lilym
    17 years ago

Welcome back, bet it was fun.

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Glad to know you are back and had such a wonderful experience.
    Debbie

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I bet your brain is going 100 mph !!! Glad you're back - can't wait to read more of your posts !

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, thanks for missing us. Yes, NICE, it was THAT enjoyable, to make me want to go back. All the airport hassle, getting those cowgirl boots off/on, draggin' the heavy shrine back cuz I couldn't lift it, digging for ticket/passport while ROSIE was ahead, yelling for the old lady to hurry, the humidity and hair problem, especially blowing in the open windows of the taxis, looking like death warmed over cuz I didn't want to give up and take an afternoon rest stop. I have to find juuuust the right workshop in order to go back next year. It's a magical place. YES - my brain is still on overload. Going to Lowes today to get supplies to make a semi-copy of the Tisha Moore wannabe piece, and the stockings from screen. Wanna make the crown too. Wish I could learn to weld. Wanna do some metal art. Already ordered the Linda/Opie O'Brien book on that subject. So many things to do and so little time. Thanks for the welcome back. We missed y'all too.

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Welcome back... the board will be hopping now!!!! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finally finished the niche and angel by grouting. Can't hang it outside yet cuz the garden is still a mess. Waiting for yard help to clean up today or Thursday, then I'll hang it on the fence above the "little church" and "little house". The original plan was to "build" a rock, using the technique learned in the workshop, and put the angel on it just behind the cross about half-way in the middle. I have so many other things on the list, I need to get on w/them so this is a finished project - the angel w/go inside the niche. BTW - I accidently deleted the WHOLE "My Queendom" album, and have spent the last 1 1/2 hrs. re-creating it. AAAAAaaaaarrrrgh!
    Niche/angel grouted

• flagtruck
    17 years ago

That Shrine is AWESOME!! Did you learn how to make the little dog that was shown in the ad about the workshop? I want to know how to make the dog...please :( please!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Those are both wonderful. There's a different kind of "folk art" look to them. How did you get that tarnished look on the niche?

• shrty411
    17 years ago

They look great grouted. I was looking at my hardware cloth yesterday and it is galvanized!! Woo-hoo.

Sorry you had to re-create your album. I hate redoing stuff like that a real "p-i-t-a"

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again, y'all. FLAG: The process for making everything is the same. Go to my "Recipe - Hope I can do this right" thread and there find the technique we learned for building ANYTHING you want to make in concrete. It is sooooooo easy and simple. NICE - the inside and edge of the shrine is mirror glass. GREAT, SHRTY - go for it. ANYTHING, literally EVERYTHING you dream of finding as a mold or object to make or mosaic can now be done w/this technique. If you want a column, a bench, a tower, a critter, animal, pot, box, trough, - just dream it up - you can build yourself, put the concrete skin on it and mosaic away. AND it is there to STAY! Very strong. You can stand on the little dog, FLAG. The stuff is almost indestructible

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Looks Awesome Slow!!! The angel especially!!! I gotta get to work on my cracked hand so I can give it to my Buddy Sandy, and then I'm gonna start on the wall sconce Klinger gmade for me, ooohhh the ideas for that puppy!!! It's gonna have glass hanging off it with glass bead tassles, and maybe mirror on the body for some bling!!! I'm off to my shed to find just the right stand to display the hand!

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Another BEAUTEOUS project by SLOW! I'm so glad you chose a niche for your project since we've been dreaming of them since Kaffe's book featured one.