Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyy_gw

do you use a cutting system?

joyy
15 years ago

i know people use them all the time but i've been cutting up small pieces of glass that end up being pretty random and then fitting them into the shapes i want.

well, i finally (3 years later) tried using square pieces and it was fun. i'll never get away from my random pieces of glass but i might use squares more.

how do those glass cutting systems work? when i cut squares, i just use a ruler and my toyo cutter and then some running pliers... it's time consuming but that's ok - what i want is for the pieces to end up more uniform.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• crazymosaics
    15 years ago

I have the Beetle Bits cutting system and I love it. I've cut strips and squares in no time and there are instructions on how to cut diamonds and triangles which i'm going to try this weekend. i even thought i lost a piece to my beetle bits system and emailed and asked the guy where i could purchase the piece and he offered to send it to me for free. he's very helpful if you have problems.

• joyy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

can you choose your own size of squares and adjust it? or is it just a standard size?

• crazymosaics
    15 years ago

Yes, you can adjust it to whatever size you want. There is a ruler at the bottom and you can measure your squares to make them as big or small as you'd like. I have the flying beetle which is the glass cutter. You attach it to the black piece and just slide it down and it cuts the glass. Once you cut the glass one way you cut it the other way and then just use your running plier to break into pieces.

See the picture at the link below.

Here is the link: http://cuttersmate.com/beetle_bits.htm

I purchased mine from a stained glass store because the guy who invented it was there giving a demonstration so it was 15% off.

I hope this makes sense :)

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Crazy, you met Ray? I heard he gives a great demo!

Joy I do what you do, a straight edge and my toyo... I just eyeball it, not measured, I can even make decent enough diamonds that way too... I'd like to have the beetle system, but the jr set up to take up less space... maybe someday

• gibsona
    15 years ago

I want a mini beetle bug so bad, but I don't know where to order one from! I use a regular tile cutter but have a hard time getting every one the same size.
    Ann

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I'm with you Ann. My space would only allow a small version. Did google the other day, but didn't find anything for a mini version. If anyone has seen a site for one could you please post. I'd be very intrested.

• crazymosaics
    15 years ago

it actually doesn't take up much room. The grids are what take up the room. I have six grids but I don't use all six at a time. I'll take a picture this weekend of 4 grids set up and 6 grids set up and post it on here so you can see what it looks like on a table. It's also very easy take apart and put back together. I hope that will help.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Thanks Crazymosaics. I'd appreciate that

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Have you seen Ray's video?

Here is a link that might be useful: demo video

• glassgunner
    15 years ago

Greetings Ladies:
    You can e-mail me at info@cuttersmate.com
    I just need your state and town and I can hook
    you up with the Beetle Mini.
    Your friend,
    Ray Nicholas President CSG Inc.

• gin_gin
    15 years ago

I do have the beetle bits system and like it a lot. I don't use it for mosaics though, I use it mainly for cutting pieces for glass fusing. For mosaics I really prefer the random nipped pieces fitted closely together. I have to admit though I haven't been doing any mosaics lately, fusing has taken over my life.:o)

• crazymosaics
    14 years ago

Sorry for the delay in posting but here are my pictures of my Beetle Bits System. We don't have a big kitchen table and we never eat on the kitchen table unless we have guests over so it's a perfect place for me. I took picutres with the four grids and two with the six grids. I hope this helps.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• african
    14 years ago

Can somebody please explain how the Beetle Bits works - I must be dumb, not to follow such clear pictures.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County