Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyscache

alaska-mt redoubt (volcano) erupted !!!

cathyscache
15 years ago

The volcano Mt Redoubt finally blew last night at 10:38pm..And has erupted 3 times since. It's 3:12am when posting this. An ash plume of up to 50 thousand ft. I'll post more in the morning. Later, Cathy

Comments (26)

• charmo
    15 years ago

I know, I just read that on the news. Does this affect your area at all Cathy? Hope you guys are doing alright!
    Thinking of you!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Charmo, Yes It will effect us. We can see it from our house. The wind is not blowing our directon yet. But we will have ash here soon. Everybodys been prepared for a couple of months now though. We just wait and see. My son was here from Anchorage yesterday, he planned tos psend the night but after it blew he headed home trying to beat the ash. He was afraid he'd be stuck here indefinetly. The ash can reek havoc on vehicles. I'll post and let U all know what's going on. Later, Cathy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

We're thinking of you all! My gosh! KEep us posted!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Scary and exciting both! Keep us posted...btw, Cathy sent me the most amazing bag of Alaska agates!!! They are really cool.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's 11:30am 2/23/09..The wind has blown the ash plume completely away from us here in the Kenai area, so far. It has even passed Anchorage, and Wasillia ,but ash is showing up in the Susitina valley around Talkeetna area. We're sure hoping the wind direction doesn't change anytime soon! It has blown again since my last post. So far 5 blows..all large ones...
    4 hrs before the first blow they were seeing over 50 earthquakes an hour around the mountain, so it was building for the blow.
    I'll post more tonight..All is well here so far. If it clears enoguh to get a pic I will and post but it's pretty overcast today. It's calling for snow which would be a good thing. If the ash comes this way the snow would help settle it. The kids sure think it's cool. later, Cathy

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Gee Cathy that sure sounds unsettling. Bad enough to have the volcano blow, but to have earthquakes to boot. Please take care and keep us posted.

Kathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI, It blew again tonight at 7:41pm. Another big one. Still no ash here, but wind is supposed to change tomorrow so if it continues to blow we may get ash covered. It's been in unest for over a year so I guess it's gonna just keep spilling!! Maybe it will be clearer tomorrow and I'll be able to get a picture...Later, Cathy

• charmo
    15 years ago

Hopefully the wind won't change direction and you won't get any ash. Or at least I hope it snows. Keep us posted and take care!

• suzyqute
    15 years ago

What area of the Kenai are you in ? Dh and I were there in '07, first trip , beautiful ! Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Suzy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We live 6 miles North of Nikiski. Almost at the end of the road!! About 4 miles from Captain Cook State Park. The road ends at the park. We love it here and it si beautiful.
    So far all is well. Still no ash here. But that could change soon . The wind seems to be shifting. We're prepared!! Cathy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Just catching this.
    Stay safe and we're hoping for the best for you and your family.
    I was in Fairbanks from 1962 to 1966. I have missed Alaska ever since.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tex, We're good so far. The wind is still not coming our direction. Alaska has changed since then..I've been here since Nov. 1972...and the changes I've seen are remarkable!! But it's for the better...Water, sewer and all the normal amendities are now in place. Shopping can be done local instead of the Sears Roebuck catalog, and the beauty is still amazing!!!
    Had a moose and rabbits in the yard this morning. Eagles flying overhead all day long. It's just a great place to live. I truly can't imagine living anywhere else. Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It blew again this morning. A much smaller one though. This one was only 15 thousand ft...So maybe it's gonna settle down soon. Hope so..I'd liek to quit worrying about it. But they say this could go on for weeks maybe even months...I hope not. Come May I have a garden to plant and I don't want ash ruining it!!!

• charmo
    15 years ago

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully it will all be over soon and you can still enjoy your garden!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He blew again!!! The biggest yet!!! Plume went to over 65 thousand ft.....And the wind has changed so they say we're gonna get some ash fall here. Their predictating only slight amount here. The most will fall on a few small towns south of us. So I guess we'll see it in the next hour or so. I thought he had decided to quiet down, guess I was wrong!!! Later, Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He BLEW AGAIN!!! This time the ASH fall got US!!! I went to town today and @ 1:15pm I heard on the radio it blew. Plume @25 thousand ft no ash expected, well I came out of the store @ 3:45pm and looked in the sky and it looked like an atomic bomb had went off. It had blown only a minute of so before I walked out and it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen!!!!!!!!!A huge mushroom plume of ash and steam/smoke and whatever else was covering the sky!!! This one was only 35 thousand ft but was the first clear day since it started blowing that we could see it!!! Everyone in the parking lot was standing and staring...WOOOOOWWW It was an AWESOME sight!!!!! Well I headed home and it became almost dark (sun had been shining)10 miles from home it was like driving in the most dense fog you can imagine. We were blanketed in ash. There was times I had to stop for fear I might hit someone because I couldn't see at all. All the white snow turned grey and the smell of sulfur was so strong in the car I began to choke up. The dog even started snorting!!! It has settled now. But we are now grey instead of white. Very weird/strange. I knew it was just a matter of time before it got us here.
    But all is well. And all we can do is wait to see what the next BLOW brings!!!!
    I ran to my car to get my camera when I saw the blow, forgot it on my desk. It would have been the most awesome picture!!! I put it out before I left and it was still right where I left it!!! Ticked me OFF big Time!!!!!!!!!!!Cathy

• cait1
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! I just went through bushfires and we had an small earthquake but a volcano??? NO THANKS!! I'm so glad you're safe. My prayers are there with you. Keep us posted.

Cait

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's 4:15am. I just got up and we have had a scattering of snow during the night. so that will help settle the ash we got yesterday. If any one wasts to check it out and see pics. go to this site www.alaska.avo.edu.....later, Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He's been quiet since Sat. And we got several inches of snow last night so all that gross ash is now covered. It's beautiful and sunny today!!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.
    Glad to hear you and yours are ok.
    I experienced the 1964 earthquake up there,,,that was enough for me.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, The ole guy has just been blowing off a lot of hot air (steam) the last few days (typical for a male-LOL) nothing major since Sat. A couple of blows to 20 and 25 thousand ft. but they are considered to small to even worry about.
    If anything majors happens I'll post...Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He's been quiet a few days now, not sure if that's good or bad. But we just wait and see.
    Tex, I wasn't here during the earthquake but my ex-in laws were and they have some really awful pictures. Sure hope that doesn't happen again.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Ole guy blew again this morning at 6:00a. A 50 thousand height blow. Looks like the wind is in out favor as ash is supposed to miss us. I'm going to drive down the road and try to get a pic today. If I do I'll post tonight. It's clear and sunny today so I should be able to get a fairly decent one, hoepfully.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, I finally got some pics of the ole guy!! He's only steaming at the moment. But it was a beautiful sunny, clear day and I was able to get some good pics...Just thought I'd share...These pics were taken about 5 miles down the road..

Here is a link that might be useful: Volcano-Mt Redoubt

• shrty411
    15 years ago

amazing picture!!

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

That's amazing!

Here's the actual address for loads of photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt Redoubt Volcano Photos

Sponsored