Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salt dough

Posted by missmosaic (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 6:42

Can you make tile out of salt dough then bake and paint them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salt dough

you can...but even with careful sealing they dont last but a year or two. Polymer clay is a much better option. once baked to cure it can be used in a mosaic or even outside even though the colors might fade. Plain white super sculpey can be purchased cheaply in large blocks at walmart-and painted once cured. Its loads of fun.

o

Actually, I made a bunch of things out of salt dough about 30 years ago and still have many of them. Christmas ornaments, bread baskets. I sealed them with Varithane. They are in the same condition as they were the day I made them.

I definitely would not expose them to the elements or water, though. Not sure how they would hold up to grouting.

o

Thank you for your comments !

o

I would go with the polymer clay instead. I can't say for sure, because I've not made things with salt dough and kept them for years, but I tend to stay away from food-based (grain-based) materials for art projects. I've seen too many in thrift shops or junk shops that had deteriorated due to water damage or insect damage.

o

it isn't until you put them into a mosaic that you begin to see they do change. They shrink and pull back from the edges of the neighboring tess. I did have to go back over a previous gift I had made and replace the salt dough with PC.

That said, unless you are stamping, you can go one step better that PC and having to bake it. Apoxie sculpt air dries and is alot tougher.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here