Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seethrough grout

Posted by PovertyLodge (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 3:49

I completed a piece using tesserae of stained glass which looked beautiful and bright - until I grouted. Now it looks very dull. Does anyone know of something I can use in place of grout, which will allow light to penetrate the sides of the tesserae?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seethrough grout

Did you use white grout ? The color of grout seems to determine whether your piece turns out or not. Did you wipe off the final haze on the glass ? That can give it that dull look. I use tile sealer & that gives the grout a brighter , richer tone. The only clear thing I've seen is silicone and that would be impossible to grout with. I hope you get some more good suggestions !

o

Thanks, toomuchglass! I used black grout which was probably a mistake but the problem was the light coming through the sides of the glass pieces was extinguished and I think any colour grout would have done that. I did wipe off the final haze and I agree with you that silicone would be terribly difficult.

o

Next time try using silver tape under your sg it helps brighten the glass.Hope you understand .

o

Yes,nanatricia, I have used britebak before but this was such a big piece and the tesserae were tiny so it would have been very tedious but thanks for the suggestion

o

You can cover the piece with epoxy resin instead of grout, I personally dont like that look, but some do.
I have had glass do that and it is disappointing. what nana says is good. also, I simply prefer to work with small grout spaces, very small. and some ppl butt the pieces right up to each other and dont grout.

o

I'm interested in the epoxy resin notion. Does anyone have advice on how to use it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here