Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyscache

TV-Entertainment cabinet- WIP

cathyscache
15 years ago

HI all,

I'm finally at it again.

I've been spring cleaning,even though spring is not here in Alaska yet, I will be ready when it does get here. The walls are scrubbed,closets cleared, etc.etc. But I'm done and ready to get back at the FUN work. I stained the cabinet and now I'm adding dark brwon stained glass and will grout black. The middle spot will have birch bark and nail heads which will match some of my other pieces. This ones going a lot quicker than I thought. I'll be done with the glass and the bark tomorrow if I can find some good bark that is.

Anyway just thought I'd share. Will post pics when finished. later, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: TV-Entertainment cabinet-WIP

Comments (23)

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Oh Cathy that is going to be a great piece. I love your things that have birch bark..

• charmo
    15 years ago

This is gonna look great Cathy, can't wait to see it finished. I really like the boot also. You seem to have lots of really neat things!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, - very nice project - that'll be so unique.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This will be so pretty when you are done! I too love the birch bark! Did your hubby make the boot?

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI all, Yes Calam, hubby made the boot. It's holding Q-tipd in our bathroom.
    Hubby knocked down a tree the other day so I tredged up the hill through 3 ft or more of snow, with chainsaw and sled in tow. I cut me a few logs and skinned em, so the bark and glass are both done on the cabinet. I even got some nails on before I quit today. Should probably grout tomorrow and maybe get 1 of the 3 coats of finsih on. The colors in the bark really show when it's has finish on it. I'll order the clear glass for the front doors on Mon...Here's an update pic Later, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: TV-Entertainment cabinet

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished the glass on the drawer last night. The bark on the doors is taking a little longer than I planned since I'm having to clamp each piece while the glue dries. But it coming along. Anxious to get it all on so I can start the wood finishing. I get so impatient when working on projects like this. I just want it all done right now!!!! I guess I'll just have to start another project while I wait... Later all, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: TV-Entertainment cabinet drawers

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Painstaking makes beautiful!
    I like the color of the wood, are you going to grout with a terra cotta or nutmeg to maintain that look?

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning, Heres an update on my cabinet. I have only one piece of bark left to glue on the 2nd door. Then I can start the wood finishing process. Really anxious toget this one done. Gonna try to get it done before the grandkids come home from visiting their Uncle in Anchorage. We'll see...Later, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: TV-Cabinet

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!!!!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Cathy, that is looking so great! I just love the bark!!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all, Tex I grouted with blk....the other colors just didn't look right. The glass is drk brown..it looks blk in the pictures but is brown....and the grout looks grey in the pics.. but will drk when dealed....the last piece of bark is on and I will start the first coat of finish this afternoon. I'm actaully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I should be done by Sat....yeah...got other things I want to start!!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

What a nice piece of furniture. Good job, CATHY

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I pounded nails for several hours yesterday in hopes of being done with the doors, bUUUUTTT I ran out of nails!!! I was hoping to put the 1st coat of finish on, but that didn't happen. Hopefully I can find matching nails here in toown, if not I'll have to order them..Wouldn't you know just when I'm at the end..Oh well!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: TV-Entertainment-cabinet doors-WIP

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the nails here!!! YEEE HAH!!!! Anyway all the nalis are in and the 1st coat of finish is on. Hopefully it will be dry enough to steelwool and put the 2nd coat on before I go to bed...So I should be done by tomorrow night!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to be done...I just get way too impatient.....later, Cathy

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Oh Cathy, those doors are beautiful!!!!! Just love your work.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks emtnest, It's much prettier than I can get the pics to show. Maybe when it's up in the house the pics will be better, anyway I just put the 3rd coat on. Tonight late, I will put a 4th coat on just the top and it will be done!!! I'll post pics tomorrow when it's up in the house in place. Oh thank goodness it's finished!!! It has taken way too much time. My hubby and I have both had the crude...so it's been slower than most. later, Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's done finally!!! I broguht it up tp the house yesterday. The TV is on it now but the TV is supposed to be mounted on the wall soon, as the Tv is wider than the cabinet! (Tv is too big for this house but that's a guy thing!) Funny thing he bouhgt it without me, because he knew I did not want that big a TV!!!! (It's a sore subject around here) Anyway once the Tv is on the wall I'll be able to rearrange things more to my liking. Already on to other things...Which I could take better pictures becait's really prettier than I can get the pics to show. Anyway I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, even if it did seem to take forever!!! And my sons have already started arguing about who will get it when I die! LOL I told them I'm only 51 almost 52 but I plan to be around for a long time so don't make any plans for it any time soon!!!Kids...!! LOL...Later, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished-TV-Entertainment cabinet

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What a wonderful piece of furniture!
    Excellent job.
    What are those round thingys on the door edges?
    My kids and grandkids do the same with my stuff!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tex, Thanks...those are decorative upholestery nails. My hubby is an Ole' Cowboy originally from Idaho, and I'm a Cailfornia Cowgirl...so we like that Western Rustic look...I have a lot of the same look all over our house. I guess some things just never change no matter how old you get or where you live.....I put the clear glass knobs on it cause I thought it gave it a Elegant Rustic Western look!! My hubby just said "Oh yeah" and laughed!! LOL!!!! I just like it and so they stayed.....We tried several others but the clear glass knobs just looked the best to me...And i always have the last say!!! HEE HEE!!!! Cathy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Those glass knobs are a wonderful touch.
    I love your style girl.

• emtnest
    15 years ago

I agree with Texasfern... you got some mighty fine knobs there!!! I looks so pretty in place!!!1

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Beautiful piece of furniture, and so well thought out - wonderful blend of mediums.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have another piece of furniture that needs a makeover. I think I'm going to add the same glass and Birch bark but with a twist. I'm thinking of cutting the birch bark in leaf shapes. Gotta really think about this one. I'll post when I decide what and how I'm going to do it.
    I tell you I am a glutten for punishment! Oh well still to cold here to do much else....

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz