Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

how to epoxy...long post...

ladyronnie
17 years ago

but hopefully informative!

Several people have asked in my "bathroom vanity" thread how I epoxied the surface. It was way simpler than I thought it might be (and than this might make it sound!) This was the first thing I've ever epoxied, so I'm glad I didn't mess it up (much)!

I used a product called EnviroTex Lite, that someone on here recommended, and I found at a local hardware store. It can also be ordered online. There may be other brands, but I would recommend this one because I know it dries perfectly clear.

It is a two part product, a resin and a hardener. You mix one part hardener into one part resin. You whip it kind of like hand mixing cake batter, and what they don't tell you on the insert is that it will produce tiny bubbles that float into the air as you whip it. Not a problem. You mix it like this for two minutes, and it gets kind of frothy. You then pour it on your project, which really needs to be perfectly level. My vanity isn't, and I got a deep spot on one corner. You use a piece of stiff paper (or part of the instructions folded several times if you forget to have the "stiff paper" handy like I did!) to push the epoxy around on the project. Then, you breathe on it! Ok, that makes me chuckle just typing it, but it's true! Tiny bubbles appear all over, and carbon dioxide makes them pop and disappear. So I probably spent 45 minutes (felt like it anyway) exhaling gently on it. I just kept doing it until I didn't see any more bubbles pop when I did it. Actually they are so tiny after a while that you just kind of see the surface "change" as you exhale on it. I wound up using a piece of pvc pipe to blow through to save my back, and I did get a little light headed. (The directions say you can also use a small torch somehow, but I don't have one.) I may have gone overboard too. I just REALLY didn't want any bubbles. And I wound up with them anyway where it got too thick.

About the masking tape. When I did the sides and front panel, I placed them laying flat on blocks of wood on a table protected with plastic. So the epoxy just ran off the sides, or I ran it off the sides with my "stiff paper". When it was dry, there were little bumps all around the backside where the epoxy had dried in hard drips. These came off really easily with a belt sander. (You don't just scrape them off though. It's hard as a rock when dry.) (Oh, and I made sure the blocks weren't close enough to the edge to get epoxied TO my project!)

I was getting to the masking tape...I did the countertop the first time just like I did the sides and front, except without the blocks, I just let it run right down the sides of the frame. (I did protect the floor!) After the sides and front were attached, I wanted to epoxy it again so I wouldn't have a seam all the way around where the top met the sides and front. And I didn't want drips down the sides and front. So I created a "form" all around the edge with masking tape, placing it so about half the tape was stuck to the vanity and the other half sticking up above it. Basically just ran a strip of tape from one side at the back all the way around the edge to the other side at the back. I DID find, because it wasn't level, that I had to reinforce the side and corner that the epoxy was running to, as the tape started to bend over from the pressure. I also made tape "trusses", placing strips of tape connected to the edge of the sink out to the tape on the edge of the vanity. (If that doesn't make sense, ask me to clarify it.) I thought I would have to SAND off the masking tape where it was in contact with the epoxy, but lo and behold, it peeled right off! Maybe it wouldn't a few days later, but it did the next afternoon.

With the leftover epoxy, I painted the backsplash so it would have the same shine and sealant property.

I had a couple runs where the epoxy escaped under the masking tape (gotta press it down REALLY well), but I caught them while they were still wet (read "extremely sticky"!) and was able to wash them off with alcohol (and lots of elbow grease). Once it's dry, they're permanent short of sanding, which turns it whitish. BUT if you have to sand like I will where it got too deep, you are supposed to be able to go back with another layer and make it clear again.

Ok, I think that pretty much tells it. I do love the result I got, extremely smooth, even brighter color except where it got too deep, glassy shiny. I'd recommend trying it on a smaller project first, probably less nerve wracking, though it really wasn't bad.

Veronica

Comments (11)

• shrty411
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, thanks for the great info. I'm going to save it. I don't have a project im mind yet, but I love the look

Maria

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're welcome :)

• texaswild
    17 years ago

No waaaay would I attempt that. Sounds like the perfect setup for me to screwup! You were very brave to tackle such a project, and brought it off like a pro. Thanks for the tutorial.

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

I was thinking the SAME thing Slow, that was very brave. I would have been terrified of ruining all that beautiful work. But not Ronnie - like a pro! thanks for the description on how to... maybe I'll try that one day on something unimportant lol

• diytrying
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great detailed instructions. You were really brave to try this on something I know you spent a long time on and was really pretty when you finished. Have been wanting to try this for a long time but didn't feel comfortable with the level of advice and instructions.

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

Hi, I just wanted to add my thanks. It's great that you took the time to write all this out for us! I also have been wanting to try this, so I'm going to print this out and save it! Thank you so much.

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

Has anyone used the epoxy outside on anything? I have been wanting to try the resin on a table but have been unsure what will happen.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Photos?

Are there any photos of this process or it's result?

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went to Envirotex Lite's website and found out that it is "not recommended for exterior use." I have not found a product in this evening's search that IS recommended, but will ask DH as he probably knows. I did find this elsewhere, just FYI:

Question
    What does the term "epoxy" mean? How does it apply to paint as opposed to glue or cement ?

Answer
    In general terms, an epoxy polymer is a tough plastic-like material made by reacting a compound with the expoxide group (R1-HC[O]CH-R2) with an amine, alcohol, organic acid, an unsaturated compound, etc. These are employed to make tough, chemical and water resistant adhesives, patching materials, insulating materials, auto finishes, and paints, especially for interior commercial and industrial wall and floor surfaces. Most epoxy patching compounds, adhesives, sealers and paints are prepared by combining two components on-site, just before application. Some epoxy materials are very high or 100% solids; some are two-component water-based acrylic-epoxy; and some are one-package water-based products. Two-component epoxy systems generally do not stand up and maintain color in exterior applications as well as two component urethane systems.

Looks like you'd need a urethane product, given the above.

I don't remember if I took pics of the process. I'll have a look and get back with you.

Veronica

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't take any photos of the process. But over the weekend I will do a little project and take pics of the steps and post it. Here is the best closeup I could find of what the epoxy looks like on the vanity. It is about a quarter inch thick in this corner, which was the thickest place because the vanity did not sit level (I didn't know that until the epoxy ran to this corner, didn't think to check that. "Note to self...check for level next time!")

{{gwi:2081216}}

I'll try to take a better closeup too. It really is very smooth. The backsplash is not so smooth because I just painted the epoxy on, but I like the effect. Very shiny but still textured. And more colorful than it looks. Oh, and the red corners don't really SCREAM red like that...And I still have to do the pedestal thing to cover those bare pipes...ah, so much to do!

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about the resin outside. I have never heard of two component urethane system. Where would I find out about that?
    I want to do some kind of sealer outside on a table so I won't have to worry about mold or having to reseal all the time.
    Ladyronnie--I love you pics-can't wait to see more and learn more from you.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida