Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I mosaic a store bought patio stone?

Posted by charmo (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 21:28

Hi guys! Can we mosaic an already made store bought regular patio stone? If so I guess we use thinset mortar as the adhesive but would I have to first do anything like maybe sealing the patio stone before putting the thinset?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I mosaic a store bought patio stone?

Charmo, Not real sure what U are talking about..show me a pic please????>>...sorry but I'm a real show me kinda girl. I need to see before my brain starts working. Is it resin?< stone, cement? what are we talking about??? I'll help if I can,,, Let us know, Cathy

o

Heck ya! Go for it!! I have done a few...soooo instant!!

Here is a link that might be useful: premade stone

o

I've also used the concrete steppers - w/no prep work except a good cleaning to get the concrete dust off. Have a ball - easy work, and yes - thinset mortar.

o

Thank you so much ladies. It's nice to know because I have a few of those behind my shed and was going to throw them out! Calamity, was that one you made? It's beautiful!
Cathy: What I meant was a cement sidewalk patio stone.
Thanks everyone!

o

I have mosaiced quite a few....I used silicone glue. I have more in my album but I don't know how to post multiple pics. Click on the link to see more.
From Mosaics

o

Shirley, WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your link with me. You make beautiful things! I noticed that you are Canadian, anywhere near Kingston, ON? I only wish! If you don't mind I copied some of those pics because it will give me some ideas on what I can mosaic. One last question though, could you tell me what you used as a base for those big mushrooms, both the top and bottom. They are wonderful and I would love to try that when I'm off this summer.
Thanks!
Monyque

o

Hi Monyque, I'm in B.C. but I grew up in Belleville. I still have family there. The mushrooms aren't really big, maybe they appear that way in the pic. The top is a glass bowl and the bottom is a bud vase, really easy and fun, in fact I should make some more!

o

Oh Squirrelly!! You have a few in there I don't think I've seen before!!! LOVE the cat window!!! And the light globe, and the shrooms!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Squirrelly Welcome Sign!!!

o

SQUIRRELLY: It's so nice to see you back again. I played your slide show. It's like going to a one-woman art show at a gallery. Your work is so beautifully worked - neat as can be. You're a persnickety mosaicist. Wish I could do that. Everything is just perfect.

o

Thanks you guys! I loved that sign Jane....so very thoughtful. Nothing much is new in my album except the cat window, I'll post a better pic. I fell into a bit of a mosaic rut and haven't done much or posted in awhile. It's funny you should say what you did Slowmedown, I am tired of being a persnickety mosaicist, wish I could do YOUR style. Ah...isn't that the way! One of these days I'm just going to glue things down without thinking and just see what happens. I want to learn how to "paint outside the lines"!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here