Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmo_gw

Can I mosaic a store bought patio stone?

charmo
15 years ago

Hi guys! Can we mosaic an already made store bought regular patio stone? If so I guess we use thinset mortar as the adhesive but would I have to first do anything like maybe sealing the patio stone before putting the thinset?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Charmo, Not real sure what U are talking about..show me a pic please????>>...sorry but I'm a real show me kinda girl. I need to see before my brain starts working. Is it resin?

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Heck ya! Go for it!! I have done a few...soooo instant!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I've also used the concrete steppers - w/no prep work except a good cleaning to get the concrete dust off. Have a ball - easy work, and yes - thinset mortar.

• charmo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much ladies. It's nice to know because I have a few of those behind my shed and was going to throw them out! Calamity, was that one you made? It's beautiful!
    Cathy: What I meant was a cement sidewalk patio stone.
    Thanks everyone!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I have mosaiced quite a few....I used silicone glue. I have more in my album but I don't know how to post multiple pics. Click on the link to see more.

From Mosaics

• charmo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirley, WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your link with me. You make beautiful things! I noticed that you are Canadian, anywhere near Kingston, ON? I only wish! If you don't mind I copied some of those pics because it will give me some ideas on what I can mosaic. One last question though, could you tell me what you used as a base for those big mushrooms, both the top and bottom. They are wonderful and I would love to try that when I'm off this summer.
    Thanks!
    Monyque

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Hi Monyque, I'm in B.C. but I grew up in Belleville. I still have family there. The mushrooms aren't really big, maybe they appear that way in the pic. The top is a glass bowl and the bottom is a bud vase, really easy and fun, in fact I should make some more!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh Squirrelly!! You have a few in there I don't think I've seen before!!! LOVE the cat window!!! And the light globe, and the shrooms!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    15 years ago

SQUIRRELLY: It's so nice to see you back again. I played your slide show. It's like going to a one-woman art show at a gallery. Your work is so beautifully worked - neat as can be. You're a persnickety mosaicist. Wish I could do that. Everything is just perfect.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Thanks you guys! I loved that sign Jane....so very thoughtful. Nothing much is new in my album except the cat window, I'll post a better pic. I fell into a bit of a mosaic rut and haven't done much or posted in awhile. It's funny you should say what you did Slowmedown, I am tired of being a persnickety mosaicist, wish I could do YOUR style. Ah...isn't that the way! One of these days I'm just going to glue things down without thinking and just see what happens. I want to learn how to "paint outside the lines"!!

Sponsored