Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Help Me With My Game ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 19:46

It's not exactly a game ... but I'd like everybody's input ........ I want to print this out at the end and hang it in my craft room . Finish this sentence ....

YOU KNOW YOU ARE ADDICTED TO MOSAICS WHEN ........

my reply :

When you drop someone's good dishes and you BEG to clean it up ~~

Next !!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ?

Dieting isn't hard cuz you don't want to stop glueing to eat.

o

1. You know more about the products and tools in Home Depot and
where they are located than your husband.

2. 99% of your shopping trips involve things having to do with mosaics and the other 1% is food.

3. You have a bandaid on more than one finger

o

Most people ask you if the silicone fumes bother you and you just giggle and keep mosaicing.

o

When you're eat in a nice restuarant and your Hubby tells you, "No you can't take the dishes home!"

This actually happened to me yesterday when my Hubby took me to Red Lobster for our belated Valentines dinner. They were using Beautiful bright multi-colored crockery!!

Kathy

o

When you go to set the table, and all the plates are gone.

Be Safe,

o
RE: You Game ?

When most of your furniture and clothing has silicone on it and it doesn't bother you.

o

Tasy- I LOVE those Red Lobster plates

Lets see, when
you look at ANY plate and try to figure how you'd break it

when every surface in you house looks like it needs
glass or broken dishes on it

when I hate to drive 10 min to the grocery store but think nothing of planning on a 1 hr drive to the glass store

Maria

o

I can't think of anything - I'm laughing too hard, sitting here in my silicone covered clothing. That stuff has fumes? funny I've never noticed.

o

instead of rose colored glasses your looking at a world streaked with glue waiting to be mosaicked.or,your dog doesn't eat as much since he's been mosaicked!!!!!!!!

o

OMG -- Too funny !!! Keep 'em coming !

o

1- when you have mosaic WIP projects throughout the house. (I have one on my coffe table in the living room, a birdbath in the family room and finished projects on a table in the family room - besides I have a glass shop in the shed.)

2- You'd rather shop for glass and dishes than food, clothes, and basic needs.

3 - When you can't sleep because all you can think of is your next project.

Let's make a book! This is good.

o
what fumes???

Well, those fumes do explain a lot around here.........

Maria

o
My new game

LOL -- I'm loving this !! ---- I've said before --you tell the sales clerk you don't have to wrap 'em safely - they are gonna be broken on purpose anyway .... !

o

"AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU REALIZE YOU NEVER HAD A SHOWER OR COMBED YOUR HAIR!"

"when you tell your DH==it's leftovers again"

"when you go shopping and realize you have your work pants on."

Love all of these!

o

I accidently broke a Fiesta coffee mug last night. My daughter (13) was at my mothers, I was telling her on the phone and replied "Dont make anthing with it, until I see it."
She loves our Fiesta, so much she buys it herself. I think she did not quite belive that i did not do it on purpose!

o

When you stay up all night because YOU JUST HAD TO SEE IT GROUTED!

When you look at every item at the thrift/auction/yard sale deciding whether an item can be mosaiked or broken.

When you stop lusting after jewelry to wear and only dream of glueing it to something.

When you order a mannequin.

when you have your Dh calling from Lowes to verify, if you wanted sanded or unsanded.

when caring for your family's needs is just something to get over with so you can go back to glueing.

when everytime your friend calls and asks what you're doing, you keep giving her the same answer, she even answers for you now... I'm glueing... you say in unison!

o

your hairdresser has to cut glass and glue out of your hair....your friends think you had to much to drink at the last party when you started covering someones bald head with broken china...little did they know!

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ? 2

when the only breaks you take are to snap a pic and upload it, to post a WIP at GW! and you can type, "what color grout?" with your eyes closed.

o

all of the above----cant wait for my day off so i can cut up glass..barb

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game -more

When you dream about you projects

When you watch TV and the props all seem like TBM possibilities

Maria

o

I Love the responses !!! I can't wait to print them out !!

Any more ?

o

when the voice of your crazy inner cat lady begins to make perfect sense...

o

If the only thing you break is a plate when your best friend says 'You're an uncontrollable crack addict, sniffing too much glue and buying too much alcohol.'

You have irresistible urges to leave or lurk by back doors of restaurants using expensive dinnerware.

The temptation of 'nudging' a table heavily laden with Bridal gifts has you climbing walls muttering something about mosaics-in-law.

When your surfing son suddenly figures why mom was so excited about 'those really great breakers'.
As he stares in wonder at his newly decorated board.

When the sales clerk at the local china store is always out on the side walk with Windex at the ready when she wasn't there a few minutes before when you drove into town.

o

When it's 10:30 at night and you've been uncapping the silicone for the last 1/2hr saying "This is the last piece!!!"

o

You walk into the spendy houseware's department.......and wonder what the discount would be if you dropped it!

Hazie

o

When the silicone fumes from one project cause your nose to run, you use your black grout-covered fingers from another project to wipe it.... then walk outside and have a nice long convo with the neighbor who is giving you weird side-glances all the while.

When you've finished cooking your hurridly-made grilled cheese sandwich, you reach for a plate, but discover you have no more clean plates... so you grab one off of the stack of smasher plates. And you don't care that it's not washed until well after the fact.

o

Your nose thing MAD is too funny!!! Hubby and I were sanding our walls........new drywall...and the new neighbor came over......Hubby chatted with him for a while...and when he came back in I noticed his nostrils were full of white dust! the new neighbor told the other neighbors, we
may have a COKE problem!!! it infuriated me! so they are not our friends...and we feel we have to prove to the old neighbors we are not drug addicts!.....doesn't help that I'm up late working in my studio at all hours!!hahah
Just one of those things!!

Hazie

o

Coke problem? LOL... oh man, that's not good. Well, at least the old neighbors were friends enough to tell you what they said, but still.

o

Oh, I forgot one - along w/the "can't sleep for thinking up next project".

When you're sitting in church disecting people's faces thinking "that would be an easy shape to cut".

And talk about the dirty, grout/adhesive covered work clothes, AND BLACK UNDER THE NAILS. Oh, man - not a pretty sight.

o

Oh Hazie that happened to my hub and I also,
We were building our house and were sanding and took a break
some one brought powder donuts from Dunkins and here were are with dust in our hair, it was up hubs nose, everywhere and I had chunks of Powder down my shirt from the donut
yeah we have a "crack" problem, some one finally pointed out what we looked like Laughingly!!
W Went to the grange hall in town yesterday and they have Vintage plates , alot of pinks with little flowers and I so wanted to "drop" a few!!

o

...when your loved ones plan a "mosaic intervention"

....when the best way to make you lose it is to hide your tools...

....being told by your DH..ya know were gonna have to put you on "MOSAIC" restriction...

...trying to pay your boss to lay you off so you have "more time" to mosaic!!

...when you hear of someone breaking an entering on the news you wonder if they put good alarms at the glass store/2nd hand store!

...you start calling neighbors looking for "usable" household items and dishes to donate to your "cause"

...you wonder how long your family would stop talking to you if you broke ALL the family china that was handed down for generations!!

o

......When you 'accidently' break a family heirloom on purpose (it was just a coffee cup and I have another like it, Im only waiting for that one to break)

......when your DH has to bribe you w/a trip to the glass store just to get you to stop gluing and take a shower.

......when you get excited at the sound of crashing glass at the resteraunt.

......when your six year old finds a broken beer bottle in the park and begs DH to take it home to mom.

.......when your b/f skips calling you for coffee cause she knows what your up to.

o

LOL!

I have red glassware handed down, I'm gonna have to wait for my mom to pass away before I can use it!

my 5 year old brings me pieces of glass from the playground too!

o

1. When your husband goes out and buys a set of glasses and tells you they are NOT to be used by you because of all the adhesive stuck on the old ones.

2. Assuring even strangers that the black under your nails isn't dirt, but grout....somehow that seems like it would be more socially acceptable in your own mind.

3. You come home from work and your drive way is lined with bowling balls from complete strangers...by your door is boxes of broken dishes, junk jewelry, etc. left by friends.

4. You walk everywhere with your head down thinking you might find a "treasure" to pick up to use for mosaicing...parking lots especially!

5. Buying grout and junk is more important than perfume and lipstick! (and that's a biggie for me)

o

When you nearly hyperventilate when you find a great sale on your favorite grout. (Or any grout!);.)

When your DD just says "Mom, I really love you...but you are very strange." when you share your excitement over your latest "find"!

When the people at the local Thrift Shops are starting to know you by name, and wonder just what you DO with all those dishes???

o

You ask the clerk "how much for a broken plate" and she says "Now, you don't REALLY want that do you?"
(this really happened to me)

o

I love this...I can relate to everyone!!

...when you warn your husband if he goes barefoot around the mosaic area, its at his own risk!

...when your piles of plates get so high that you have to periodically go thru them to remember what you have and find the perfect plate to finish a project on the bottom!

...when you realize everything in your house and garden would look better mosaicked and start doing it!

...when you can always find another time to do housework but theres never enough time to mosaic!!

o

this is so scary, because every dang one of these is SO TRUE! LOL

o

Great thread, and you guys are all so funny. Must be all the glue fumes. Maybe this is only funny to us, perhaps all the "regular" people wouldn't see the humor we do,lol.
Cindy

o

When someone else wipes your nose for you because you are up to your elbows in grout.

o

These responses are just great .... you guys have a great sense of humor !!! I laughed all the way through it !!!

My printer's going full steam ....
Thanks for the replies !

o

I have to add one more. Its kinda funny but also crazey and it happend today ....

......when you cry while looking at Skylab website. I seriously almost CRIED Dh laughed at me so hard and said "looks like youll be placing another order for glass then"

o

When your husband asks you when are you going to dust again.......When you tell your daughter" The next time I say that I am going out junking...tell me I have enough already.....

o

Their Motto: You break it, you buy it!

Our Motto: You buy it, you break it!

o

when today, I was in a ts and found the most beautiful set of dishes..the saucers were completely covered with print..the dishes were around the edges but they didn't accept debit cards..
so, after I left..I called to have them hold them (instead of having them hold them before I left)
they asked me to describe them...one of 3 sets there..
the really striking pretty ones..the blues, lavenders and the pale peachy color apples....
and she says they were being wrapped up as we were speaking..someone had just bought them!!!!!

I think I was more sad than when a family pet died.

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ?xx

dishes for the family dinners are piling up but
dishes to be broken, take priority.

o

Bump for jane

o

--When you keep a special pair of flip-flops by the door of your hobby room to prevent cuts on your bare feet
--when your DH tries to explain to the clerk what you are going to do with all those odd diahes
--when your DH starts picking up old beer and liquor bottles for you to break (he got me a great blue bottle)

o

When you've been mosaicing in your playroom in the basement, and as you go up the stairs to refresh the cup of coffee, you hear the cat behind you making a clicking sound as she's following you...

o

You guys have such a great sense of humor ... I'm dying laughing at every reply !! ( and can certainly relate )
Keep it going - this might make a good "book" ! LOL

o

The clicking cat! HEEEEE HEEEEEEE !!! I can totally see that!

o

You're in Lowes and your husband asks what you're looking for and you say "That adhesive/grout stuff that Slow uses" and he says "who???"

o

When you have that gritty feeling between your teeth.

When your hubby asks "what's for dinner?" You say, "nothing."

When your hubby runs to Lowes to get your more grout. When asked why he is so nice about it, he replies, "I like watching you smile while you work."

My rule #5432: Never work after dark. I know I am addicted to mosaics when I can't wait for, and anticipate what I will do when, it is morning.

When my mosaic is equal to that which was magneted to the fridge, when I was 5.

Jynja

o

When you see the Terminix truck with the bug on top, and think "MAN! I would love to have one of those to mosaic!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Terminix Truck for Referance

o

BAMA - that made me cackle OUT LOUD! When you can work eight to 10 hrs. in the workshop mosaicing but only two hrs. doing housework. Totally relate to JYNJA dreaming about morning time and the next phase or project.

o

*Most women's husbands dread them going to the mall, my husband dreads me going to Lowe's, thrift stores and the tile warehouse my friend has (he let's me sift through all the leftovers from jobs he does).

*When you look forward to doing laundry cause it gives a legitimate reason for going into the basement, to work on mosaics in between loads.

o

When you pout till you get your tile saw....you already have a total stash of plates, glass, 1/2 marbles,to do 300 projects!...but you obsess with getting that @#$% saw!!!

o

You know you're addicted when you don't have dust bunnies, you have FRIT (those eensy weensy glass pieces that build up like dust bunnies).

o

Good one Wench!!! Hee Hee!!!

o

You know you're addicted when you keep asking your Doctor to break her beautiful coffee mug and matching saucer instead of telling her why you have come to consult with her.
BTW On Mosaic addicts Yahoo Group someone came up with an alternative for WIP's
Call the PHd's instead. (Project half done)
You can say that you are working on a couple of PHd's (sounds sooooooooooo intelligent and academic eh??)
Cheers Beth

o

yep yep, I'm doing PHDs from now on! Thanks Beth

o

Love that!!
PHd!!

Maria

o

Yes, I graduated with my Master's from the school of Hard Knocks and now I'm working on my PHd!!!

o

clicking cat and PHD....OMG!....
I thought I would fall out of this broken chair...lol

my poor 3 year old grandson is here, next to me..asking what's so funny!!!
he keeps saying..."gramma..I'm hungry"

ok, just a second...just one more to read!

bad..this is so bad!...lol

Becky .(*_*).

and I know the printer is low on ink but just gotta print these out..

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ? ???

Skylab website?
what's that about....
when I typed in skylab dot com, I got a nude site....
huh?..lol

Becky

o

these are great

*when you stop at a vacant lot with a bag in hand (keep some at the ready) because you THOUGHT you saw a smashed mirror there..good find!
Debbie

o

SEA: Skylab is what Laurel Skye calls her studio, I believe. Google Laurel Skye mosaics. No time to give you a link right now.

o

bump for all the recent newbies, got any to add?
I'm still giggling about the clicking cat!

o

It's 2AM....DH hears you murmuring "yes, yes, oh, you're perfect!" and realizes you're at the computer searching for glass!

Pat

o

mmmmmmmmmm, have you been in my house Curb? LOL

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ? 1

DD's yelling that she wants to get out of the tub and you yell back - that you'll wash her hair just as soon as you run out of thinset....

o

Clicking Cat!!! LOL!!!!

o

When people you work with bring you their broken stuff (vases, dishes, etc) because they know you will use for a project!

Ramona

o

I'm hoping we have a picture of the clicking cat;)

These are great, and even though I haven't smashed my first dish, I can imagine the feeling just from reading all the replies, they're great!

o

When your husband wonders if the only way to get your attention is for him to wear a glass/tile thong :-)

When you find yourself hurridly burning the last of the candle because your want the container it's in to mosaic (Circle E Candles are PERFECT for GOG - check them out!)

You may have a problem with mosaics when you begin coveting your neighbors un-mosiac'd stepping stones.

o

Icheer, I especially like #1! LOL

o

You seriously think of selling a kidney on ebay to pay for a mosaicing trip to Puerto Vallarta.

o

..you take the microscopic piece of glass out of your foot and glue it on your project,blood and all....

o

Oh, yuk, you two!!!

Newbie checking in:
When you work F/T and find any excuse (lunch, break, bank run) to stop at the new SA store down the street to check out what's new & exciting- and come away with a pile of SC dishes for a project that's just "on the list" but nowhere near being started yet.

o

NEWBIE here...I am laughing so hard I can hardly stand it!!!
You guys are TOO funny! This would make a GREAT book!
Being a newbie and wanting so desperately to get started I guess I could add....
You start knipping up your collection of glass blobs (cause you haven't been able to buy stained glass yet) and glueing them to little wooden objects you have had in your craft stash for years...just to make SOMETHING!

Here is a link that might be useful: my first

o

Hey! Those are neat! Are they baseball size? I want a paperweight!

o

When your DH not only has to prepare his own meals but also has to prepare yours too! And then demand that you quit playing and come to eat before it gets cold!

o

Yes, mmqchdygg...they are small 3-4' (?) baseball size styrofoam balls. I used the silicone to glue on and grouted...super easy and fun!

o

Hey livn, neat balls!! WELCOME!!
Someone here, I think it's chick is doing a bunch of them to display in a big glass jar.

o

Wow... I like the apples, too! Are they on a styrofoam base, also?
Katie

o
Can You Help Me With My Game ?

Thanks guys! :) They were fun, easy first time beginner projects.

mmqchdygg...they would make great paperweights.

This site is the most fun I've had in a long time! (pretty sad, huh?)

Thanks for the welcome!

o

Fiddlekate...THANKS! the apple is actually one piece of wood...an apple cutout...I did both sides...one red and the other side green. I didn't grout the apple...wasn't sure if I should...to grout or not to grout...:)
I so appreciate all of the nice comments on my humble beginnings...
CANT wait to do more!!! I'm hooked!
Went to the TS Saturday....oh boy!!!...now I just need to get the nerve up to start breaking and knipping things!
Such a newbie!

o

On a day out shopping with my girls, I promise our next stop is for groceries then we're home bound. Yet suddenly you're pulling off the road and telling them to sit tight for a sec.... while mommy goes back to the street to pick up all that beautiful mirror broken at the curb. (Oh yeah, I need to get that out the car!) LOL

o

Now that's what I call ingenuity, LIVN - Never would have thought of using half globs entirely on a piece. BEAUTIFUL. Oh, where was I - the game. Mosaicing addict - when you rush your family out the door and even though you say "come back soon", you know your lying cuz you hope they don't come back for a loooooooooooooooong time so you can get back to mosaicing.

o

When everytime you mention Jane Hell, you mean: Day 36 of Jane can't go to her fav thrift store cuz she can't get thru the aisles in her wheel chair!!!

o

Jane, do I need to send you some junk??

o

When you are walking down the street in your work clothes and you see a construction guy pulling up tiles in an entryway of a downtown building and ask if you can have them. Seriously, he gave me a bucketful!!!
Sheree

o

When you go to HD and because they have a sale on grout they are discontinuing for $1 a bag, you buy every bag they have, knowing you will not in your lifetime use 5 huge bags of mauve grout!!!

o

he he he , yep emtnest, you belong here, glad you found us LOL

MAria

o

Emtnest: YOU DEF ARE ONE OF US!!!!

o

When you realize you have been on the net for the last few hours reading old mosaic posts!!!!!!!!!!

o

Thought I'd have a giggle!!!! Bump

o

When you dash across the street with a dust pan and broom and sweep up crash glass from the neighbors broken shower door!

o
RE: Can You Help Me With My Game ?1

Without your teeth and in your jammies!

o

When during your remodel you build your new craft room in line-of-sight to the store, so you can play while you watch for customers to come in (and you built the laundry room cleeeeeaaar on the other side of the house! I just realized how fortuitous that was! : D)

o

It's that time again to Bump this!!!!lol!hee hee hee!!!!

o

IT LIVES!!!!! lol

o

You know you're a mosaicin' maniac when ......

Working on a project right up to the minute I had to leave, and then realizing OH NO I'm late, I grabbed my keys and dashed out the door to meet a best friend at Home Depot to help her pick out crown molding, not seeing her car (she's late also) I sit down on a bench outside the store to wait, and in passing, a little girl with her mommy hands me a dollar. I'm shocked and speechless...in a panic, I go back to my car, assess myself, and realize I too hadn't showered, brushed my hair (much less my teeth), was wearing my worst stained, siliconed, and ripped jeans and t-shirt, had BLACK stained HANDS and finger nails, AND to top it off, I had painted my laundry room that morning and some white paint must have dripped on the top of my head which, to a little girl, must have looked like bird doo doo...Im sure the little girl thought I was HOMELESS! I was mortified, determined I wasn't getting out of my car again except to go in to my house...I called my friend and told her I couldn't make it..sorry, something had came up. It was several weeks before I could tell her what REALLY happened. We laughed so hard I almost wet my pants....but I wasn't laughing when it happened.

Addiesue

o

you know you're a mosaicing maniac when...
i was meeting a friends mother for the first time and when she walked up she handed me a gift box, which i thought was a little strange, but i thanked her politely and apologized for not getting her anything. she started laughing and told me to open the box. inside was several broken plates and tiles. my friend was horrified that her mother had given me a "broken" gift, and started apologizing. she had forgotten that she told her mom i did mosaics. i thought it was like christmas.

o

Addiesue: This mosaicing addiction can get VERY costly...you'll be wanting all the "donations" you can get!lol!!! Now You've givin' me an idea......I have a Home Depot in my town....

o

... when all bad guys in a Mafia movie carry caulker guns!

o

When you listen to the scanner just so you can chase accidents with your broom and dustpan. (I know, that's bad)

o

When you have to start making mosaic sculptures for the gardens cuz all the walls are filled up w/mosaics. Hmmmmmm - now there is that fireplace still w/o a tile. Hmmmmmmmm.

o

Remember when I broke my leg and posted that picture of my cast and everybody took turns virtually "mosaicing" it?! That was sooo funny! I think a Mosaic tribute would be to mosaic a "clacking cat" to give to each other....like the frying pan mosaic exchange we did!ha!We could call it :Ode to Mosaicing

o

when the happiest day of your life is the Hobby Lobby grand opening in your area!!!!

o

Ohhh, now that is something!!!! Slow took me to Hobby Lobby and it RAWKED!!!!

o

OMG --- this post is still here !!!! I ROFL at all the replies - this was the best post -- ever :)
I remember how we laughed at your cast ,Jane - it was just soooo bare -You're lucky you weren't forcibly kidnapped and held down while a group of rogue crafters mosaiced it !!!! Nothing is safe . Even those clacking cats !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here