Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharp edges on table top -Advice needed

Posted by ch_glass (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 19:17

I have a friend that just finished mosaicing a table top with broken porcelain tile. It will be used outside. He was not real careful in making sure the tile pieces were level, has some very wide grout lines, used unsanded grout, and wiped too much out of the grout lines. Now...he wants to know what to do about the sharp edges that are exposed - there are plenty.

I had the following ideas: Pour some of that epoxy resin over the top. Regrout over existing grout with thinset (hoping that the adhesive properties of the thinset would adhere to the grout). Cover the top with plexiglass or plastic sheeting. He thinks putting a thick coat of polyurathane would work -- I think it would chip right off.

Feedback, anybody?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharp edges on table top -Advice needed

Resin may be his best bet. He could try going over it with sanded grout

o

regrout

o

I don't think there are any resins rated for outdoors. He could go over all the offending ahards with a dremel and smooth them off a bit but I agree with Shrty, he should go over it with sanded grout

o

In my beginning days mosaicing I used polyurethane, and it clouded. Don't recommend it, but NT is right, dremel or carborundum stone and/or re-grout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here