Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klinger_gw

finished backsplash

klinger
15 years ago

I guess I'm finally finished this backsplash. I may do a bit more work on the tree of life and make it a bit more 3-d. I want to do my bathrooms next too though. This isn't as over the top as my last one but I hadn't wanted that. It is all oceana glass, millefiore, beads, glass globs. I do love the oceana glass and bought more of it.

it's hard to get a good picture of it,

Cindy

Comments (36)

• gibsona
    15 years ago

OMG! That's gorgeous! Wish I could see it up close. .
    Great work!
    Ann

• shrty411
    15 years ago

The oceana glass ( I love that stuff!!) looks great with the regular brick. Nice rich color!!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

That glass is GORGEOUS! yep, its totally different style than your last one but both are tremendous artworks all the same!

• charmo
    15 years ago

I love it! Really nice looking. I love the colors you chose and pattern as well, right on!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Yup! I got to see it in person and it's soooo gorgeous!!! It sure is so different from her other kitchen, I can't tell which one I like more, as they are so excellent in their own ways.! Good Job!!! It's hard to see the whole kitchen in these pics but all the accents are there for this fine backsplash too!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

CINDY, CINDY, CINDY!!!! Now THAT's what I call a beautifully mosaiced backsplash. I liked the other one a LOT, but this is elegant. What a wonderful kitchen to work in. Love your red appliances too. My DD just bought a red Kitchenaid mixer. I'll look for her a red blender now to replace the one I gave her a couple yrs. ago. Good job, CINDY.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Wow! Cindy, I love it!! Now you've put your own personality in this house, I love that! Can't wait to see what you do next.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous! I love Oceana glass and wish I had a truckload of it. That is just stunning.

• rchovey
    15 years ago

I'll repeat what's already been said, "WOW"!! It looks fantastic. I wish I'd been more bold when I did my backsplash... just tile. This is so much more fun! Good job.

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I just got on the site for inspiration to get me back to work on my backsplash and WOW did you do the job!!! This is gorgeous. Wonderful use of color. I'm not familiar with Oceana Glass, but will look it up.

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! AMAZING RICH COLORS!....Wish I could see it in oerson...Great job!! You should be proud!! Cathy

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Ditto what they all said!!!!

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

Very beautiful, it fits so well, but its so colorful! wonderful job!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

I love what you did with your backsplash!
    It's beautiful! I like the colors... and how well they blend with the brick look background...yet bring an elegance to the wall. Just gorgeous!!!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Cindy this turned out wonderful. The colors are a perfect match to your kitchen. Great job.

Kathy

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh thanks everybody (blushing). The oceana glass is from an ebay seller. The colors are so pretty.
    Cindy

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a couple of close ups of the oceana glass. There's also dichroic gems, beads, glass globs, millefiore

{{!gwi}}
    Cindy

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

where is the oceana glass available still?
    I was told it's not available any longer, since the company quit making it...
    I got a box of it a couple of years ago and did find some on ebay this winter but that's when I was told it's out of production...

that is a spectacular kitchen and of course I'll be clipping it, to go along with your other kitchen...
    I adore both of them..

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Check this out...what say we ALL meet up there and have a shopping FRENZY!!!! hee hee!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Youghioheny Glass

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Klinger, did you do that on backerboard then attach? Or, did you do it right onto the wall? I love it and keep coming back to it for inspiration. I think something like that would go great with my cobalt blue counter tops. Also, what adhesive did you use?

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What great inspiration! I'll be back for the answers to emtnests questions.
    Great work.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Cindy, how did I miss this one?? It's beau ti ful!!! Just love all those colors and your oceana glass. I bought two 10lb boxes off Jennifer on ebay about a year ago. Strawberry, I think she still has some things you can just do a search for oceana glass and she'll pop up if she still has some.

Cindy just to die for backsplash, I am stuck with this 70's house with plain white tiles. it's killing me..

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Ditto with me Merm, but she's got me plotting and scheming!!! LOL! DH just hates a dirty kitchen, what would he do with no kitchen for a while?? My floor needs to be redone(UGLY tile) and the backsplash...which matches the ugly floor, and of course the countertop is pretty well had the bun....hmmm, I wonder if I could send him off for a few weeks...hmmm, maybe to go visit family...on the other side of the country!!!lol!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, yes the pieces are glued onto a thin backerboard. I used weldbond for the glue, then attached the pieces to the wall with construction adhesive. The slate tiles were a bit thick, the board and glass are the exact same depth so it worked out perfectly.Boy with cobalt blue counter tops some glass would look awesome, go for it.Here's a picture of my old back splash at my last home. Used a lot of dishes and tiles as well as the glass. Some of the larger panels got glued and screwed on the wall,

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Well here's the deal..I would love to do a backsplash... I just can't figure out if it should be more than cobalt blue, like all those luscious colors you have or should I stick to blues...or use the other colors in my drapes.. I have a photoshow to show you, it is kind of long and it wouldn't let me put out a pic or two for some reason. My daughter and I redid my kitchen floors and counter tops about a year ago... you'll see all the space I have to work with. I did paint it with just a slight hint of pink. Let me know what you think for backsplash...please...thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen countertop and floor

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, cool slide show. I LOVE those blue tiles you used on your counters.It looked like smaller glass tiles behind the microwave, what is there? I think I'd vote for the drape colors, you've got lots of blue already and your drapes have lots of good colors in them to use.
    Cindy

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Yes Klinger the ones behind microwave are smaller and have gold veins going through them.. Thanks for sharing your info. Just love your work.
    If this works for me here is a pic of them up close.
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/tile1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Love those blue tiles, EMT: Definitely I'd put the colors of your drapes into your backsplash - lots of orange or terra cotta, mixed w/blues. OR, anything goes, like in KLINGER's last backsplash. I LOVE that look. Remember - art doesn't have to match the drapes.

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions...I do have another couple of questions for you Klinger..where the electrical sockets are, are those easy to pull forward? No need for an electrician? And, any pro's or con's to the half cup on the wall? It's just so cool and I was able to half some with my tile saw. Thanks...Dottie

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, we just pulled the sockets and light covers forward with no problem. We are not electricians.No cons to the half cup, everybody who saw it thought it was very cool, so I'd encourage you to do it for sure.
    Cindy

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

The BIG WOW! You did a beautiful job Cindy!!!! I really love it.............!!!!!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

OK Klinger/Cindy... you have inspired me and I just can't put it off. Went to HD and got the 1/4" backerboard and will start it this week!!!! See what you guys do...get me all excited once again about something that I almost forgot about doing...it's supposed to be raining all week so it will be a great thing to do inside...thank you so much for your inspiration...

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WhooHoo!!! You have already done such an Excellent job on your counters!!! And WOW, to do it with your daughter!!! BONUS!!! Lovely job! I can hardly wait to see the backsplsh now, I SURE it will turn out as perfect as the countertops!!! Love the slide show and music!! Even that's beyond my patience/talent!!! Jane

• meadel
    15 years ago

Oh, Klinger !! This is just fantastic ! My eyes would just go blind staring at this all day long.
    I love Oceana too, I got the box of dirty scraps off ebay too, then when I went to Youghiogheny I saw them making it. Oh la la. That is a great place to shop. Got all of this for $42.00 there are a few full sheets of Oceana there..

Anywho.. I just love love love the backsplash !!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Klinger I have another question...I'm thinking this one is gonna sound kind of dumb... but...you did grout AFTER you attached to the wall didn't you? Just want to make sure..thinking it might be a little bendy and wreck it if I tried to do it before.. thanks for all your help.
    I love those pieces of glass Meadel got!!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, yes I did grout afterward. I used tough as nails construction adhesive to adhere the panels, then grouted the whole bit later. I also put some sealer on so there wouldn't end up being any stains on the grout.
    Cindy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA