Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siriusmosaics

Web WIP

siriusmosaics
16 years ago

Kinda weird I know but this is something I found on the internet. Scientists gave spiders different drugs to see what type of web they would make. I picked "Chloral Hydrate" because of the web pattern. Trying to go with what colors you would see in the background outside. I painted the wood because some of the glass is sort of transparent.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (48)

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

OH my... that is AMAZING! You are so creative!
    Love what you're doing with the beads. (They are beads, right?) Will there be a spider? Or will he have gone on to another web? Looking forward to more pics!
    K.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, inspiration can be anywhere for sure!! Looking forward to watching this one. the colors are beautiful!!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

This looks interesting, and flowing. Reminds me of a spectrum.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Boy, to have your creative skills to look at something and then see something in art form.............and then do something!!!! Will be looking forward to seeing this take shape..........so far, so awesome!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

How FREAKING cool is THAT! OMG! you RAWK!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

That really is too cool!!!!

I tried to do a web on a stepping stone last summer...it had a painful death unfortunately when I threw it into the junk pile!!! If it looked as good as yours maybe it would've lived longer..

The bead idea for the web is really a spectacular idea!!!!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I can't say enough about your talent,you are a real artist.your work is outstanding.Do you do show's and sell your piece's or is it in gallerys.Your have an amazing talent and your beautiful to boot!Are you stringing these bleads also?You said you grouted over them on the circles but doewn't it get inbetween the beads?

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

You rock, that is way cool. I wish i was as talented as that. Can't wait to see this done.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Who knew? Spiders on drugs!! I heard someone got $100,000 to study the sex habits of worms!I like the glass you're using and the beads are a super neat idea too! Jane

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Oh, so this is how a real artist mind works!!
    WOW oh WOW! I am in awe of your ability to create art out of ...well, anything! This is looking soooo good, gonna be fun to watch progress...LOVE the colors!

• siriusmosaics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone - I wasn't too sure about showing this one - I thought it might be too strange for people.

Annie: I haven't sold a thing I've made - I think I have low self esteem in that area and haven't really tried. Really don't know how to sell anything. The beads I string then glue down. When grouting, the grout really doesn't go between them, it cleans off fine. I wanted the beads to be the web instead of grout. Just wish I had some pearly type beads to make it look like a web glistening with dew.

Fiddlekate: I am going to try removing a spider I have on a pinky ring if I can cut the metal. I've had that ring for over 30 years - You never know when something will be used.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Your beads look iridescent?They have some at Hobby Lobby,glass iridescent that would be pretty for a web also,next one tho ,this one looks great.You sound like me I have very low self esteem when it comes to my pieces to.Buy you should not Sirius your too Good!!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Very neat project sirius! I like how you get your inspiration pictures and convert them into a piece of art.

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Spiders on drugs. I love the pattern they made.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

I am scared of spiders so I was afraid to open this thread. I put on my big girl panties and I'm glad I did. This is quite interesting, and I like the idea of pre-painting the entire background.

It's too bad you don't see the value in your work like we do. I should talk - hello, Kettle. My name is Pot. I always fret in advance about gifts I make. Is it nice enough? Will they like it? I'm always relieved when they genuinely seem to like it.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I have aracknaphobia big time ,I want miss anything you do,hopefully there's no ugly spider going on it LOL!I know I misspelled this but spell check didn't fix it either ,you know what I mean.

• meadel
    16 years ago

That is really cool! I really really love it! Being the dtr of a photographer I have grown up looking for webs for my Dad to photograph! He would love this too!

Is this the video you saw? {{!gwi}}
    I have it saved and it just cracks me up every time I watch it.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    great VIDEO!!!!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh,I tried to watch it and couldn't .I felt crawling things on me and will probably have nightmares..I'm serious..I can't take spiders..

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OMG! LMAO!!! I really got sucked in, thinking I was watching a real nature video!lol! Oh, I cannot show this to DD, she'll REALLY wonder about the GW Gals!!! heh heh!!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

ROFL thanks for that Meadel! LOL

• siriusmosaics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After a long week of trying to complete this project, I am finally ready to grout. I was really distracted this week, so I just kind of whipped it together to get it done. Here is the pregrout picture, Monday is grout day and will post the final.

{{!gwi}}

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

It looks wonderful! I like your color choices.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

the colors are luscious

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

How beautiful!
    Bianchi

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Sirius that is awesome!

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

That is a wonderful piece, and really shows off the glass as well as being a neat design.

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Oh i love that colors of it all. Can't wait to see it grouted also.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Some really nice glass in that piece, and you've done a superb job of cutting the pieces to fit the spaces. Color combo is just great. You and BAMA have the same knack for putting them together so well. This doesn't even need grouting to be beautiful, but I'm sure the grout w/improve it. I'll just bet you're holding out on a surprise spider that you'll plunk on there when finished. ????? Right?????

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I love the whole look of it, the colors are wonderful!!

• meadel
    16 years ago

It is truly amazing. A wonderful tribute to Mother Nature.
    ( looks like some Oceana glass in there)

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL colors!! Your web is AWESOME! Wish I could cut that good. I like how great your pieces fit together so when you grout the web is the focus, not the grout lines. Great Job!!

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

if I hadn't just bought a cluster of oceana glass, I wouldn't have known what it is but now I can also say it's a beautiful work of art...
    and what was the motivation for this?
    was it that video...lol
    what a riot..I forwarded it to several friends.
    trouble is, they will recognize themselves in the video!

.(*_*).

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I love oceana glass and this is a perfect pc for it!!! Great job and as everyone says, it's gorgeous now, can't wait fot the grout!!

• siriusmosaics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone. I got a bunch of scrap Oceana and thought with some of it being transparent it would be good on this piece. Just wish I would have done it on glass now, so the colors would show better. I haven't decided if I am going to place a spider on this or not. Since I really detest spiders, I'll probably put this on Etsy or Ebay and see if someone would like to buy it.

{{!gwi}}

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I know...why don't you contact Dr. Witt and see if he's interested in hanging it in his laboratory??? (serious, sirius)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - what a difference the grout makes. That is absolutely mind bogglingly beautiful.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Bautiful Sirius,love the glass nad your placement looks like a watercolor only prettier..Beautiful,I agree no spider,let us know so we can watch etsy or e-bay.It's beutiful.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful Sirius,love the glass and your placement looks like a watercolor only prettier..Beautiful,I agree no spider,let us know so we can watch etsy or e-bay.It's beautiful.

• meadel
    16 years ago

I seriously didn't think it COULD look better !! Beautiful work of art!
    You spun a masterpiece!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Beautiful....you've got a great imagination......love the colors.......the grout is perfect..........!!!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Wow, it turned out so beautiful. I just love that glass you used. I bought a bunch of scrap oceana from ebay, still haven't used any yet. Now you've got me inspired yours turned out so gorgeous. The grout was truly the finishing touch,
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

• siriusmosaics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

Klinger - that's where I got the glass from - ebay. Was your's filthy and had to be washed before use?

• meadel
    16 years ago

Ha.. I got mine on Ebay too and it was horribly dirty ( but they did say that so I was expecting that) My dh looked at me when I had a sink-full and just shook his head! I used some of mine in the fish vase /gift exchange! I have been saving it for something special.. I just kept seeing fish in it though~~ Now I can see beyond .

• LinLee
    16 years ago

I agree with MM...at the very least email a picture of
    it to the Dr.
    It's truly beautiful :)

• klinger
    16 years ago

Ha, yes mine was very dirty. It was kind of fun washing it and seeing the real beauty emerge from under the grime. My dh was also amazed I would actually order dirty scrap anything hehe.I sorted all my colors out into jars, and there's some beautiful pieces. I think I got 20 pounds. I'd love to do my glass topped patio table with it after seeing your gorgeous project.
    Cindy

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Like Annie said, this looks like watercolor. This is just so awesome despite the subject matter!

Annie, you are braver than I am. I couldn't even click on the video. I just scrolled down real fast until the picture wasn't on my screen any more.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH