Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

cacbeary
16 years ago

I was playing around on the Beetle Bits system today. I've only used it twice since I got it because I had to use the kitchen table to use it. I just made a permanent work space & I've been playing today.

Slow - this pics for you. I took 2 pics & spliced together. Check out all the shapes I made.

Now I practiced with some van faux tiles. The pink & purple I used those paints you bake on - works terrific.

The gold though I spray painted on & it sure scratched. And when breaking up the tile the paint really messed up. I wished I thought of practicing with this whole sheet when I started.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Isnt the beetle thingie fun? I got one for Christmas, have mostly played around with it, since I dont have a separate table for it either.
    Anyway, its amazing, so easy.
    Bianchi

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have the Cutter's Mate now too. I have to learn to score with it. It's easy too. The cutting head swivels too & it's a Toyo. The arm is weighted so you don't have to press down hard when scoring. Running the glass I need to practice on. I put pics of everything on the page I made from another post where you can see the Cutter's mate. It is another cool tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: BB system & Cutter's Mate

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Ooh, I've had my eye on the Cutters Mate too. Well, there is always a birthday coming up.
    Bianchi

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Oh you are playing and having fun and learning. Those are cool.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Well now, you've inspired me to clean off the dining room table and set the BB system up and do some playing.
    Your diamonds look good and I really like that purply-pink van faux!

• glassgunner
    16 years ago

Cindiloo:

Just so you know. I party with people just like you.

And I have a darn good time !

Your friend,
    Ray

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bianchi - Those diamonds are 3/8" diamonds. Set your compass to the 60 degree angle mark with the tadpoles on each side so you have a 60 degree angle to the left and 60 degree angle to the right.
    Do not use a full sheet of glass but rather a 4 " by 6" piece. Just make a score at one end and keep moving the glass at 3/8" increments.
    Then swing the straight edge to the other 60 degree side. Start at the end and move the piece of glass in 3/8" increments as you score each line. Try a piece of glass & see how easy it is.
    Now that I have a permanent set up every time I have a half hour I'm playing. It keeps calling me, LOL!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW!!! I'm sooo jealous! I'm into 3/8's stuff right now, well, a wanna be!lol! Klinger and I went out and she scored a morton cutting system for $40 today!!! Hmmm, may have to see about these two systems, I don't know if Beetle bits are sold here in BC. And I'm also going to look into this baked paint thing, I just scored some REALLY coolglass today and some of it is a type of frosted glass I've never seen before, this guy was selling crates of glass from moving from Ontario to Victoria and had all this Awesome handblon glass, just stuff I've never seen for sale here and at prices that I couldn't even buy wholesale!!! I spent $120..I"M BAD!!! I've spent over $300 in the last month on glass and tile, and here I'm going to Mexico to play with the girls..I'll be sitting there watching all of them shop!!! But I got handblown orange glass!! Yippeee!!! This guy today swears by the morton system!Ya know the kind of people who have 1200 pc lamps(plural) in there house with $800-$1200 lampbases under them!!! Oh and he had a Peacock in his window with handblown purples in it!WOW!!! GORGEOUS!!!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Thank you, Cacbeary. Tonight I moved another table into the guest room, so I can set up the Beetle B. permanently. You inspired me.
    Bianchi

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

Oh I love the diamonds. I am still hoping to get a beetle bits someday, even though I don't have a worktable to put it on.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Wow....I wanna play too!!!I never figured the morton out...sure wish Ray lived close to me..so I could learn the Beetle easy..I don't read directions good..i learn hands on LOL!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crackpot - You could work his system with half your brain tied behind your back. MosaicWench just bought one & was doing diamonds before I had a chance to try it out giggling the whole time.

Bianchi - WoooHooo! Have fun!Can't wait to see your work.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Not only is it sold in Canada, BUT it is sold at my FAV store!!!! Ohhhhh, I'M IN TROUBLE!!!!!!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calamity - You better be good in Mexico. LOL!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Now I want the beetle bits AND the circle cutter!!! Maybe I can live off free natchos while in Mexico!!heh heh!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calamity - Please take good notes. I want to make my MIL a lighthouse for her front yard & I'll be asking lots of advice if your don't mind. Have fun!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope you don't get tired of hearing what I've been doing with the BB system.

Follow the link above & see some triangles I made doing it different ways. This is way too much fun.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

THERE"S A KILN TOO!!!!???? WAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't even go there Calamity. Could you imagine what your glass bill would be every month?????? LOLOLOL! And I want to do the polymer clay thing too. I never had a big list of wants & now I want tools, glass, it never ends. I think this is starting to take over in my life a little bit too much.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, CAC: You've made me think of ordering yet another tool when I get back from Mexico. Love the idea of a simpler technique for cutting those shapes accurately on the sheet b/f breaking individually. Never have mastered it w/the Morton to the accuracy I'd love. And, the circle cutter. Oh, good grief and a kiln??? I LOVE tools.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Cac: I am broke and need your help till I can buy a beetle system. Can you give me the low down on that cutting board your first instructor made for the glastar?PLEASE!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calamity - I took pics & have this on previous post below. Someone else had made one & gave instructions for it on another post but I can't find it.

Mine I bought from the stained glass store. One of the students was a cabinet maker & sold them. Anyhow, this link explains it.

Slow - there are all kinds of cutting tools. You can keep adding on - oh my, how addicting. So good to see you reading the forum. You must be feeling a bit better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glastar

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Oh how I wish I'd seen this system BEFORE I bought the Morton, it looks so much easier. The Morton was expensive and I still haven't taken the time to study the directions for making diamonds and other shapes. I want a Cutters Mate TOOOOOOOO! Got a tax refund coming, I want new tools. Thanks for all your info, it's soooo helpful.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrellycanadian - The BB system has just come out in Sept but it sure is a hit with me. I don't have the Morton to compare it to. I do have the Glastar & it took over an hour to score a sheet into squares & then the wheeled nippers for the triangles. And I loved my Glastar. This is such a time saver & it is fast & easy.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES