Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I seal this?

Posted by oldcrafty (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 17:19

I posted this in the garden junk forum asking for opinions about the color I painted the base. Both pieces I obtained while junking and they seemed to go together for a nice mushroom for my garden. Almost all responses came back that I should not place the stained glass part in the outdoors. It was formerly a hanging light fixture, that I removed all the light parts from.It is extremely pretty but I have no place for it in my house as it is 21 1/2 " across at bottom. Is there anything that I can seal it with to help protect it from the elements? I don't want to get rid of it as I love it but not sure I want it to ruin either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I seal this?

what is supposed to happen to it if it were outside? it would oxidize on the metal but why can't it be outside otherwise?

o

Man, I love that lamp. I could find a wonderful place in my Bohemian-style house for it. Re the sealing, how about the resin that some artist use to seal their glass mosaics. Don't know how difficult it w/be for that shape, but that just comes to mind. LOVE that lamp. Waaaaah - wish you'd have offered it for sale.

o

I would do it. It'll be an interesting experiment. I don't see why you couldn't seal it, perhaps with a spray.

o

Oh my lord I love the colors. The only thing I can imagine it would hurt would be the leading, over time. I would see about sealing the leading with beeswax or something maybe. Its fabulous. Nail it down so someone doesnt steal it!

o

If you seal it the moisture will seep unter the copper foil and the adhesive will let go of the glass sooner. This was made with the copper foil method or tiffany method. The heat from the sun will do the same thing after awhile. I've repaired alot of suncatchers that have come apart in time. Hope this helps. Sally

o

that explains it, thanks Ohtobedone

o

Thanks Otobedone.... makes sense. Guess I will just have to try and make a covered area or just enjoy it for however long it lasts

o

Or you could send it to me to put inside my crazy house. LOL.

o

Slow I know it would fit perfectly in your house! I am at this time having second thoughts on putting it outside. It would be a shame to have such a lovely piece fall apart after a short time of being "abused". The question... What should I do? keeps popping into my head!

o

Put it back together as a lamp and set that beauty on a mosaiced pedestal all by itself. Betcha if you look around your house, you can find a little corner. I'm soooooo glad you're not putting it outside. It's a real beauty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here