Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxglove44

Butterfly

foxglove44
16 years ago

I've been working on this for about a week. We've had lots of snow!!

I covered the butterfly form with foil. I adhered it with Weldbond. Just thought I'd try something different!

Betsy

Comments (15)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Neat! Are you still planning on grouting?

• foxglove44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yes! The bottom half isn't done yet. I just have some glass laying out with an idea of where I will go with it.
    I have no clue what color grout. I love how everything looks with black grout!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

That's looking really pretty!
    I am confused about the foil...did you wrap it in foil to help it adhere?
    I really like the silver background with what you have laid out...could you make grout look like that?

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

That is so Spring like. I love all the colors and the layout.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

VERY pretty! Love the colors!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Cool,never used the foil..can't wait to see it done.

• foxglove44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know what I could do to make the grout look like metal!
    Didn't someone do a "grout" with beads? That's an idea.
    Why the foil? I simply did not like how the wood looked under the stained glass I was using and I was using what I had on hand. I didn't want to buy anything new. I also didn't feel like painting the wood. I think I read somewhere that someone covered something with tin foil to give Styrofoam a more durable surface to mosaic on. So .. I thought..well, that would look cool under the stained glass!
    I like to experiment with art. It's great to be surprised by the outcome.. good or bad! LOL
    Betsy

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Oh, now I see....and I bet the shiny foil really makes the stained glass sparkle! Looking forward to seeing what color and if or with what you grout with!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I use foil under stained glas and the half marbles ,I love the extra sparke you get, plus it hides flaws in the substrate without painting.

Your butterfly is wonderful. You could give your grout a "wash" with some sort of metallic paint,maybe??

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

Beautiful butterfly! How about adding glitter to gray grout?

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

I like the foil idea. And the butterfly is beautiful.
    Bianchi

• foxglove44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Butterfly is ready for grout.
    I have no idea what color grout! I am thinking maybe doing beads. I've seen a few projects with them. Any How to Tips?
    Betsy

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

Really turned out pretty. I wouldn't do beads - your grout lines are too big - would take a lot of beads to grout, but If you want to, I would lay down either mogpoge, can't spell weldbond, something that will turn clear with the beads. Otherwise, I would grout black to make those colors sing!

• foxglove44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes! I want to glue the beads not grout them. If I dont do that I will grout in black.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Black or charcoal w/be PERFECT for this piece. It is a WONDERFUL butterfly - great job. Re the foil - there are candy wrappers in gold foil I've used before - works well w/modge podge. Anxious to see this grouted.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths