Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Folk Art With Crosses - WIP

texaswild
15 years ago

Took an old Habitat/Humanity blue cabinet door, found some scrap wood in garage, and put together the substrate. Gonna try to keep it simpler, and fill in now w/red glass for the rest. The bottom left cross was clear glass and I put gold leaf on back - doesn't show in picture. Can't see the top details but the gold round thingies on each tower are earrings. The blue blown glass heart top center is from PV and was part of a gift box from Cindy/Jane. It's surrounded by small red glass hearts. Large cross (and one not shown) is a thoughtful and generous gift from a forum member. Hope you don't mind, Ann, that I spray painted it gold and brushed it w/black (oil) and wiped the black off, leaving sorta a copper tone. Round mirrors across the center bar under the large cross. Dominoes down bottom center w/metal beads down them. Thank you, ladies, for your thoughtfulness in gifting me w/such treasures.

Folk Art w/Crosses

Comments (29)

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Very cool looking so far! wish I could see the gold parts on top better... next pics can ya zero in? lol

Where is Annie anyway? haven't see her post anywhere in ages, hope she's okay

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

You have such a way with substrates slow, I love the shape! Not to mention all the crosses. Its gonna be a beaut!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Beautiful.
    Keep us posted.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Dang! I realy need to send those cross to you (I have been in such a stuper )Will soon .
    That looks great.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. NT - the gift was from Ann Gibson - Gibsona. Haven't heard from CRACKPOT ANNIE in a very long time. Hope she'll come back to us. Here's the progress I made this afternoon. LOL NANA - guess I'm known as the "cross lady".
    Crosses Update

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is going to be another gorgeous piece.

• gibsona
    15 years ago

Mind? Why would I mind? It's gorgeous; just as I knew it would be! Amazed how quickly things come together for you. Can't wait for update.
    Ann

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Wowee, girl. I hadn't seen your photo site since I left in December and it's obvious you've been on the move like always. Great pieces too! They have that special Slo touch! Is the second piece I see the piece I saw started in Vallarta? You're right! I never would have recognized it. So much color and fun! It's wonderful....but I knew it WOULD be!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Slow, in an earlier post you mentioned that your teacher in PV uses Vitricco. I tried running that on a search but didn't come up with anything. Do you have a link?

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Good to see you posting again Daisey! Are you back now?
    Slow, Your Cross Masterpcs are always Eye Candy!!!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Gorgeous , Slow, just beautiful. I love the shape and all the crosses. Really reminds me of the Mexico visits,
    Cindy

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Nice Slow.. so many different items... makes it interesting.

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Slow your work is so amazing!!! Your are a true artist and I so enjoying seeing your work, Cathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well how nice to have my first cup of coffee w/friends like y'all. I bow in thanks. DAISEY - yes - the second piece is the workshop memory piece. The teacher wanted us to order the tiles through her. She gets them wholesale, but don't know from where. As long as you get the Italian vitreous glass, I don't think it matters what brand. The ones I bought were the Chinese-made ones, and they shatter. KLINGER - w/every visit to Mexico, I come home inspired by their wonderful folk art. Thanks, y'all, for making my morning sweet. Was gone all day yesterday, so hopefully can finish gluing today and grout tomorrow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got red? Gluing done - grout tomorrow.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

its GORGEOUS! I LOVE the top round portion the mostest!

sorry to Gibsonna - forgot you were an Ann too! (redfaced)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

That RED is Super!!! Hubba Hubba!!!

• suziqhew
    15 years ago

My goodness, Slo....do you sleep?

Lovely work and I love how that brownish/copper colored glass looks like wood in the photos.

You are amazing, truly amazing.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

'morning, y'all. Thanks again. SUZI: If you're talking about the circles across the middle, under the large cross, those are mirror rounds.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Ooooo....Ahhhh.....I get lost looking through your album!
    Nobody does mexican folk art like you...you are one talented lady that's for sure!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been grouting on this sucker for two hrs., and had to stop for lunch and a rest. I think this is the worst grouting nightmare I've done except "In Her Cups". Next time I get a bright idea, I'm gonna think ahead to grouting. Hope to finish in about another hr. GEESH - HORRIBLY tedious.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soooooooooo glad to finish the cleanup. WHAT A PAIN. Appreciate all y'all's compliments. I sorta like it too. Think I'll keep this one.
    Grouted Folk Art Crosses

• gibsona
    15 years ago

Slow, it's awesome. I can't believe you've done all that since Saturday! Well, I can believe it! After all, it's you! Tell me, how did you get that big cross attached to the substrate? I know how heavy it was so it couldn't have just been glue. . .I can't wait for my surgery so I can have time to play. .I intend to try something "slow-like". Wish me luck! Have a good one!
    Ann

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Wow, that is really awesome!! Can't believe how quick you finished that one!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

You never cease to amaze me with your art......this is really another Slow-masterpiece...........very inspiring......your mosaics are so uplifting and fun.........always a feast for the eyes...........!

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

wow. I love the red and gold and the flowers down the sides. very iconic.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I sure love your style!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wozer - y'all sure know how to make an old lady happy. Thanks a zillion. GIBSONA: I used GE II for the crosses. As I've said b/f, I rarely use GE II, but for special items, it's the only thing that works. Everything else was glued w/Weldbond. My DD likes it so much, she is designing a piece w/three crosses for me to make for her living room. Happy days are ahead. Since I'm on a cross kick, I found a very tall plank (over 5" wide) in the garage yesterday, and cut it and put together - y'all ready for this - a 5" tall cross. Now I gotta figure out what to do w/it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm