Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New and Confused...

Posted by ewhite723 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 15:23

Hi Everyone,

I am new to mosaics. I would like to make some outdoor mosaics using stained glass. I understand that it is best to use thin set as the adhesive. I'm wondering how this works if the glass is transparent? It seems like it would dull the color. Does anyone know of any clear adhesive that is strong enough for outdoor use?

Thanks in advance =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New and Confused...

GE II silicone...clear

o

Definitely GEII clear for windows and doors.

Kat

o

I used GE Silicone II clear for windows and doors on my outdoor glass-on-glass piece and I am very happy with the result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

o

but if you aren't doing a GOG and you are using transparent glass then you would want a bright white substrate... so use white thinset?

o

Thank you all for your responses! For my first project I am just doing a stepping stone placing the tiles on a premade stepping stone. My first thought was to prime the stepping stone in white and then use a clear adhesive. I didn't realize at the time that the thin set I have IS WHITE....duh. It worked fine under the stained glass. Unfortunately I ordered vitreous glass for the rest of the tiles and just don't like the look of it. I'm going to order clear glass tiles and think the white thin set should work great underneath. Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here