Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bowling balls

Posted by anneinva_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 14:49

i have about 9 bowling balls donated by a bowling alley. i am going to give them to parents at school to make for our auction.

1. any suggestions on what to put them on while working so they dont roll around.

2. do you do one half first, glue and grout. then work on other half once first half is dry?

3. Is thinset a good choice for adhesive? they will go outside

thanks
anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bowling balls

Hi Anne, you can use a can or I use a towel rolled up. I personnally like to use GEII for my bowling balls. They have faired well outside. Some of our members use thinset and that works well too. When I do mine using GEII the tess sets quick enough so that I can usually work right around the ball. Using a towel cushions the work side. Be sure to take pix of what the parents come up with.

Kat

o
pick a sticky, not drippy glue

I've learned the hard way that on round surfaces, I need a sticky glue. If you use a drippy glue, it will take you forever because you can always only work on one small area on the top. So I try to use silicone on them. I've never used the geii that everyone talks about here, but I think that is silicone. If you're unsure, you might want to practice on one first.

o

do you fill in the holes with thinset? that is my plan

o

I bought a few old wooden salad bowls from the local thrift store. I then place a hand towel on them and place the ball on that. I do have a turntable which the project goes on, but even without the turntable the students would be able to turn the bowl under the ball easily to access all sides.

I also use GEII Silicone. It sets fairly quickly.

o

I set mine on a roll of masking tape on one of those plastic turntables. If tiles get to slipping, I'll use a strip of masking tape to hold them in place until the adhesive tries.

o

GE Silicone 2 for Windows and Doors,Blue, white and gold tube. I use the small tubes, easier for me to handle..it's the best glue in my opinion for the balls.

o

OK. Well, I know you'all have answered so many of these questions before, but this seems timely. I did some bowling balls last year... scuffed them up with sandpaper; used thinset to put pieces on; used ssanded grout to grout them. Now both of them have pieces falling off. :* I have two friends coming over next week with BB's and I am afraid to have them use thinset. I see that several of you suggested silicone (which is easier to use anyway)...have any of you had the pieces come off? I just don't want to mess someone else up...I can handle my own failures.

o

I did a BB about 2 years ago w/ silicone and its fared very well my granny has it on her patio she loves it and so far so good no missing pieces.

o

I have about 5 bbs out in the yard... some have been there for 7 plus yrs. We get a little bit of snow each year and heat in summer up to about 100 deg. and every one of them have held up to the weather...on the other hand, I did try something like thinset on one a few yrs ago, and what do you know... everything fell off of it from the weather. I would not use anything but the ge silicone 2 for windows and doors on a bb... hope this helps.

o

I've only done 1 bowling ball, but I made it into a fountain so it's constantly wet. I roughed up the ball and then cleaned it really well with alcohol to get any wax or oils off. I used silicone and didn't even seal the grout. I've had no problems and it's about 3-4 years old now. I've moved from FL to IL so now I do bring it in for the winter.

o

There are some grouts that have sealer already in them. I think it says on the label. I did a backsplash last summer for son in Canada and it had it already in. Was nice to not have to seal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here