Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained Glass in Backsplash? Help!

Posted by katrine822 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 14:47

Hello all,
I've found a slate backsplash that I like - it's a brick pattern with some 2x2 glass tiles interspersed. Problem is that some of the glass tiles really clash with my kitchen. I'd like to replace them and use different colored glass however, the glass tiles are just a smidge under 2x2 - more like 1 3/4x1 3/4. Do the experts here think I could get sheets of stained glass and cut it into the proper sizes and this would work? Or is it too thin? What about sharp edges? ANY help or tips would be appreciated more than you know.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained Glass in Backsplash? Help!

I will leave this one to the experts.

o

Have you tried to go to a tile specialty store, where they sell tiles and mortar? Not like a home depot, but a store that specializes in tiling. Or you could go to a stained glass shop and pick out a color you like and they can cut and grind it to the size you want and then just glue it to the glass tiles.

o

The glass is usualy only 1/8 inch. The slate I will asume is thicker then that and the glass you dont like are glass tiles which are much thicker then stained glass. You may be able to just buy some glass tiles in a color you like and cut them down with a ring saw. Or if money is no object anyone with a kiln can make you custom glass tiles in any color or design you want in the 2x2 size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here