Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

PV Project

texaswild
15 years ago

I cut the excess screen off and found a piece of MDF and plunked it on it. Even cleaned off the table saw and was ready to cut it down, but even though it's not quite squared - yeah, 1/4 in. doesn't make it worth the trouble - the piece measures approx. 24X36 inches. I'm wondering if I can use the whole board, sorta jazz the piece up w/lots of junk and mirrors and make it a wall hanging. Only two places left on all these walls to hold it, but here goes. Any suggestions y'all have to offer w/be welcome. Usually there's a reason or theme to my stuff, but don't know what reason or theme this has. HELP.

Comments (38)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Awww, it tells me photobucket has failed!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well RATZ. Having trouble w/a new computer, and don't know how to get my pictures from the camera to the right place. W/try again. 'course, Photobucket HAS been know to have troubles. I have been making tiles from a few pictures I took at the Haciendo, placing them under colored, transparent glass etc. Have so many things to choose from, especially from the mountain of tess that Jane and Cindy brought me. I tell y'all, I need another lifetime to use them all. This project w/hold lots of memories. 'twas such a pleasure seeing y'all again, and meeting DAISEY. Thank y'all - Janey and Cindy, for the wonderful stuff, a lot of which w/be put into this project. I put the blue bird round glass in at PV. Probably gave the teach a heart murmur.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

oh I see it now! so you cut the screen along the edge? do you get to bring home any of the tess, those fusions were COOL!

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

I wish I could see this, but am unable. Will check later to see if it's working! Cathy

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

RATZ.....I can't see it, either..

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

oh, I did too see it, cuz I subscribed to you...lol
    I didn't want to miss anything, so I saw it, this afternoon.
    it's the one, on the white board, right? cuz it's the only one posted, with the PV project on there.
    that's going to be a lot of background, to cover..
    did you bring back some of the sand, too?..lol

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Becky - yeah sand LOL. Don't know what's happening w/my pictures except a new computer and I don't know how to work it yet. No, we couldn't bring tess away from the workshop. NT. I was instructed to make a note of the number of each tile I used so I could order the same color when I returned home. Oh, yeah, y'all KNOW I did that, huh? I've never worked exclusively w/vitreous glass tiles before. I DID learn that the Italian ones are the ones to use - NOT the cheap Made-in-China ones I had bought. I was always wondering why I couldn't cut mine right w/o them shattering. The colors on the ones the teach buys are very limited - lots of pastels/washed out colors, so I wasn't impressed w/the brand. She had every color on the sample board. I KNOW there's a lot of area to cover, but I've made tiles of some photos - wallet sized - that w/go on this, along w/some of the fused tiles inside some of the little nichos I bought last year and other things from PV, so it'll be sorta a Memories of PV Mosaic. Yes, NT - the nylon window screen worked fine for mobility. The design under waxed paper then the screen. The Weldbond really holds. This would be a good way for me to work on other areas too hard to work on site - like my fireplace.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

fun stuff. I am so glad you're back and mosaicing again. Quiiting had you too long. LOL.

By the way, which name brands are made in China?? I' want to steer clear of them.

How was teh class by the way?? Did you learn lots of stuff?? Or have you written it some place and I missed it?? Wanna hear all about your trip

• meadel
    15 years ago

It's SOOOO nice to see you back here Slow~ we all missed you terribly!!
    I always have to say that whenever you post your pics, I get so lost in your art that I sometimes forget to comment.
    I love this new swirly pattern and am intrigued by the screen underneath. I've yet to do that. I can't wait to see what masterpiece emerges !!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It's nice to BE back, too. I worked a bit on it for two days, but had to stock the cupboards today, and haven't had time to play. Hope this link works. It'll be so filled up and busy that the original design w/be totally lost in all the memories, but that's the way I like it. My stuff is for me and my house alone, so ...Re the quality of tiles, the cheaper ones are China knockoffs. The good quality is Italian. The teacher uses Vitricco.
    {{!gwi}}

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Looking more like a "slow" project now!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh Ya!!! Another "Slow" Masterpc coming up!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got it covered last evening except the border. Debating on whether to make a square black/white border or sawtooth black/white. To church w/my friend Becky, then lunch and to parts of the county unknown, so won't be much mosaicing today. Won't be a masterpiece, but it'll be a memory piece. Using tons of stuff from Cindy and Jane's gift bag.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Can you get a closeup of that fused flower? I vote square edging!! But you've probably already finished by now you're so fast!!!ha!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The closeup for you, CALAM. I don't think the kiln was hot enough to melt them well, and of course one is crooked - my signature. All is glued - the empty spot by the blue dot upper left I caught after the picture, filled it in w/what was handy - black. Hope to grout tomorrow.
    PV Glued

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My DD said she gets a photobucket add to join when she looked. Trying this again.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Very Nice! I am liking the border too! Gonna look Great grouted!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shouldn't have grouted after cleaning house, doing laundry cooking a Brisket w/Spinach Stuffing - yum, but I did. Still needs a major clean up but I'm busy for the next two days, so it'll have to wait for that along w/filling and painting the sides, putting on heavy duty hangers, which I don't have yet, blah, blah, blah. Still don't know why my pictures don't show up, so w/try. I can see them, but let me know if you can't.
    PV Memories Grouted

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! It is sooo amazing how the grout just does such a finishing touch on this!!! WOW!!! L.O.V.E it!!!

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

oh, this is gorgeous!!! It is nice that it is a memory piece for you, but I'd call it a masterpiece! Beautifully done, thanks for sharing it.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

What a good memory.............love how you incorporated the picture and all the other goodies...........great border........you're GOOOOD!

• meadel
    15 years ago

Oh, it's delicious !! ... oops.. Sorry, I'm drooling over your brisket ! I guess you filled your pantry. I sure wish that I live close to you.
    Well, this piece is sure desert for the eyes. What a great way to save memories. ( too bad there isn't a scratch-n-sniff piece to remember the brisket..yummmm)
    I'm curious about the fused millie, my bff has a kiln and I have millie..Do you have any idea of what the schedule/recipe is??

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I THINK she set the kiln at 1430 degrees, but don't remember how long she set it for - not long, cuz we all had to watch it for the countdown to turn it off. She left it to cool over night. She hadn't bothered to read the directions fully to program the digital timer etc. The one that's crooked was cut way bad, and I was tired of looking through her mixed bag of mili, so chose that one. One of the ladies put a whole bunch of stringers in a metal kiln mold. As you know that had to be wrapped in the kiln paper - a one-time use for those - and they weren't exactly fused together when she brought them out, so she re fired them. Then, of course one can cut those w/a wet saw, and make their own mili. In her case, she cut them w/the wheeled nippers, and fused them to make her little multi-colored rounds. That was sorta neat to watch. If I had a kiln, I'd go absolutely nutz over another hobby, so I'm gonna TRY not to yeild to the temptation. The teacher had fused glass for 14 of her early days in glass - making plates/platters etc. I can see where it would grab and hold on to you, but have no use for large pieces - just stuff to incorporate into my work. Thanks, y'all. I like it too. This is the last large piece for me - totally out of wall space for biggies. Small stuff for the future, and then there's the whole outside.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Really Beautiful!! I think this is my favorite piece I've seen of your's!! Great that it is a memory piece of your trip to Mexico to meet with GW friends!Jan

• klinger
    15 years ago

Oh Slow,you sure transformed that piece of mesh. It was such fun to see you and spend some fun time in P.V. This is such a good memory board from your week there. I love how you incorporated all those different things and the pics under glass. The grout was the finishing touch. I've been working since we got back, and also so tired. It's been amazing you got that finished so fast.
    Cindy

• gibsona
    15 years ago

Slow - that's amazing! Like the others said - now it's "A Slow" piece. What color is the grout? Looks almost silver. Glad you're back and busy over here.
    Ann

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

now thats art, it has feeling, emotion and heart. Its purposeful and meaningful. so much better than those technically correct canned pretty pictures that anyone can learn to make... because they are mute and this talks

Take a bow!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Wow! So glad to get back here to see your new work, Slow!
    Love that you've made a memory piece!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Beautiful Slow, Glad you made this into YOUR work and not some narrow minded idea the teacher had!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well!!! Y'all sure make me smile happy this morn. The grout is about half/half gray and black to make my favorite charcoal color. Thank y'all so much. I just seem to go a little crazy on everything - can't help myself, so have finally accepted that this is my style, and I'm stickin' to it. Many thanks for your support.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Well, now THAT'S more like it! It is sooooo you, so much more interesting than what they wanted you to do. Will you send them a pic of the finished project?....just to rub it in lol!

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

Def your style! Why on earth would anyone try to change that?
    Its lovely.
    And you know, you can always change the pieces on the walls every now and then.....winter, spring, summer, fall.....LOL

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

AWESOME SLOW!! Another masterpiece and I agree with everything NT just said. This is art right here and right with you!!
    I have a question. It looks like you have the border covered with some kind of paper, pix something. What did you cover them with? I'm kinda confused but that's nothing unusual these days. LOL.

Gorgeous work

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Taking a break from preparing for weekend house guests - cooking up a bunch of good stuff - and decided to check in w/my friends here. I soooooo appreciate y'all's support and comments. SQUIRRELLY, I sent pictures and comments to everyone in the class, including Sam and the teacher. Got fantastic response from Sam, and a couple nice positive responses for a couple others, but nothing from anyone else. I don't care - I like it. WACKY - I took the workshop in hopes of learning some new techniques and get new ideas. They just weren't my style, but I soaked up the art atmosphere of the compound and the city, so all was not lost. Yeah - a GOOD decorator w/change things about, but I'm nuts - I want it all out at the same time. I LOVE my home, and enjoy the bizzyness of it. Thanks, MER. As I said - I don't consider this a masterpiece but it pleases me. Re the pictures. I printed out several pictures I'd taken of the compound grounds, the teacher, a floor cloth that Sam had made and the one CALAM posted here, and used Modge Podge to glue them to colored transparent glass - then another coat on the back of Modge Podge, and when dried, Weldbonded them to the MDF substrate. They're not very visible until up close, but I know what they are, and it reminds me of the beauty of the place. Thanks again, y'all. Now back to the kitchen.

• emtnest
    15 years ago

I love that you incorporated the photos of your good time in your mosaic work of art...beautiful!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

I wanna see it hung!!! :) I love everything you do!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting