Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Luna moth stand

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 14:41

I first posted about this almost 3 years ago! (link below).
Then I got stuck because of some things I didn't like, and the fact that the tiles in lines opus tessulatum background was really hard. One of the many things I learned doing this is that I should have drawn guide lines for the rows of tiles first, then drawn my figures. As it was I was eyeballing it, and in some places I know I would have placed some of the figures differently if I'd thought about where the grout lines for the background were going to fall. That said, it is finally ready to grout. Well I'm sure I'll tweak it a bit more then, but its going to happen out doors in the spring. I'll bring up this same post when I do it and add on.
So here is the thin setted but not grouted stand. It is still sitting on a lazy susan and the plate on top isn't attached, but I think I will probably use it. I imagine that I will paint the terra cotta edges at the top and bottom the adjoining grout color, but I'm not sure yet.

CIMG3186

CIMG3187

CIMG3188

CIMG3189

Just to make it harder on myself, I plant to use 4 or 5 different grout colors.

It will be a plant stand or side table on one of my porches.

Thanks for looking.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Luna Moth thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
My thread disappeared!

Thread came back. Not sure what happened.

I also meant to say above, that I brought this project up out of the cellar and resolved issues and got it to this point in about a week. Just had to let it sit for a while!
Kathy

This post was edited by concretenprimroses on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:48

o
RE: Luna moth stand

Don't know what all the fuss was about your background tiles not being straight. WHO w/notice w/such beautiful mosaic work all over. I LOVE this project. At first I thought it was gonna be a birdbath, but ohhhhh how much better it is as a plant stand. You're soooooo good at this.

o

lol....mine are never straight.

I like this project.

o

Kathy!!! So glad you are finishing this!!! WOW!!! I was just mentioning you to a new friend from Ontario(mosaic artist) because I sent her...a tumbler!!!!

o

I'm constantly using my tumbler! And I always think of you.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here