Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polyurethane with UV protection

Posted by jenel (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 14:14

My outdoor shower mosaic contains some stone beads that have a colored coating. The bead store suggested that I protect them with polyurethane that has UV protection because otherwise, they'll fade. Do any of you know a name brand I can search for? Also, the mosaic contains mostly stained glass. Will the polyurethane stay on the glass, or will it peel off and look ugly? I'm thinking the best route would be to individually paint the polyurethane onto each bead. I'd rather do it right than do it fast. I'm not worried about inconvenience. I will take as much time as I need to do the job right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polyurethane with UV protection

I wouldnt cover the stained glass with it as it doesnt need protection and it ptobly would peel off IMO-I dont know a brand of poly with UV protection, sorry!

o

Thanks, wacky! I've come to the same conclusion about the glass. It's better not to take the chance that it would peel and look horrible. I think the right answer is to paint whatever I use onto the stone beads.

o

Polyurethane UV protection is only a short term protection - basically yacht varnish will last a few years then start flaking and need sanding down and replacing. Stone seal might be better as it would just fade away over time, rather than flake and could then be rejuvenated with another coat, but I think you'd do better to just leave it be

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Adhesives and Grouts

o

I ended up getting a crafter's polyurethane from Hobby Lobby because everything I found at Home Depot was for wood. (That's probably the yacht polyurethane you mentioned, african.) It doesn't say anything about UV protection, but I gave up on that idea. All I can do is the best I can do. I'm going to brush it on the stain flowers before I grout. The only thing the bead store was worried about was fading, and even if the stone flowers fade to white, I think it will still look good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here