Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fabric or paper under glass

Posted by ernie85017 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 13:50

I have seen mosaics with pictures, letters, and even fabric adhered to clear glass, then used as a custom mosaic tile.
Does anyone have a link on how this is done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fabric or paper under glass

this real issue is to use a glue that doesn't soak into the paper or to seal the paper before hand. I have had success with silicone with this, Some ppl swear by doing modge podge 1st,, and I have even closed clear tape over something 1st. wwhat ever you do, never use the original photos because it is a risk.

o

I have done this a lot only I did it to the cross that I did then I sprayed it with a sealer .Then I used safety glass over the top .
Photobucket

These are done with the velum wrapping paper (purple one)
The other is fabric .I did not spray that one it was a texture fab I just held something over it till it dried.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I have had great success with fabric under clear glass. I lay down a sheet of plastic, then the fabric, right side up, then coat the piece of clear glass with Mod Podge. Then I press the glass down onto the fabric. I hold it down firmly, then release. Then I go back several times and press down firmly to make sure that the glass is completely adhered to the fabric with no gaps. After it is thoroughly dry, I lift it up and with sharp scissors I cut the fabric close around the edges of the glass.

o

Same here - I use Mod Podge on paper or cloth. I give it several coats of MP to make sure it's completely sealed b/f putting the tile down.

o

Oh --- no .....another idea to use !!! LOL
Thanks for the post and replies - I was always wondering about that.

o

Would weldbond brushed on work the same as modpodge? The package says it makes a good sealer when diluted.
nana: I am not sure what you did. Is that crash glass over it? It's so sparkly!

o

Yes crash glass and I do use a lot of glitter some times.

o

You could try Mac glue, it is also supposed to be good for glass on glass. I think it is available from Maryland mosaics or one of those mosaic online shops,in the US, might be expensive, but a little goes a long way, use sparingly.

o

How does Mac differ from E 2000 (I probably have that number wrong, but you know what I mean), weldbond and silicone.
How many different glues can there be? Weldbond seems to be a glorified Elmer's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here