Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie85017

fabric or paper under glass

I have seen mosaics with pictures, letters, and even fabric adhered to clear glass, then used as a custom mosaic tile.

Does anyone have a link on how this is done?

Comments (9)

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

this real issue is to use a glue that doesn't soak into the paper or to seal the paper before hand. I have had success with silicone with this, Some ppl swear by doing modge podge 1st,, and I have even closed clear tape over something 1st. wwhat ever you do, never use the original photos because it is a risk.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I have done this a lot only I did it to the cross that I did then I sprayed it with a sealer .Then I used safety glass over the top .

These are done with the velum wrapping paper (purple one)
    The other is fabric .I did not spray that one it was a texture fab I just held something over it till it dried.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I have had great success with fabric under clear glass. I lay down a sheet of plastic, then the fabric, right side up, then coat the piece of clear glass with Mod Podge. Then I press the glass down onto the fabric. I hold it down firmly, then release. Then I go back several times and press down firmly to make sure that the glass is completely adhered to the fabric with no gaps. After it is thoroughly dry, I lift it up and with sharp scissors I cut the fabric close around the edges of the glass.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Same here - I use Mod Podge on paper or cloth. I give it several coats of MP to make sure it's completely sealed b/f putting the tile down.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Oh --- no .....another idea to use !!! LOL
    Thanks for the post and replies - I was always wondering about that.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would weldbond brushed on work the same as modpodge? The package says it makes a good sealer when diluted.
    nana: I am not sure what you did. Is that crash glass over it? It's so sparkly!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes crash glass and I do use a lot of glitter some times.

• veronrose
    12 years ago

You could try Mac glue, it is also supposed to be good for glass on glass. I think it is available from Maryland mosaics or one of those mosaic online shops,in the US, might be expensive, but a little goes a long way, use sparingly.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How does Mac differ from E 2000 (I probably have that number wrong, but you know what I mean), weldbond and silicone.
    How many different glues can there be? Weldbond seems to be a glorified Elmer's.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks