Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

What would you do?

marquest
12 years ago

I found this really cheap and at first was just going to use as is in my Japanese garden that I am designing. I have searched the net and most of the garden ornaments in this type of garden is very low key.

As is it is a low key look but for some reason I keep looking at it and think it needs something.

My artistic vision is pretty low and I know you all are so awesome with your design vision my question is.,,,,,

What would you suggest I could do in the line of tile color I could use that would give it a uplift and still keep it low key for a Japanese garden?

It is solid cement and it took two of us to lift the darn thing, It weights about 50 lbs. if that helps with tile choice.

{{gwi:196511}}

Comments (7)

• silvamae
    12 years ago

You could mosaic the entire piece with soft muted shades of dull red and gold. Hope the link below works.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• texaswild
    12 years ago

This is the style I think of most when I see Buddahs. I love Laurel Skye's style and techniques. Look at her small Buddah.
    Laurel Skye's Site

• texaswild
    12 years ago
  • Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Here is a couple of things I have done...Garden Faerey before and after...

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did this to myself I had to ask for suggestions. You guys are so great.

silvamae, you captured me with your color suggestions. So muted and soft. yummy.

slowmedown, sent me over to that site and I was lost for days going oh and awe.

calamity_j, up the anti and had to show me all those gorgeous projects of before and after.

Now I am really confused. lol

Since I am thinking of using it as part of the garden decor in the Japanese garden I am thinking maybe a soft muted tone might be fitting for that type of garden. But I like the sparkle so much I might pick up another similar statue to use in my wild flower garden.

This is a new piece but they are really inexpensive from what I have seen in the past. They are only charging 10.00 for them. Usually you are lucky to get a lightweight piece of plastic for that price. You do not get a 4' tall concrete statue of this quality.

Ok I am going to print the pic and get some colored pencil out and see what looks good. Thank you all for making this harder. lol

I sort of like this guys colors for a Japanese garden and maybe throw in a small amount of the gold pieces in the headband and the bottom ribbon on the robe.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dugald MacInnes

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Marquest, I love MacInnes. Laurel Skye's work looks more Thai Buddhist to me, and Calamity's is more Cottage Garden Style. MacInnes is more in the Japanese tradition, I think, with a quiteness that brings to mind Zen Buddhism.

I can't believe you got that for ten bucks. I'd buy three and experiment! I know it's not what you're looking for, but I have had success painting moss on concrete garden ornaments. Looking forward to seeing the results!
    Renee

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks hosenemesis . Yes when I first looked at it I thought it said 100 bucks because that is the price I have seen.

I picked it up at Tuesday Morning if you have one in your city check them out. We finally got one here about a year ago. I have been having fun stopping in there checking them out.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz