Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Took a Mosaic Class... Need advice re grout

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

Hi there! I lurk here and know some of you. Generally I'm over at Garden Junk.

Even though I have a bowling ball started, and have broken dishes getting ready to make a mosaiced concrete table for outside, I took a mosaic class. I'm glad I did cuz I learned a lot and got some awesome wheeled nippers that no business carries around here as part of the fee.

The class project was to make a "painting" on a board and we will have one more class to grout. All 7 of us did such different designs. Of course I wanted FLOWERS!! So really 2 questions: 1) I'm tending toward black grout, tho I'm thinking this is a learning experience why not try bright blue or dark green? One concern is that it would end up being too light. 2) I know this isn't outdoor worthy, being on a wooden board and glued with weldbond but could I hang it safely on my covered porch or screen porch when its done?

Most of us didn't finish up during the classes and had to work on it at home. I don't know what I'm going to do now that its done. I looked forward to it so much every day. I also discovered that I prefer broken dishes to glass, except maybe a few glass tiles. I ended up using more dishes that I had or found for this project than the class offerings.

Thank you so much for any opinions.

Kathy

Comments (15)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What a beautiful job you did of nipping and placing your tiles together. Your grout lines are soooo nice and tight. Pretty little design as well. One dark color I sometimes us - other than charcoal or black, is a very dark green. I think it w/look really nice w/your project. So w/black or dark charcoal. Oh, I know what you mean about the dish shards - that's my preference also. Your painting looks like you've been doing this a long time.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Yes you did a great job! I love your use of plate footers also. Please use a darker grout, whatever color it may be. so many beginners use white, and for me personally anyway it can really take away from a piece. This is great and I cant wait to see it done!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your comments. I should have mentioned that the piece is about 11 x 16 inches.
    Kathy

• silvamae
    14 years ago

Speaking for myself only, my preference is either black or a pale sandstone brown. I have never been happy with a single piece that I grouted white, and one that I used green grout on turned out so ugly that I threw it away. So I vote for black or pale brown. Have fun!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Very nice!! Blue sky, flowers in middle & gray with scrolls like plants in the ground worked out well! The dishes give it more personality. Follow the ladies above, they are the experts on mosaics! If I were doing it I would go with the black or dk.charcoal think it will bring out the pattern to it's best advantage. Jan

• katishooked
    14 years ago

GC I think you did an excellent job. I'm surprised that in your first mosaic you used the footers for petals and stems. This was a perfect choice. the footers make them pop out. Heck I tossed mine footers for a long time. As for grout, I have followed the advice that I found here and never have been disappointed with the end result.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Yeah - I was also impressed w/your use of the footers, but forgot to mention that. Sweet little mosaic.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

beautiful job! congrats, yep I agree with others - I would use a neutral so it doesn't compete at all with what you have there,a med grey

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! The consensus here at home also is to not compete with the piece. So probably black/charcoal. Hopefully grouting within the week.
    I have Kaffe Fasset's book and have always admired Gaudi, so I almost HAD to use the footers. The only reason I had the pale green is cuz the kitties threw one of their dishes off the shelf. I haven't yet figured out how to cut a saucer so the little footer circle stays intact,but I would like that.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

That is adorable!!! Good Job!!! I hope the instructor gives you some pointers about types of grout etc, if not we will help those future project...cuz you are gonna be hooked now!!!! Jane

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Calamity! Nice to hear from you.
    You are right about being hooked. I feel that life has less meaning now that there is nothing to mosaic in the morning before work. The snow is melting so I'm hoping I can dig out some of my concrete pieces and go to town on them with thinset. Or this weekend, I might start to mosaic some of my blue bottles.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of my friends from the class and I got together on Saturday and finally grouted our pieces. Here is mine with charcoal grout. Haven't touched up the frame with paint yet. One of the pieces fell off that I had layered. Decided to leave it that way.

{{gwi:127056}}

Kathy

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

GOOD JOB!!! Love it! And yes, I think it will last on a covered porch, it's just the wetness and freezing directly on it that would cause damage. Did you use sanded grout? That's my preference, and I always use a grout sealer too. I go to a specialty flooring store and buy outdoor grout and sealer, but that's cuz I am mainly doing outdoor stuff. My yard is really changing since you and hubby were here!!!heh heh!

• heatherhill
    13 years ago

Terrific job! I've done a fair amount of mosaic-ing (I'm not sure if that's really a word but I use it all the time). Anyway, I can't believe that I never thought of using the footers! I've always been frustrated by having to waste so much material to get rid of them! Obviously I'm not as clever as I thought I was or I would have thought of using them as stems like you did! Love it!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

HEATHER: You can also use tham as petals. An example follows in my album.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor