Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Newest Light Blocks

becky_ia
16 years ago

These are the latest light blocks I have done. One will be for a Rotary Fundraiser this weekend. Hoping it will bring in the $$$$!

Pictures are of fronts & the backs in a stained glass patchwork.

Becky

center>

Comments (25)

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

What a nice job on them all. I especially like the last one, the color combination and the cutting are great.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

They look great and I'm sure they will be bid on!!! Those bases are so great! AND that table looks like a perfect project!!lol! I was looking into solar lights for my glass block idea as then I eliminate the whole electrical problem(DH is sooo "frugal", he shuts night lights off!)Just concerned that solar lighting isn't as bright as I want. hmmm....

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Hey those are pretty! I missed the lighting info...
    is there a little nightlight in there are a candle?

• meadel
    16 years ago

Becky you do such nice work on those glass blocks! That first one would go well in my sons room, ( he likes it and told me to make one like it!) Do those ones have christmas tree lights inside or a fixture?
    Lori

Jane, I suppose that the solar spot lights would be kinda big to fit inside ( is that how you wanted to go? Maybe just alternate solar-block to make you both happy ?

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

ooo- love #3! More nice blocks; thanks for sharing!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Oh those are nice and i like the frames for them also.

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

I love them all but especially love 3 & 4. That wood around them is great.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Ooooooooooooo - nice, BECKY. Very pretty - all of them.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful Becky! Your lucky to have someone make those frames for you.which one is the auction piece?Let us know how it goes..

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Very pretty!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Those are really nice. I think the last is my favorite. Good luck . Let us know how it goes!!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL, Becky!! I LOVE how you also did the backs, gives it an even more finished look!
    Is the first one a rooster face?
    Love the colors on the quilt block!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Love the last 2 shots - wonderful colors and super cutting! If you don't mind me asking, where do you bring out the light cord when you're using a frame? Haven't done any with a frame, just the block where I bring the cord out the bottom.

Pat

• foxglove44
    16 years ago

Outstanding!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Becky, your lights are so attractive. Nice job and very creative!

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning, Thank you for all the nice compliments. There are two blocks here, the Amber colored one, with the faceted jewel in the middle and the amber patchwork back-is the one for the Rotary Auction which is held this Saturday night. I will let you know what it brings. There are alot of really neat things for the fundraiser and one never knows what any item will bring. Just need two people who each want it bad enough! We'll see. The second one is an Iowa Hawkeye (football) done in their colors of yellow & black. I took the picture with no flash hoping you could see what it looks like in the dark. Not a really good picture.

The lighting in the blocks is a string of 20 minature lights (like Christmas tree lights) that I got at my local hardware store in the lightening department. My husband drills a hole in each block with a glass drill bit. The stands/frames also have a hole in the bottom for the lights with a groove cut out towards the back for the cord to run along. You have to put the block into the frame before putting the lights in. The lights & stands are what really makes the blocks-everyone who sees them lit up "ohs" & "ahs".

I am working on two more that are almost finished. One is a flag and the other a cardinal. Will post pictures when they are finished.

Becky

• klinger
    16 years ago

gorgeous lights, I hope they do very well at the auction,
    Cindy

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Love all of them!

• ohtobedone
    16 years ago

Your blocks are awesome! Would you believe I'm doing a flag and a cardinal? A like minds! Can't wait to see how your auction goes! Good luck! Sally

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sally, Oh my gosh! That is so crazy! Please post your pictures too!

Becky

• natasha687
    16 years ago

My Mom lives in Iowa and I recognize that Hawkeye bird! They really take pride in that and you see it everywhere. I think it is so uniting. Your block should really do well, they are beautiful and beautifully done. You did the Hawkeye bird perfect!
    Natasha687

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Ahhhh, a Hawkeye...NOT a rooster!
    You can tell I grew up in the city! LOL!!
    SALLY: Yeah, post pictures please!!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Those are great!!! Hope you really make some good money for the auction. I LOVE the 3rd one...It just speaks to me for some reason!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

How did the auction go?

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Your light blocks are GREAT! So nicely done!
    I'm looking forward to hearing how the auction goes, too. I'm making a mosaic piece to donate to a silent auction in April (IF it turns out well.)
    Yours are beautiful!!!
    Katie

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living