Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

StyroFoam Maniquin

oldcrafty
10 years ago

I have had this styro bust for quite some time. Drug it out yesterday to start on it. Think I should have asked questions or done more research before I started!!! I have so far covered about half of it with strips of fiberglass mesh from the building supply store and thinly mixed thinset mortar. Have I totally done the wrong thing or should I continue? On the curved areas I have little jagged edges sticking out this morning. IF I can continue would it be suggested that I coat the entire piece again with another thin coat of thinset to smooth it out more? Thanks for any guidance you care to share.

Comments (26)

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

forgot to say I want to mosaic on and it will be for the outdoors! Guess I thought ya'll could read my mind!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

If I were in your place, I would carry on . . . it sounds like you are right on track.

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Progress from Monday day1 of work

href="http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/oldcrafty1/media/MosaicGardenLady003.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

Day 2 She's all coated. Will probably have to give another thin coat tomorrow to fill in a few of the mesh holes that didn't get totally coated, I suppose that is what I need to do !?!?!? Any other thoughts as to the work you see so far and advise is welcomed! First time to try this wrapping stuff so I'm feeling my way thru it.

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

Def needs more thinset. I put it on to the point there is no mesh showing at all.
    and when the thinset is set but still "green" you can sand and smooth and make a beautiful surface to mosaic on.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

For someone who supposedly didn't know what to do, you sure made a good start. You're doing great, and you've been given expert advice. This is gonna be interesting to watch. Please keep us posted w/WIP pictures.

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the guidance wacky. I look at past posts and try to figure out what I need to do and then I start to second guess what I have done! I will definitely get some more thinset on it. I just hope what I see in my head will work out on this mannequin Slowmedown! I always so do appreciate every ones in put, sometimes I think I will never learn all of what I need to know!

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

Wacky knows what she's talking about and you got off to a great start

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK.... need advise again. I have it coated real good with thinset and am going let it cure real good until next week, no time this week to work on it. Being this will be outdoors am I to attach my tess with thinset or GEII Silicone or something else?? I was thinking thinset but need ya'lls wonderful advise again! It will NOT be in a covered area, it will be exposed to all the elements. And just as well ask now! Suggestions for grout for when I get to that point. I have Mapei and I have admix Will that be sufficient or is their a better choice? I am keeping a log of what I'm doing and hoping I won't have to ask so many questions in the future! THANKS

• silvamae
    10 years ago

I can only tell you what I've done and what worked for me. I have a GOG totem that's been outside in the elements for over 4 years. I used GE Silicone 2 for the adhesive and thinset for the grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's GOG totem

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Then I did an outdoor sign on Wedi board; used MAC glue for the adhesive and used Maipei sanded grout and sealed it well with an outdoor grout sealer. It's been about 2.5 years since it was installed and it's also holding up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's outdoor sign

• texaswild
    10 years ago

I've only used thinset on all mosaics outside, except on a couple of glass totems, on which I used GE II. I use as an example of how strong Mapei thinset is, the concrete rooster I mosaiced w/stained glass for my Bro down in Louisiana. When the Ouachita River overflowed it's banks a few yrs. back, his rooster was under water for nearly two months. When I scrubed all the mud and gunk off, after the water went down, not one piece of glass fell off. If you use Mapei, there's no need for the admix. It already has the polymer added to the powder mix.

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for advise So I take it with the mannequin being coated in thinset it's OK to use thinset for the adhesive. Will start attaching tess next week! Slow when I got started you advised me to use Mapei and that's all I have used. A friend argues that anything will "do" but she has had to put multiple things out to the trash man as her tess falls off after a short period of time. Other than the squirrel feeders I did when I first started everything has held. My mistake there was I adhered to wood which I've learned is not do-able and one time to PVC pipe which I should have used GEII. She gets mad at me b/c I always tell her "But the girls on the forum said..........." and ya'lls advise is what I always follow!!!! I really have learned soooo much from all of you!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Mapei is the best! I learned about it from slow, and I won't use anything else.

One time I used some off-brand grout sealer that I bought at a garage sale, and just about ruined my mosaic. Never Again will I use "anything" on my projects.

• aaronokon
    10 years ago

How is your sculpture coming along?

• brokenbitmosaics
    10 years ago

I'm interested in seeing what you do with her. Gonna be neat.

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

yes, you are making the right decision using thinset

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope to start back on her tomorrow. I'm anxious to start adhering tess. Been working overtime so I've had to let her sit.

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WooHoo Finally lost that just jump off and do it fear and got started! Haven't done much yet but I'm glad it is started. I already see some color placement that I wish I would have done differently, but not going to change it now.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Wow, you DID jump in! She is going to be gorgeous.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

OMGoodness. Your start is fantastic. WOW - I can't wait to see the progress. As I said b/f, you've been holding back on us for a looooooong time. BEAUTIFUL choices. LOVE this.

• segrieb
    10 years ago

Wowee, Oldcrafty! A bold, exciting start! Please continue posting your progress... Susan Griebel, Rome City, IN

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well she won't be ready to grace my garden for Easter as I had hoped but she is "getting dressed". It's been a real fun project to work on.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Sooo beautiful!
    Kathy

• texaswild
    10 years ago

What a great mosaicing job. She looks a little tropical. BEAUTIFUL.

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have made a LITTLE progress, working on the back now. It really won't ever be seen because of where she will be placed, so I'm basically using up scraps and making flowers and such to "tattoo" her back. The big pink ribbon is for myself and the smaller ribbon with wings is my Mom who has lost the battle and has flown away.

• barbfrizzell1955
    9 years ago

Great use of scraps and the back will be just as pretty as the front!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County