Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using 2 grout colors on one piece....

Posted by love4trees (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 08 at 10:25

Hi all,
Here is the tree I am currently making. I'd like to grout the trunk, branches and roots with a mocha (but willing to hear other suggestions) and the rest of the mosaic in another color (yet to be determined). It was suggested to me to grout the trunk, branches and roots now, before laying the rest of the tesserea. But I've seen posts where they say to just mask off the other areas after all the tess is layed, but then I read that doing that, the grouts don't have a defined line between the two, etc. So what IS the best way to grout seperate areas with different grout colors?
I don't know how to add a photo but here is my flickr site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovetrees/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using 2 grout colors on one piece....

I've masked off before and I've grouted as I went too. I can't say if I liked one method better than the other. If you're just wanting those areas mocha, I'd probably grout them first then work on the other areas.

o

I can't offer any grout advice, but I really like the work you've done so far. Are you working on a plywood base?

o

LOVE it already! I also peeked at the rest of your pics and You went to Kokomo Glass? With out me!?lol! LOVE your new kitchen..droooooolllling! I think it is personal pref for the grouting and when. I did a chickadee that was 3 grout colors, I did the whole mosaic first, then grouted each color, masking off, I I'd suggest grouting now for yours, at least that's what I'd probably do!

Here is a link that might be useful: chickadee

o

Oh that is neat. I don't know anything about the grouting thing now or later. But i will follow the others I have something that needs 2 different grout colors so i will mask. But that tree is awesome and when i get some more time i am going to browes your photos.

o

Copied and pasted your link but was unable to pull it up - on daughter's computer and it is soooooooooo slow.

o

Fabulous tree !! I love it!
I like to use multiple grouts, I usually mask off with tape also.
I make the grout a bit thicker so it won't run.
I can't wait to see it finished!

o

That tree will be amazing! Such precise work! Can't wait to see the progress! Jennie

o

Wow, I sure do like that........I've done both also....maybe (personal opinion) would go ahead and grout the tree trunk now.

o

WOW! That is BEAUTIFUL!! Looking forward to seeing what you do. Also, liking that you asked the ? so I can learn more!

o

WOW, that tree is wonderful. I look forward to seeing the rest.

o

Home to my wonderful fast computer to find your great tree. Fabulous work. You probably have finished by now, but I agree w/GYPSIE - grout now and tape for later color grouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here