Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlee_gw

Linee 'Matilda' WIP

LinLee
16 years ago

I know that I posted this frame a while ago...but can't seem to locate it now. Anywhoo...here's the WIP, again.

The frame: size is about 40"x52"

The picture: 24"x36" picture transferred to Hardiboard

using graphite paper

Beginning to glue!

and more...

and more...

and this is as of today...

Comments (51)

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Linlee this is out of this world,I've been lurking over there so I could watch your progress.I can't believe your talent ,wish I had just the amount you have in your little finger.Your drawing and making your patterns is in a leaque of it's own then all the cutting and the details oh my goodness I'm speechless...totally amazing!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Wow, it's really starting to come together now. Gorgeous piece,
    Cindy

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

I am amazed how you are putting this together. Do you just pick a section to start on, or do you just dive in where you feel like starting? Those are beautiful colors you're using.

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys.

sirius,
    In this particular case of a bouquet, I started with the
    layering of which flowers are in front of the others...
    to maintain some sort of perspective. I know
    what I'm doing, color/glass wise with the
    stems & leaves, however the cord has to be done
    first (still no idea as to what it will be) then
    lastly the background...still working on ideas there too.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Fantabulous! I love that you do WIP shots of your projects. They are so large and intricate that it's fun to see the progress along the way.

I hate to even suggest something to a Great One, but what about gold Van Faux for the cording? It would give you a little bit of of glamour without too much bling.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Great WIP pics! Love to watch you create!
    "Matilda" huh? Any story behind that name?

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Andrea...name calling is against the forum rules! ;)
    Your idea is an interesting one, however, being the
    lonely object in the bottom of the pix, I'd be afraid that the
    bit of reflective bling may draw too much attention.
    I'm already uncertain as to whether the eye will
    drop there as it is. I'll play around with it, thanks :)

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's what I see when I look at it.
    Call me wacky, but I tend to personify things with a face.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Oh Linlee!!! Freakin' AMAZING!!! I'd be lucky to do just one amazing pc like yours!!!! The patience and talent! WOW!!! I feel so plain jane..waaahhh!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

That is looking awesome.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Even at this point, to say "WOW" would be an understatement! I am in awe of your artistic flair and talent.

I'm wondering if you could take more photos, but close-ups. I'm a detail nut.

Oh, and what is Hardiboard?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Tiffy, it's cement coated foam board - real light.

Linlee, where are you drawn to as focal point right now?
    without glass - for me it was the center flower but now I'm not finding a particular spot. Do you have a goal for that or just playing by "ear"?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, my - another masterpiece. Your style is to die for. I had thought you were putting it on the glass in the frame, but see you're using hardibacker instead. Very beautiful. TIFFY: Hardiboard is a made of concrete - for counter tops in kitchens/baths.

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Slow! (Glad to see you up and about)

Nice: the focal, as I see it (insert crazy smiley here)
    is the largest openfaced flower. It's the only
    one-of-a-kind element...except for the cord. But I
    suppose that after all this work everyone will
    be drawn to the stoopid cord as a focal...sheesh.
    Maybe Andrea was right and I should do something special with it...

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I agree w/Andrea - gold cord.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Oh... it's beautiful, Linlee! So intricate... and a beautiful blend of colors! You are just amazing to me.... the patience.. the patience! Love your WIP pictures.. it's fun to "watch" your work!
    Katie

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

How beautiful!! The colors and the flow are perfect! I am so-o-o-o envious of those who can actually draw and have it look like what it's supposed to be! Couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag even if the top was open....

Pat

• cadonna
    16 years ago

Linlee
    This is SO beautiful! I have loved watching your progression. Your cutting skills are amazing. What method do you use for cutting your glass shapes?

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

OMG your work is so beauteful !!!! You blow my mind.

• foxglove44
    16 years ago

OH MY... that is amazing!
    You do beautiful work. I love everything about it.
    betsy

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

Agreeing with the group...this is totally awesome! I would love to tackle a project of this caliber. It is going to be a masterpiece and I simply love looking at it. Thanks for posting and keep us updated.

Becky

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Yes, this is just spectacular.......what beautiful work...concentration and talent!!! Love your colors....this is going to be a masterpiece!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

O.K. Linlee,I want to know what you can't do..you really are an amazing talented artist.I thought the round orange things were beads but they are glass aren't they that you have cut.Wow!!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all are such confidence builders! :) Thank you

Also thanks for the cord suggestions. I'll be playing with the gold and the
    red today along with the suggestion of black
    from senga318.
    Kind of at a standstill until it's decided.

Annie: I can't speak in front of a crowd.
    Everything else seems to be a combination of research & practice...right?

Latest pix:

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

drooly...

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Linlee where do you find all your beautiful beads?We don't have a bead store where I live???

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mostly Michael's...nowhere fancy.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oooooooooooh boy!

• TREESA207
    16 years ago

Linlee,
    This is one of the prettiest pieces I have ever seen!!
    I LOVE RED Very beautiful and such detail!
    Happy Valentine's Day

• klinger
    16 years ago

Gosh, that's sure beautiful.
    I love the great design and shapes. This will be stunning when you're finished,
    cindy

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

OMG, that's exquisite!
    it's beautiful and I'm amazed at the patience and precision of this...geez, where'd you come up with such a tetailed plan?

I'm guessing you must NOT have cats in the house...lol
    many compliments to you for this undertaking....

Becky .(*_*).

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

This is really looking fab Linlee!!! I can just imagine the outdoor creations(landscapes)you design!!! We'll definitely be checking the progress while in Mexico, they have a computer for guests to access!!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Oh geez!! That is an Oooooh and Aaaaah piece! The details! Truly beautiful!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Wow...that has to be one of the most beautiful things I have every seen and it's not even finished yet! Can't wait to see it finished! Great job!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

OMG, this is just sooo amazingly beautiful and it isnt even done yet.
    Bianchi

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Aha - beads! I thought all of those small pieces were hand cut. Not that it's any less impressive because you used beads!

Still cogitating on that cord. Can you leave a space and glue a real cord and tassel on after grouting? I don't know that that wouldn't also draw the eye, though. hmmm

Pat, I am also severely lacking in the drawing department. I have a cousin who can draw anything but doesn't do it. He says it's boring and that anyone can do it. As if!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Gosh what great work .Looking good!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

All your pieces are a work of art ,a treasure!!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow I haven't been here in awhile...but thought that I'd wrap up this thread with the final piece.

Thank you all for your support and guidance :)
    Lin

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I LOVE it. A true work of art.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is one beautiful piece of art. I love the flowers. I love the background. I love the blend of colors. Great job.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Linlee,

That is just OUTSTANDING!!! A real piece of art. Hoping you will have that at your gallery showing!!!

Such perfect cutting skills!! I am amazed you haven't been cutting glass your whole life!! Hey, saw on the flika site that Matilda will be seen in a new book. How cool is that!!!! You have arrived!!!!

How DO you transfer that imagine onto hardiboard?. And it looks like your hardiboard is white?? I would really like to be able to do this -would make it so much easier to follow a pattern...

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh Linlee!!! It is soooo GORGEOUS!!! (I seem to be stuck on that word lately..but this is Capital letters!!!)Those are sooo your colors too!!!Thank you so much for posting this, it's good to hear from you!!!

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

WOW!! This is absoutely gorgeous. Your work is outstanding, so precise. The composition, the colors - perfect!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I have been out of town and had missed this thread all together. I'm blown away now seeing it. How wonderful this piece is! You should be thrilled with your result. What a wonderful piece of art you have created. What a talent you are!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Yep... Matilda is featured in Brit Hammer's new book on mosaics. It will be available on Sept 5th at Blurb.com

From the list of artists that I know of in the book, it will be chocked full of inspirational pics.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Ditto to it all. Marvelous and stunning...true work of art. You did yourself proud....

Becky

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Oh My God!...The time in that has to be astronomical!!
    What an unreal piece of art! Wow! A true artist for sure.
    Amazing to have you here! You are such an inspiration to all of us!. So exciting to kinda know a super star!
    Bravo!!!!!!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all :)

Mermaid, I transferred my drawing to white primed hardiboard using graphite paper.

NT...you're hired.;)

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

WoW WoW WoW WoW!

Sitting at monitor with mouth agape here. All my sentiments have been said above.
    This was so Impressive I stopped DH to show him, now we are bug eyed together.

This is a type of masterpiece that would catch my eye in a new way every time, I could easily be in love with this for a lifetime!

Sponsored