Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbaratx

drilling holes in glass

barbaratx
15 years ago

Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes. I want to drill holes in glass plates for a craft project. I bought a glass/tile drill bit, but it didn't work. Hubby drilled and drilled, but no hole. He did manage to crack/break one plate, though. What are we doing wrong? Any and all help welcomed.

thanks

Comments (13)

• rchovey
    15 years ago

The "secret" is to let the drill bit do the work, don't exert too much presure, and keep the tip of the bit wet. Place the glass in a shallow pan of water. Never cut closer than 3/4" from the edge. It is also helpful to turn the glass over before the bit goes all the way through and start drilling from the back side. Often the glass will crack as the bit goes trough. I broke several pieces before I discovered water! Hope this helps.

• rchovey
    15 years ago

SAFETY WARNING: ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN USING WATER AROUND ELECTRICITY! Had to add that. Good luck.

rchovey

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Haven't drilled in glass, but drilled into tiles and plates, and started w/a small bit, and worked up to a larger bit. I use a cordless drill.

• crafty777
    15 years ago

I drill alot of holes in wine bottles, I found that using oil, olive oil, crisco oil, etc, actually works alot better than water. After I drill a little bit, then put another drop of oil in the hole.

• suziqhew
    15 years ago

I scratch an indentation in the spot before beginning with the drill bit. I have an old dental pic that works perfectly for this. Then place a piece of tape over the spot where you made the scratch and begin drilling slowly. I don't usually make mosaic pieces using this technique, but.. if you do happen to break the object, be sure to save it for future stepping stones, etc.

I like the idea offered here to move to the other side of the plate before going all the way through.

Hopes this helps.

Suzi

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

it also helps to set your plate on a folded up towel. One word on glass plates - some of them are TG and will just explode when you try to drill, saw or nip them.

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

Go and find some diamond drill bits. I get mine on ebay. In a 5 pack. I use alot. I use a 13X9 pan with a piece of scrap glass and water in it just enough to cover the glass. I also use a dermal tool to do this. Plug in one not battery one.
    When drilling in to the glass angle it first then put it straight up and down, let the bit do the work. You don't have to push hardly at all.

How do i know this. I make glass windchimes and i make alot of holes.

• barbaratx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, everyone, for your input. I'll pass it along to hubby and we'll (he'll) try it again.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Lots of good advice. But the best one is to be sure you have the right drill bit. They are very expensive, but work. We use the diamond drill bit and they are only good for so many holes. Once you start breaking the plate, it usually means you need a new bit. We purchase them at our local Ace Hardware and they sell for around $10 a bit. We also use two different sizes. The first to start and make a small hole, the second to enlarge the hole. Oil works but with the diamond, just going slow and without any liquid works best for us. My husband used a drill press. We have put holes in many crystal plates as we create crystal plate-flower garden stakes.

becky

• yvonne_tpi
    15 years ago

You can also build a dam around the projected hole using modeling clay and fill with water, a lot easier and safer than a pan of water.

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

Not when you drill as many holes as i do. The building a dam would waste to much time. I drill over 200 holes in one sitting and that takes me maybe 1/2 hour to do. Now if i built a dam on everylittle chime i would be at it for days. And price would have to go up on my chimes.

• yvonne_tpi
    15 years ago

Your professional level qualifies you for a Bohle!
    I think the dam is fine for the odd windchime or suncatcher. I forgot to say a large rubber washer makes the dam more efficient.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Once again I have learned something new!
    Thanks all.

Sponsored