Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sunken Treasure' box

Posted by rchovey (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 8:32

I made this "treasure box" this week,still needs final cleaning. It will go to South Carolina to be raffled at a sorority convention. The convention is being held at the beach, therefore has a "beachy" theme. The procedes will go to the community mission effort I work with to help women who are victims of domestic violence.

Front:
Front

Side 1:
Side 1

Back:
Back

Side 2:
Side 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sunken Treasure' box

OH HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Can't enlarge the pictures. W/LOVE to see it up close. Are the straps part of the mosaic, or were they already on the box. Looks like metal straps. What is in front of the fish on Side 2? Looks like a rock. I LOVE this box.

o

Slow...thank you so much for the compliments! I don't know what happened to the pictures...they enlarged when I first put them on...going to try something else, hope this works:

Front

Side 1

Back

Side 2

Oh darn...now they are much too big..sorry!

o

How absolutely gorgeous!!!! I love it!!! The winner will too!! Cathy

o

This is absolutely beautiful!!!! Someone will be VERY lucky. I have had to look and go back and look again. Wonderfulious!!

o

OHMYGOODNESS - IT'S GOLD GROUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy, this is sooooo elegant and the tess is placed just right - looks soooooo evenly spaced. Are those BBs? LOVE the BBs and beads. I couldn't see all the little thingies in the first pictures. The grout looks like metal strapping w/designs in the first pictures. Soooooooooooo gorgeous. Truly a beautiful mosaic.

o

This is so beautiful. I'm sure it will raise a bunch of monet for a good cause.

o

Thank you all for your comments! I don't enjoy doing boxes.. I don't like the process and I'm never satisfied with the results... but to coin a phrase, "it is what it is".

Slow- the BB looking things are ball chain shower hooks that I found at one of those big "pottery" stores that sell everything, got 'em for $1/pkg, wish I'd bought 'em all.

o

OH....Van Gogh....love that stuff! You've put such neat little sea creatures here and there, it's sooo lovely!
One question, do you grout over your little sea creatures and clean later, or add them after grouting?

o

squirrellycanadian, I grout over everything, then clean later.

o

Great Job RCHOVEY!!! LOVE those fish and mermaid!!! Lovely!

o
RE: 'Sunken Treasure' box update:

I made this "beach" base to sit the box on... made it out of a "grout patty" that was out by the shed:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Grout Patty! LOL! Sounds like cow patty! It looks so realistic with the resin poured over it...like it's sitting on the beach, just washed up on shore! Is the mermaid and fish made outta glass?

o

Beautiful. And the grout patty is the icing, er... Under the cake!
kathy

o

Very clever. You're so creative. To present it, w/you hang a few pearls outta the chest slightly opened? I LOVE this piece.

o

calamity, yes the mermaid and seahorse are glass, found them at the craft store.

slow, yes, that's the plan, to have some "treasures" spilling over the edges.

Thank you all for your compliments!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here